Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 9:05 PM

I think I'm allergic to denture adhesive

I just had 22 teeth removed on 3/16/12 and only have my temporary set of dentures. I'm getting mini implants for the bottoms, but in between relines, I need to use adhesive on the upper. Whenever I take out my uppers, I have tiny blisters on the roof of my mouth. I have a latex sensitivity and am sensitive to bandages, but never thought it would include this. Anybody....HELP!
(from Lswing)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I use Fixodent Food Seal. I don't get the blisters on my bottom gums because I don't use cream on them since I have mini implants. I only get the blisters on my upper palate where the denture cream is. Also I don't get blisters on any other areas of my mouth except where I use the adhesive. I've tried other brands like Polident's strip adhesive with the same result and with less hold, as my gums are still healing and filling in from the extractions.
(from Lswing)

1 Message

• 

104 Points

Yes, I also have an allergy to medical adhesive but did not take it into consideration when I got the dentures. Until my lips turned black. I don't know how many layers of lips it burned off, but they were coming off in chunks. Now what do I do??? I don't even know if there are any denture adhesives that are hypo-allergenic. I can't possibly be the only person who has the same problem, what do they use?

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I have the same problem......My dentures fit great.....but when I use fixodent or pollygrip my gums burn and swell....  I'm going to the dentist tomorrow......I will let ya know what they tell me........I am allergic to Iodine.......

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

SECURE they make 2 types and they will send u samples

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I am a new venture wearer, have allergies including latex, adhesives, and iodine. Please help! I know this is an allergic reaction and have tried dividend original and poligrip with the same small round blisters only in the area the adhesive has touched. Please help!

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

SECURE makes a sensitive denture paste.  Call them and they will send u a free tube.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I'm Karen, the Fixodent Community Manager. I'm sorry blisters have developed on the roof of your mouth. Please know that Fixodent does not contain latex, and all versions of Fixodent are thoroughly evaluated to make sure they're safe when used as directed. Dentures can cause sores on the roof of your mouth, so if the blisters don't go away, be sure to contact your dentist.
Having said that, I'm not certain which brand of denture adhesive you used. If you used Fixodent, please give us a call so we can gather more details about your experience. We can be reached at 1-800-214-8871, Monday through Friday from 9am-6pm Eastern time, and please mention that spoke with Karen on DentureLiving.com.
Thanks for your message, and be sure to let me know if I can assist in any other way.
^Karen
(from Karen @ Fixodent)

1 Message

• 

82 Points

It's an adhessive allergy and I can't use denture glue either because of it

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Every time i use any denture adhesive i break out. Its like acne but a little worse. I have full dentures an need to wear them 5 days a week for work. What can i use to help? Or what can i do?

1 Message

• 

62 Points

try super poligrip extra care it has no zinc but if you already used it and had same problems deffently go back to your dentist

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I have had reactions to several different types of dental adhesive and am unable to wear my partial.  I have Mast Cell disease and I am assuming the adhesive contains something that causes me to produce extra histamine.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I also use fixodent and am getting painful blisters on the roof of my mouth and I also have a latex allergy.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Thanks for letting me know you used Fixodent Food Seal. I'm sure the blisters areuncomfortable, and Isincerely hope they heal soon.Meanwhile, Iletour telephone representatives know Iinvited you to call about your experience.
If you continue todevelop blisters while usingdenture adhesive,discussthis with your dentist.I'm wondering ifyourdenture can be made to fit more comfortably without the use ofadhesive. Please post again to let us know what you find out.
^Karen
(from Karen @ Fixodent)

1 Message

• 

80 Points

i have been suffering from allergies ever since I started with partials and then dentures 6 years ago. I have been rushed to hospital 3 times. for 6 years I have had a runny nose, streaming and burning eyes, headaches and generally feeling ill. finally someone is taking me seriously and today I am having allergy tests. I am really upset because I lost my teeth through a trainee dentist error. Because of my gag reflex I need to use glue. Fixodent is the best but is it also causing my problems. I only use food seal Fixodent at night because I feel its not as good as the regular Fixodent that I use during the day. my problems are worse during the day

