Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

85 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Fri, Apr 14, 2017 3:26 AM

I'm 37, had ALL of my teeth pulled today and in my temporary dentures... having a very hard time.

Having such a hard time with this.  It's painful, but I know it just happened.  Emotionally, I'm just not doing real well.  I feel like I'll never eat or speak normally again.  Just a shock.  The story is that my front teeth (I've always had great teeth and took very good care of them) suddanly started to seperate.  I decided finally that I was in a financial position that I would want to get braces to fix it.  Well I go in and have my xrays and it turns out that even though I still have all of my teeth, I have major bone loss due to infections below the gums and they all have to come out.  I had never even noticed how loose my teeth were until it was pointed out.  So today was the day.  I have an amazing Dr.  The teeth look great.  But I'm just having a hard time coping.  Did anyone else go through this?

Responses

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

4 years ago

Hi Marcia. I am 40 and had all my upper teeth pulled and immediate denture about 4 weeks ago. I felt the same way. And it does get better. Every day. I'm finally esting almost normal and am talking normal mostly. Its a huge shock to go thru this at first but knowing u won't have to deal with any more infected bad tooth pain is great. I went about 15 years or so with painful teeth and never smiling showing teeth but now I'm in no pain and smile wide and proud every chance I get. I know it seems horrible now but I promise it gets better. And this site is AMAZING! I don't know what id do if I hadn't found it. Everyone is so nice and if u have questions sum1 here will know the answer. Good luck to u and keep us posted. And smile

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

Smile a lot ... That's about all the teeth are good for... For a couple of weeks anyway.

Eat stuff where chewing is optional.

And don't forget the salt water rinses.

50 Messages

• 

1K Points

Marsha I'm in the same boat as you I did have a couple of teeth taken out when I was younger but I have a hereditary bone disease and it affected my gums in my bones in my mouth so I had to have my teeth taken out to you are the absolute right place talking to the guys of this community has meant everything to me so stay online and read what a lot of the people are posting it's very helpful and you get a lot of encouragement from people who I'm going through what you've gone through what you're going through and it's just a great support group so hang in there just like I am I'm hanging in there and everything will be ok

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I will be taking all my teeth out soon and I am scared,having so much pain

1 Message

• 

80 Points

Good luck, Evelyn - you'll be fine. We'll be thinking of you :)

1 Message

• 

104 Points

Hi I had 24 teeth extracted on Dec. 11th...I feel for you Marcia and it sounds like you’re doing much better than I am. I couldn’t have my TD put in the same day because of the severe bleeding. I came back 4 days later and they hurt like hell. I got another set of TD and they are supposed to be softer...but I put them in and I couldn’t get the uppers out, they were sucked into me like a magnet.

When I was finally able to get them off, I was bleeding, in certain spots that he had said were not healing well, but when he looked this time, last Friday, he said they were better...the bleeding stopped, but putting them back in hurts so badly and I feel like a baby. I am supposed to see my dentist tomorrow...I just saw him on Friday..my gums are so sore and there are spots by the pockets some of them, that are so sore, I can’t stop crying. Im still swollen and bruised. Jan 11th will be a month. My oral surgeon has talked about grinding down the bone to lessen the pain of the TD...they won’t give me anymore pain meds...says I should be alright by now...when have they been in my body and have had so many teeth extracted, plus having TD put in? I take pain meds and I am not addicted...I am also using holistic methods for pain, too, but to no avail. Arnica oil, clove oil and CBD oil... I have SLE Lupus and I’m use to pain, but this is too much for me...Is this normal? Or am I being a big baby please? I’m 62 yrs young... TY all very much for your time and help...Good luck to all newbies...I also use salt water, too for rinsing. And a wet teabag to stop the bleeding... Oh dear lord, I just realized that this is 2 yrs old...I feel so lame...forgive me all for your time...

