Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Mon, Jun 25, 2018 3:33 AM

Just had uppers removed

Apptnt was 9am and by  10.30am,  immediate denture put in, feels really strange and made me want to gag, but slowly getting used to it, still numb and apprehensive about upcoming pain so have taken ibuprofen, panadeine as well as antibiotic to try and stay ahead of it, as suggested by other members here.I'm so grateful for this forum, I felt that it helped me immensely to know that even if all isn't right on eday,most things are fixable
The actual procedure wasn't as scary as I imagined, dentist was very kind and used numbing gel and happy gas before the shots (which weren't painful at all ... in fact, I felt no pain at any stage.
...but I'm sure there will some in next few hours/days ... worst is over ( I hope) haven't looked at myself yet 'cos I feel like Daffy Duck but OH reckons there's not much swelling so will check it out when the 'drooling' stops .... more later, and thanks to all here who have shown compassion and support for myself and other fearful 'sooks' lol

Responses

7 Messages

• 

216 Points

2 years ago

Good on ya! Use ice packs if you can, or frozen peas.

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

2 years ago

Thanks Kez, hoping I won't need ice packs ( got frozen peas in freezer if needed) so far so good, but making sure I take a pill of some sort ev'ry 2 hrs... rotating 'tween Ibuprofen 400mg and panadeine forte, it's only been 5hrs and no pain ( yet )  not much swelling and just a tinge of discomfort on right side of gum, numbness is wearing off, can have a vape now :)
Where in OZ? I'm in SA   

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

2 years ago

Hi Maggs. Where in SA are you. Looking at getting this done also but no idea who to go too

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

I went to St Clair Medical/dental clinic...( new suburb at Woodville)  I saw Robert Bubnic and he's brilliant imo, very good with phobics lol
Where are you?  I had all my treatment there, after being on the public waiting list for almost 4 years, but my phobia meant that I kept putting off appntmts, so ..SADH paid  almost $1000 for extractions ( except for $139) I 've been saving up for ages to go private and paid $1350 for immediate/ permanent upper denture, this included the happy gas and soft relines until I get a hard reline in approx 6 months which will cost another $450,
I've nothing against the SADH public system but didn't want different students and preferred to have it all done at once and by  the same Dr, rather than being toothless for months  .... it helped that I was able to talk to him beforehand  about my fear and he was very kind ... And efficient, and honest ... he told me to expect some discomfort in the first week ...and this forum is also amazing for advice
Just ask me if you need to know any more and good luck :)

Also need some work in bottom teeth but they're not that bad, just one extraction and a filling ( or2) ( $540, including gas) so that's next on the list but waiting until uppers are comfortable ... so far so good!

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

I'm origannally from SA, well still sort of am but we currently live fulltime on the road. I'm country in Queensland near Toowoombah and heading to the dentist tomorrow for the very 1st time in a long time :( My teeth are all shot and currently have 1 broken tooth up the top which has become wobbly, as to the reason why I'm going to the dentist (dont want to have a missing tooth in the meantime) I know I'm definity gonna need eventually a whole new mouth, just right now money is the issue. In saying that though a big part of the reason I have put it off is because I had no idea about 'Immediate dentures' until Thursday last week. My mum who went through the public wait list in Adelaide and to wait for months for her new teeth. I just assumed they extracted them all and then you had to go months n months toothless. When I called the dentist Friday to make an appointment and explained my life story they said they did the immediate dentures there. So I have my appointment tomorrow arvo for a consult. I doubt anything will be happening asap as to get them all extracted will be a expense as it. I'm so angry with myself about it all. I'm only 34 with 5 kids :(

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

The receptionist also mentioned that the immediate denture is the permanent denture also in which I'm scared about too as i read alot of people only have the immediate for a few months before getting another set in which can be quite smaller. So again another expense. Did your dentist mention about how many soft relines your denture may need prior to the hard reline? And if multiple soft relines are needed are they all included in the cost?

