Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

10 Messages

• 

320 Points

Sun, Jan 19, 2014 7:30 AM

Kinda curious, how old are all of you?

I got 11 teeth pulled and a full top denture put in on December 9th. I am 35 years old. I think getting dentures at a younger age has gotten more common then it used to be. My dad got both tops and bottoms as a 21st birthday present to himself so I am happy I made it 14 years later then he did. =)

How did your significant other handle you having dentures? My husband is having a harder time adjusting to it than I have. I am LOVING them (other than the constant adjustments till they fit right) and I am not regretting getting them at all. My husband says now that I don't look like me anymore and he doesn't like it. Nice to know someone out there didn't mind my rotten gross teeth. lol.

Responses

6 Messages

• 

286 Points

7 years ago

I am 56. i have had mine 13 days now. not so happy with them. still can't chew with them on. my stitches are now out. and i have some sore spots and some bone chips that will get taken care of Monday. i am trying to be happy about these , just don't see how i will ever chew. My husband keeps saying give it time. so maybe i am rushing it,. Glad you are so happy with yours...

131 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

I understand how much of an adjustment this time is for you, Cindy. Your husband is right -- it does take some getting used to, but it will get better! As your gums continue to heal and change, this will affect the fit of your dentures, so make sure you keep in touch with your dentist in case you need any adjustments.

6 Messages

• 

286 Points

today is day 18 and things are much better... got all the sore spots and a bone spur taken care of Monday and it was like i had a new mouth... All i can say is Hang in there everyone. It does get better. i even chewed some yesterday . gums are still sore , but with time all will be well.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 years ago

I am much younger than you are and I will be getting upper and lower partials on 1/30. I am very nervous... but so so excited to be able to smile again. I work one on one all day with teenaged girls and it is really a killer to my self esteem to not be able to have a conversation with them or my boss without hiding my teeth. I am scared about the healing process as I only have 4 days off of work. How long did your healing process take to where you were comfortable to be around people?

92 Messages

• 

2.2K Points

Hi Katie,
At four days I was doing ok, not perfect but ok. Your speech will sound different to you but my wife has told me I don't sound a lot different. You will look a lot better with a bright new smile. At four days think applesauce, jello & pudding.
I am 65.
Bill

9 Messages

• 

180 Points

Hope all is going well with you Katie

30 Messages

• 

634 Points

7 years ago

Katie I'm younger as well hun and im not sure if you are having your teeth pulled and upper and lower same day dentures which is the way I went and I am very glad I went through it but it's been around 2weeks since I've had it done and I'm still healing and im still pretty sore,can't eat much and still am working on my speech,it's not as bad as it sounds but you will definitely want to give yourself the necessary time to heal completely from what your fixing to go through. I really wish you the best of luck with everything and I hope everything goes well for you and a quick recovery.

20 Messages

• 

398 Points

7 years ago

I'm 37 and I will have 16 teeth taken out and both upper & lower immediate dentures placed in February. Personally I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait to smile again! As for my husband, he is being very supportive.

5 Messages

• 

250 Points

7 years ago

I'm 64. Eight days in with immediate uppers. The first few days were kind of rough, but each day is better than the last now. I just realized that I haven't taken anything for pain all day and I'm starting to do some moderate chewing.

8 Messages

• 

332 Points

7 years ago

Your husband loves you I am sure. Most likely your more beautiful than before and he's not sure how to handle it just now. I am 63 and only had my uppers done the 8th of this month and still going through some adjusting. It does take time and patience of which I have none. I now wish I had done this a long time ago when I was little more flexible but I still will make it. You have lots of support here if you need it but sounds like your going to do just fine.

3 Messages

• 

110 Points

7 years ago

Janis I had all my teeth pulled in the last 5 days,I am only 35 years old, and i have I known for quite sometime that I would need all my teeh extracted due to periodontal disease,however I never had the income to get them extracted,Well God bless me with the birth of my new son Jordan.He was born 1/7/14 @ 8:00 pm .IT turns out that the government will give you medicaid even if you work ,and have health insurance on your job.Now with that being said medicaid will not pay for any dental work except extractions.i will admit it is not easy to taking care of a newborn baby while I am healing,but I am healthier ,happier ,and soon I will be receiving my dentures.I honestly think the hardest part of this process is walking around my significant other without teeth

3 Messages

• 

232 Points

7 years ago

I'm 41 Its been 7 month since I had my uppers and lowers. First few weeks were the hardest. Best decision I've made for myself. Just gotta tell myself is to smile still not use to that.

5 Messages

• 

186 Points

7 years ago

I am 44 and i just had all 12 of my top teeth pulled on Thursday the 27th of Feb. 2014, i did really good until today and i woke up to my 2nd black eye and my face more swollen than the day before an my face hurting more than I have had my face hurt in my life, but I love the look of my new teeth and i can't wait for my face to get back normal shape and size. I just keep telling myself that in the end all the pain and suffering is worth having my smile and confidence back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Messages

• 

122 Points

7 years ago

im 26, i had 5 removed this last time to finish off all the top teeth. this is day 5 for me and i cant hardly have my teeth in my head. i am still swollen a bit and they make my mouth throb horribly and give me a headache. Dentist said to leave em out as much as i can to let my mouth heal.