16 Messages

• 

590 Points

4 years ago

I had 18 teeth pulled the day before Thanksgiving. The extraction was never really a problem. As long as I took my medicine, washed my mouth out with salt water and gave my gums a break from the immediate denture I was fine. The first few days are alway an adjustment . Eating with the immediate dentures took a little to get used to and was completely soft foods an liquids. Talking was a progress of getting used to. I had to try different combinations of adhesives to get combination that work. Progressively got better at eating some foods. The hard foods and stuff I bite into are still out.

I was happy with the surgical results for many of the same reasons you are looking forward to. Most of my teeth were either broken or bad, I had several root canals that never worked even with the crowns.

The only thing I wished the dentist did was a class on what to do and what t expect. I had one for several of other surgeries and it helped with the coping with the extreme change. Some sort of follow-up other than fittings would have been nice too. Having your teeth removed an d then trying to get used to a prosthetic in your mouth can be traumatic and frustrating. I am months out and I have had my permanent fitting and I'm still frustrated. My next step is to have posts retrofitted to my bottom plate to secure it.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Hi Katherine, I know your posymt was 3 years ago but I had to get ahold of you. It seems you are VERY similar to my current situation. I just finally had the last if the teeth I needed out done on the 28th of July. That being said its the whole top, and partial bottoms. But all tops were taken out at once and denture put in place. With no real instruction or idea of what I was facing I went home. Took off of work the next day just to be safe, for swelling, pain, etc. Seemed all was gonna be great! I was looking great, feeling great. Went to work the next day bc face it, I have 4 children and they can be expensive lol.
While at work I noticed the more I had to talk to clients, or even yell across the place to another coworker, the pain really began and they even at one point flew out of my mouth and onto the deck which luckily no one saw. But I went home realizing I had some adjusting to endure. Of course I knew I couldn't eat anything, only liquids for God knows how long.
Since then it has gotten worse by the day and now I can not even bare putting them back into my mouth as my gums are swollen and I fear I may have even developed a dry socket in one of them. My dentist who did this has been unavailable and I cant seem to get any answers or relief, im all alone with this. Any pointers or ideas on how to cope with this would be greatly appreciated, I dont know where else to turn. And honestly this is getting the better of me more emotionally and mentally than anything. Re: will I ever be able to chew anything, will the pain stop, how ridiculous do I ACTUALLY look, etc. Thank you in advance.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I’m so sad for your story. Geeez

85 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

4 years ago

Thank you everyone. I know it seems silly, but I am so depressed. I took out the dentures to clean them and can't get the bottom one back in, it just hurts too bad. I think its too big in some spots and I have some pretty bad sores. Of course, my dentists office isn't open on Friday. I did text him and he doesn't want me not wearing them, but what can I do? Hoping he can make time to see me today at some point to look at them. I know it's just day two, but at this point, I wish I could turn back time and never do it. I know everyone says it gets better. I truly hope it does.

191 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

I would not try to force the bottoms back on. Make sure you keep up with warm salt water rinses to help heal and shrink the gums.  Look for posts from a lady named Dee Rielman  she seems to have a great knowledge of the process you are going through.  I, on the other hand, had all my teeth extracted and waited 4 months to get my perms so basically I don't know what it is like to have temporaries.  I know there is a topic on not being able to get the teeth back on after extractions you just have to search for it.  DO NOT make yourself bleed trying to pop the denture back on.  Mostly, be good to yourself as you are not alone.  Thinking of you and hoping you heal quickly.   It is a rough process to go through and there is no turning back.  

85 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Thank you.

50 Messages

• 

1K Points

Marshall I hate to tell you but don't listen to your dentist because those sores will never heal until you take those Dentures out and let them heal they're get some of the magic mouthwash and rinse constantly with the salt and peroxide warm water until the sores in your mouth are healed and then put them in because if you keep rubbing in the same spot they will never heal and you always hurt that was some of the best advice I got off of the community boards here and so I haven't worn my dentures for the last 4 days waiting for all the sores in my mouth to heal because I listened to the dentist and he doesn't go through what we're going through the people on this site know what they're talking about so just wait and let the sores in your mouth heal before you put them back in again okay

2 Messages

• 

80 Points

Hi Marcia. I know your post is 3 years old but I was wondering how your dentures / gums are now. I need to have my 2 lower teeth extracted & a partial denture to replace them. I am terrified something will go wrong.

