Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

92 Points

Thu, Nov 26, 2015 5:27 AM

Many questions??

New here and on day 12 of full set of dentures top and bottom. i am unable to chew. Been eating lots of mashed potatoes mac and cheese. Have some sores on bottom inside gum and two of my self dissolving stitches have not dissolved???  How long will it be before i am able to eat again?  How long will it be before i can talk normal? What can i do to help with chewing again? Does it really get easier?

Responses

20 Messages

• 

418 Points

5 years ago

Hi....
I am a "4 week graduate" of the denture process....
Stitches will take a little more time... think by the end of third week they were all gone.
My bottoms are &$@!¥#, so very seldom have them in... Tops are awesome... 0 problems.
Still "mooshing" soft foods around; speech still a problem with blends and soft consonants in the middle ir at the end of words.
I was led to believe that even eating Christmas dinner would not really happen (by dentist). Soft veggies, mashed potatoes, dressing would be the contents.
Sores healed after having dentures filed down as gums receeded.
I have read on here that warm salt water helps with healing and orajel helps for pain.
My diet has consisted of peanut butter and scrambled eggs for protein; soft broccoli for vitamins/protein, and fruit smoothies for vitamins and anti-oxidents, and oatmeal for
Protein/fiber. A pizza sounds SOOOO goid right now!!! ☺️☺️☺️☺️
The hygenist told me that a knife and fork are my best friends right now = little tiny pieces!!!
Good luck!!! Patience is key!!!
Oh... And saying, "supercalifragilisticexpealidocious". repeatedly.

43 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Peanut butter has been my staple to ward off hunger pains, sans dentures of course.  lol

10 Messages

• 

220 Points

5 years ago

Been a week for me Friday. Have the same issues. Went to my Dentist today & he did a bit of a clean up to my upper plate to ease the ulcers that add to the experience, plus I still have the stitches. He is pretty good at explaining what he is trying to acheve with my newbies. And that is trying to convince my brain that having a mouth full of plastic (and metal) is perfectly normal. He is going to wait a bit more (maybe 2 weeks) before he starts the process of inserts. My brother has been a big help, he went through all this a few years ago and his biggest advice is to be patient. Which isn't bloody easy is it ? I'm into soups, pasta & fresh buttered bread. But my real treat is taking the dentures out & getting stuck into some ice cream. I can really appreciate how  your feeling.

30 Messages

• 

724 Points

5 years ago

I'm on the third week now and everything is small bites......Still need soft reline next week on the lower denture. And am experimenting with different adhesives. Nothing definitive yet but every week there is progress. The real positive side, I am learning to cook some good stews and soups... 

33 Messages

• 

1K Points

5 years ago

Ive been told to start with softer foods and gradually work your way up to the good stuff. i only have an upper partial and my gums were completely healed before I got them I had actually been chewing on my gums at times. I thought that since my gums were healed and I could just dive in and eat steak ha ha wrong. It took time to get used to the pressure on my gums and learning how and where I could chew certain foods til I got completely used to having them and my gums got tougher. Be patient everyone it will get better in time.