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

SECURE

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I used Fixodent cream with a partial for several months without problem just needed 3 dots. In March 2019 I got a top denture with a soft liner and was told to use only Fixadent ultra hold powder for three months without any issues until the denturist retired. I finally found another one who would adjust the soft liner and when he put the powder on he loaded it and did not dip in water. It kinda burned a little but it was the next day before I could get the denture out. I stayed at the hospital with a relative who had a very active night and never took my denture out, but after 1 1/2 days when I took it out I had blisters and I had continued to dip it in water. After not wearing the denture for 5 days I starting wearing them 8 to 10 hours and today when I removed the denture it took a little spot of skin. I plan on starting new denture with a hard liner next week, but wondering if I should wait until the spot heals

1 Message

• 

82 Points

5 years ago

I got top dentures in my 40 and unfortunately bottom plate in my 50. I started using adhesive with top dentures. Shortly after I started having raw skin develop in the corners of my mouth. Extremely painful. It's gotten worse since I got the bottom dentures. I have been to many dental and medical professionals regarding this problem. It has caused many problems in my daily life. I can no longer eat anything with the slitest spice to it including pepper after years of trying to find out why I have this I finally put it together with my family doctor that I probably have a allergy to the adhesive. Do u have any information regarding this. I would be so appreciative and so would my husband because kissing is just to painful.

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

5 years ago

I got my lower teeth extracted in December they put in implants so I will have a permanent denture when I'm fully healed. for now though I have tried creams powder and strips and every single one makes me have a dry hacking cough. I haven't seen anyone else with this complaint. 

271 Messages

• 

6.2K Points

5 years ago

Julie, if you are having any reactions that have to do with your throat/airways, it is extremely important to contact your dentist and discuss this with him or her. You may need a specialty product. Have you tried the zinc free products?

5 Messages

• 

126 Points

I too am having trouble with adhesives, both Fixodent and others I've used.  My lips are red, sore and spitting, resulting in sores.  It is very painful.  I have tried lip balm and nothing helps.  I get sores in my mouth too, but not as troublesome as my lips.  I do NOT know what to do?  I need the adhesives.  What can I do Rosie?

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

Bonnie that sounds terrible. Have you tried powder adhesive at all? I am sensitive to paste adhesives and have found powder to be far less offensive.

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

I talked to my doctor but he didn't have any suggestions for me. All the creams I tried are zinc free. The powder does have zinc. I don't cough ALL the time, but have lots of coughing episodes during the day and night.  

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

Bonnie, maybe swish your mouth with coconut oil.. it helps my mouth out when my gums and lips feel dry or sore

5 Messages

• 

126 Points

Julie, Thank you I will try that.  I did quite using an off brand of adhesive and I'm only using Fixodent and I don't have that problem.  I thought Fixodent was also doing it, but it's not.  I'm blessed.  Thanks for the coconut oil advice, that sounds good.   I'll try it.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

2 years ago

i would like to ask if anyone has had problems with their eyes from the adhesives. My eyes are Red, Itchy, Swollen, watery at times, and I have stopped with the Zinc creams and it is still a Huge Problem for me. Please Reply.

48 Messages

• 

252 Points

2 years ago

Get profit of the most healthy denture adhesive cream in the world with up to 45% OFF before Winter Sale ends up at https://shop.olivafix.com/

1 Message

• 

62 Points

8 months ago

I have had full dentures for over 30 years. Recently I took up playing a brass instrument, something I have not done since having my dentures. I found it difficult to play without my dentures moving about so I tried polygrip max seal (zinc free). It held my dentures well but resulted in a really sore throat, pain when swallowing, a sore tongue and tingling lips. Two weeks later I still have the last two symptoms. Needless to say I won't be using the polygrip any more. I am in the UK.