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

My dentist told me that it varies according to individual need but assured me that it's  all included in the cost (along with any adjustments needed ... I may only need I or I may need 6, doesn't matter and dentist technology has advanced so that immediates (after hardline) are as good as any, if there are no complications...ie: bone grafts needed etc. in fact, the immediates act as a sort of 'bandage' for your gums while they're healing and they're quite easy to adjust when they do the hard reline after the gums have shrunk ... but I'm no expert and only know about what I've read in various forums. It makes sense to me to get it all done at once ( and get 6 months to save for the hard reline)
      People who've been without teeth for months while their gums harden, also have problems adjusting to living with dentures , it's like anything else I guess, we're all different 

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

#Scared Mumma
I truly believe that if you're not comfortable with the dentist, then you wait and see another ... it's such a huge step both financially and emotionally, I think it's the reason my teeth were so bad, as none seemed to understand my fear and made me feel 'silly'
Today went so easy for me I think, because when getting the impressions etc, my dentist told me that it's more normal than not, to have this fear and that he understood, anytime that I felt uneasy, he just stopped and talked to me, explained that I would feel nothing ( and I didn't) but to expect some discomfort in the few days afterwards and if I felt it was too bad, just to go back to the clinic ( no charge) and wee'd fix it together .. I hope you find someone like this, I'll be thinking of you:) 
   AND, just imagine how you'll feel when you can really smile, without feeling self conscious 

7 Messages

• 

216 Points

2 years ago

Maggs I’m on the Gold Coast. Grew up in Adelaide....
Against advice I had a ciggie as soon as I got home. Don’t know if the ice made a difference or not, but I had minimal visible bruising about day 3. The absolute worst part is over for you, a good thing.

233 Messages

• 

5.2K Points

I also had my bruising about day 3 and it was gone within the week. I bought a facial gel mask you freeze on Amazon and used that for a couple days to ice pack my whole face at once. The worst is over so now it’s down to adjusting to your new reality.

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

No pain, bruising or  swelling yet, when I left the dentist I felt like there was a huge bump beneath my nose, but it feels and looks normal now, maybe I'll have swelling tomorrow?
 Been taking ibu and panadeine alternately ev'ry 2 hrs and will continue this thru' the night, see if it works, don't have to drive anywhere for a couple of days so maybe I'll be lucky, we'll see.
  Now that it's done, I wish I'd done it years ago .. still can't believe how much better I feel about myself already altho' I expect a few hiccups as my gums shrink etc...still, I know that it's worth it ...

48 Messages

• 

902 Points

2 years ago

Sounds like everything is going well.  Great to hear!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Thanks, It almost seems too good to be true!!! calm before the storm ?? ...just had a bowl of icecream and have pureed home made chicken soup lined up for tea, hoping this painless state lasts

48 Messages

• 

902 Points

The pain wasn't so bad for me.  Just make sure you stay on top of the IBUProfen to keep the swelling down.  Most of the discomfort for me was caused by trying to eat and the mental aspect of not being able to eat what I wanted.  Hopefully it will be the same for you.  I definitely ate some ice cream now working to get my eating back on track.  My problem was I still wanted the ice cream with all the good stuff in it.  When a chocolate shard hits you in the gums it's no good.

7 Messages

• 

216 Points

This is what’s getting to me, trying to eat and the frustration of my lower denture clanking around. Going back for an adjustment on Wednesday .
Maggs, I’ve had absolutely no trouble with the upper denture, hope it’s the same for you.

48 Messages

• 

902 Points

The lowers are making me nervous. It seems like people have more trouble with those. For now I'm scheduled for October 11 for those. Bummer I'll just be getting my permanents for the top and I'll have to start all over again. Got my stitches out for the uppers today and it feels so much better without them.

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

2 years ago

How are you feeling today Maggs? I hope your first night went well

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Not too bad at all,considering all the meds I've used in past 24 hrs lol, but no swelling/ pain, just a bit of a tender spot on right side of top gum.
 Actually just had acall from the dental clinic receptionist, asking how I am ... said that if it gets worse to ring in the morning and they'll squeeze me in for adjustment if needed, otherwise, I go back next Monday, so we'll see :)
 Thanks for asking ...what about you? 

