melanie_baker's profile

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Thu, Apr 27, 2017 9:10 PM

Magic mouthwash?

Magic mouthwash? What is this magic mouthwash? I've seen couple ppl talk about it but Idk what it is and when i googled it it pulled up all kinds of mouthwashes even how to make mouthwash but is there a specific brand or name for new denture wearers?

Responses

85 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

4 y ago

It is a mouthwash made if lidocaine and Mylanta.  Because of the lidocaine, you can only get it via prescription because it COMPLETELY numbs the mouth.  The mylanta helps heal mouth ulcers.

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

Melanie can't buy it on eBay.  She's probably bummed?  ;-)

I think this sounds like one of those things the Pharmacy Mixes or "Compounds" as it's called.  In the US, those are generally not cheap.  My Dermatologist prescribed something that needed to be compounded and is was going to be a couple hundred dollars.  I said H@!! NO, give me the generic alternative!

You can always check.  Maybe this stuff is cheaper?  Most people I know do/did fine with Benzodent or Orajel.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Yea I looked on eBay and found all kinds of mouthwash just not a magic 1. Lol. I didn't know if was a special type of mouthwash or what. Lol.

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

This is my new favorite website.  My wife tells me it's "passive aggressive" and "rude" to post it on Facebook or Forums.  I just think it's a cool way to show people how to search for stuff.

You can put anything in and it will generate a link that animates the search process.  Ok, maybe it's a little snarky, but passive aggressive is pushing it.  Here's the link for MAGIC MOUTHWASH.  What would I do without Siri, Alexa, Google Home and this?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=magic+mouthwash

89 Messages

• 

3.9K Points

All: It's usually a combination of a prescription pain reliever and an antacid like maalox. I used a pink liquid containing benadryl and maalox and rinsed my mouth about 4 times a day the first 10 days. It helped, and it did not taste bad at all.

A small bottle of about 6-8 ounces was enough, and it cost $13.00. The pharmacists mix it for you, and it's typically refillable for up to a year. But you should probably not need more than one bottle. It's just one more tool for those first 10 days. Just ask your dentist for the script. It' not magic, but it's worth 13 bucks. Joseph

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

Good to know it's not expensive.  It's a little odd that there doesn't seem to be a "standardized" formulation of this stuff.  Mayo Clinic states the following:

There are several versions of magic mouthwash. Some are available in pre-measured kits (First-Mouthwash BLM, First-BXN Mouthwash) that can be mixed together by pharmacists, while others are prepared to order by a pharmacist. If it's determined that magic mouthwash might be helpful, your doctor will write a prescription.

Magic mouthwash usually contains at least three of these basic ingredients:

• An antibiotic to kill bacteria around the sore
  • An antihistamine or local anesthetic to reduce pain and discomfort
  • An antifungal to reduce fungal growth
  • A corticosteroid to treat inflammation
  • An antacid that helps ensure the other ingredients adequately coat the inside of your mouth
I've heard great things about Benzodent and it's OTC and many denture wearers swear by the Stuff.  

Maybe I'll mix my own with Tequila , Malox & Benzodent and, of course, with Salt on the Rim???

Than again, probably NOT!  :-) 

13 Messages

• 

150 Points

14 d ago

A small bottle of about 6-8 ounces was enough, and it cost $13.00. The pharmacists mix it for you, and it's typically refillable for up to a year. But you should probably not need more than one bottle. It's just one more tool for those first 10 days. 

-treeserviceschinohills.com