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

4 years ago

Hi Marcia, hang in there. It does get easier day by day. You are only on day 2, day 3 is when most of the swelling kicks in. Don't force your bottoms on, give the swelling time to go down and they should go back on fine. I had that problem a few nights ago. I took mine out to clean them and let them soak for a half hour. Well I fell asleep and woke up 6 hrs later, and couldn't get my bottoms back in. I waited about 40min and they did go back in eventually. I am about 10 days post full tooth extraction(19 of them) and getting immediate dentures in. I understand how your feeling. I cried a lot the first day or two, just seemed so unreal to me..I wanted to turn back the clock and have it not happen. But I realized it is so much better this way. I have no more worry of infections m or tooth aches and I can smile again! I haven't smoked in a photo for 20 yrs!
What's up with dentists being closed on fridays! Mine is also and I do needed an adjustment today. Mine feel like they poking out my front chin/lips..very sore there today! Have to wait til Monday to see him now. Tuesday I get stitches out and a soft feline. Hoping that helps me feel better.

Hang in there, I promise as time goes on it does get better!

191 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Good Friday is a holiday for many

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

True. I didn't think of that.
Mine is closed every Friday though.

Just noticed my comment above, I meant to say I haven't smiled in a photo in 20 years not haven't smoked in a photo.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

My dentist is closed every Friday also. Lol.

79 Messages

• 

3.8K Points

Marcia: You are still quite early in the process. My denture was placed almost 6 weeks ago, and I still have pain and discomfort, especially when I try to bite  something hard. It even hurts to chew certain things. Two things I've noticed that your dentist can help you with: Hot spots occur on my gums from time to time, and the result is a white patch called leukoplakia. Relatively minor adjustments to the denture by your dentist can fix that easily. Leukoplakia sounds bad, but it is a minor problem that can hurt like the dickens. I absolutely dreaded putting my upper denture in for the first two weeks. The dentist worked the denture over on two occasions and things have settled down a bit.

The second thing is you may find, like I did, that little bone fragments start working themselves out from your gums. This is common, but they can create hot spots as they emerge. I've kind of learned how to harvest them, but the dentist helped me there, too.

I think one of the most important things that I came to understand is that each of us has had an essential part of our anatomy amputated, and getting used to living without something we were born with is not easy, even on our best days.

As the healing continues in my gums, the upper denture doesn't hold as well, and I'm getting some rubbing that's causing sore spots at the rear of the upper denture. Eventually - around April 24 - a relign should take care of that problem.

I tell you all of this because I don't want you or anyone else who is early in the process to get discouraged. This denture business is challenging on our best days, and it can be an absolute pain on our worst days. It might be a walk in the park for some, but it darn sure hasn't been for me. But I remain optimistic, and I remain absolutely convinced that I did the right thing, and that your best days and mine are ahead of us.

I hope you find that each subsequent day is easier than the day before and that you keep the faith that you have done the right thing. I believe the people on this chat sincerely care about each other, and you don't have to face this alone. Good luck to you. Joseph

79 Messages

• 

3.8K Points

Marcia: Two other things helped me a lot. First, salt water rinses 4 times a day accelerates the healing of your gums. I heat a cup of water with 1 tsp salt for 40 seconds in a microwave. That lasts 1 day.
Try to get into that habit now. After about 2 weeks, get a soft bristle tooth brush. You will be amazed how good that feels on your healing gums. But take it easy and do it gently until the wounds have completely healed. You are going to get through this. Joseph

85 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

4 years ago

Thank you all. I know I sound dramatic. I know it'll get better. Just got to give myself time. On a good note, my husband made a bisque I was actually able to eat and for the first time since my teeth were pulled in not starving. :) Smoothies only last so long.