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

Thats sooo good to hear :) I'm sitting here shitting it! My appointment is at 3pm Qld Time. This is just a consult. I'm sooo scared and embarrassed but I know this has to be done. Still have to time to run away though. Arrrggghhh

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

ScaredMumma...Are you on the SADH waiting list ( or Qlnd list) if so, ask your GP to send them a letter stating that your general and mental health is suffering ....it will cost you only a couple Hundred $$$, but as you know this is a long process as they only do 'bits' at a time, then you go on another list for dentures.
    SADH sent me a letter/voucher to go to a private dentist for extractions only ...whilst there, I enquired about immediate dentures ,so SADH scheme paid for all extractions and I paid for the rest .. still more work to be done, which, if I wait another +12 months  could get almost  free but,, I'm very frugal and can save to have it done before Xmas, also, bottoms aren't urgent but I want the same dentist.
( Ask your dentist if he can work with you thru' the Public Dental Scheme, there have been lots of changes over the past 2 years ( I am a pensioner and got a $1000  advance from C/link to help with initial cost.( pay them back fortnightly)
Total cost to myself after uppers,hard reline and bottom repairs is $ 2,380

Good luck with your choice!
Maggie

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

So I'm home now. Went better then expected. Made me feel really comfortable. But yes they all need to go. I had an Xray and because he dosnt feel comfortable removing my wisdom teeth as they havnt attempted to come through yet he is referring me to a oral surgeon to remove them along with all the back bottoms and back tops which will be free of charge as I have a health care card and they will also put me to sleep so yayyyy. After that is done I wait 8wks to heal then go back to him to start the process. He said he would 1st do my uppers and then a few weeks later my lowers, which I would prefer so I can get used to the top on there own for a bit. The total cost through him is $4500 for the rest of the teeth removed and both upper and lower denture, reline etc. Would have cost more if he was removing the other back teeth to. I'm happy with that amount. I too can pay it off interest free so that's a bonus. So know we wait to hear from QLD health about when my appointment will be. The dentist said it should be about a month. So fingers crossed we can get the ball rolling soon. I feel a bit releaved with all this right now but I know that will change the closer it gets to actually having dentures. Soo scared they are gonna look hideous and fall out when I talk. I won't even let my husband or kids see me without them. It's going to be a massive life changing thing :(

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

I'm so glad that I went thru' with it ... I  was beyond terrified but it all went smoothly altho' having the gas ( and a valium beforehand) was a major help for me, didn't feel a thing and taking the ibuprofen /panadeine immediately after surgery, I believe stopped any pain/swelling
  I chose a shade  to match my bottom teeth so they look natural, altho' not 'whiter than white' which wouldn't suit me at all, I reckon that strangers wouldn't even know they're not my real teeth unless I tell them ( or they 'pop out' lol ) but others like the perfect smile thing, we're all different, I'm just glad not to have constantly aching gums/teeth and to be able to smile without feeling the need to cover my mouth ...
 It's a huge change and we must adapt to it,
 Please stay in touch and keep us updated on your progress ... this forum is full of good tips and advice from genuinely caring people who've 'been there, done that'

15 Messages

• 

310 Points

2 years ago

Hey beautiful! I'm so excited for you and relieved. I'm so grateful it went well that that you had an excellent dentist. Hang in there! It's going to get better and better and better. I would say the first three days are the hardest. Once you are through with that, it will just keep getting easier and easier and easier! Can't wait for the first time you really smile without pain and love your beautiful new smile!!! Please keep me updated!!

27 Messages

• 

512 Points

2 years ago

Hey maggs glad to hear your doing well!

89 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

2 years ago

Thanks, only got mild discomfort but feeling 'off' thru' taking too many meds I think, plus threw up ev'rything I've tried to eat ... that'll learn me not to take pills on empty stomach :(
Still, no pain or swelling so worth it ,maybe?
Anyway, all good, no regrets and I hope that others have no problems