58 Messages

• 

2K Points

Marcia, I don't think your sounding any dramatic than any of us are or have been. This is truly a life changing thing we are all going through and as someone said to have to slant to live with something we were all pretty much born with is a challenge in so many ways. We all just have to take it one day at a time, have patience, keep telling ourselves this will get better as time goes on. I am so glad to have found this forum, so much useful information on here and you are all the nicest people I've "met" in a long time!
Hang in there Marcia, know we're all in this "boat" together and we're all here for you!
Glad you had a nice dinner tonight! Yep,smoothies only last so long lol. I cheated and had a very small piece of birthday cake this evening at a family gathering. I haven't had cake in a long time..plus not having to worry about the sweetness of the icing affecting my teeth! It was glorious!

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Root beer float! Hadn't had in years cuz every time I did my teeth would kill me and my face would swell up from teeth. So the first week after getting denture I ate enuff root beer floats to make up for years past without. Lol

1 Message

• 

66 Points

I have to get rid of mine for the same reason. I just got 3 removed 2 days ago. I wlll be getting the rest (23) pulled next week. Im scared to death

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I hope everything worked out smoothly for you. I'm going in this morning to have all of mine removed today and I'm scared to death!!

79 Messages

• 

3.8K Points

4 years ago

Marcia: I never thought I could get tired of ice cream. But I'm learning a lot of new things as I adapt to what amounts to a new life. Keep us posted on how you're progressing. Joseph

1 Message

• 

80 Points

3 years ago

Day 8 here and I can't eat anything that isn't liquid and drinkable from a glass! I can't even get a spoon in my mouth properly, 4kg weight loss (full teeth extraction and immediate dentures)

1 Message

• 

60 Points

My neice just got all of hers removed. She will not even drink. So she is so weak. I am afraid... she said every thing taste gross and it is painful. Please help... what should I tell her and how do I get her to eat?

4 Messages

• 

156 Points

3 years ago

I hear you on that. Im in the same boat. Well i told my other half that i stopped biting my nails. She was so happy. She asked me how i managed to do that. I guess she forgotten that i got all my teeth ripped out of my head. I smiled at her with my horrifying looking gums drooling chasing her around the house begging for kisses. Oh yeah i asked her to help me chew some real food up. I laughed so hard. Dug the real food in my mouth tried to show her i can't chew it. I then spit the darn food out and asked her to chew it up for me. Oh yes, gotta have some fun right. So this is my way to pass the time to the road of healing process. Oh hell i can smell some freaking bbq cheeseburgers. Yummy. The best way to eat is try smashinf the heck out of food with a fork. Heck use a blender. Yeah, good idea blender. Hummm, here i come bbq and steak etc....

35 Messages

• 

150 Points

2 years ago

Urgent effective love Spell caster to help you bring back ex lover & save you marriage fast contact:prophetoyinbojesus@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online and his result is 100% guarantee!. 
My Name Glenda his form Tx,USA. After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr oyinbo can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr oyinbo. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.oyinbo real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Call/WhatsApp:+2348074066640 ,Email him at: prophetoyinbojesus@gmail.com

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

a year ago

I go this Tuesday for my consult for extraction. I'm having many teeth pulled but plan to keep my two front teeth and my bottom front ten. I have a severe fear of the dentist but I more fear living with infection. I'm scared to death for having the surgery and the healing process! I am a stay at home mom of four kids. I'm just scared to death.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Hi Brittney, I have just been through this process, 24 teeth removed and immediate upper and lowers put in. I was scared also, I hadnt been to the dentist in years although it's only day 1 and I have a mouth full of stitches and pain but manageable pain I'm feeling so proud of myself for following through and getting it done. Where in the process are you up to now?