Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

Sat, Aug 8, 2015 11:45 PM

I haven't told anyone im getting dentures

Hi everyone. I am new here. I am getting an upper denture in 4 days time. I am more worried about people noticing than anything else. I haven't told my partner ( we don't live together so I have been able to hide a lot of my issues with my teeth ) I haven't told my children ( both adults ) or any friends. I just can't bring myself to discuss this with anyone. I am sure people close to me suspect things aren't right . My personality has changed becoming more reclusive from the extrovert I used to be. My teeth look fine but they are all loose . I have used denture adhesive to secure them for about two years. How i have managed to hide this for so long I don't quite know. I am hoping to have a drastic hair restyle the day before to take away the emphasis on my mouth. Any tips on how to make dentures less obvious would really help ! I can hide away for a few days but know I have to face everyone pretty soon.

Responses

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

5 years ago

Hi Susie. I just had teeth pulled on Tuesday, same problem you had. Really no way to hide it as you will have much swelling after they pull remaining teeth. You will have lisp. I was petrified but knew I had to do it. My dentures look so realistic, you would never know. Don't be scared to tell people, its not your fault and do what I did, I just looked at the end results. I hope I have helped.

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

Hi Lisa ,
Thank you for your reply. I know I have to do this it is the fear of the unknown and looking different that I dread. How are you coping with the lisp ? How bad was the swelling ?

21 Messages

• 

624 Points

Hi Susie I had my teeth pulled in March and I do understand but believe me you will be so happy with the end result it does take a few months before they fit properly after your final alignment it will be all worthwhile my teeth were so loose before I had the uppers out that the one front tooth fell out right on my desk that was mortifying now I can actually smile and be so confident with how they look.

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

Hi Roberta. Thank you for your message. I cannot imagine how awful that must have bern for you. Did you have much swelling after the extractions. Has your speech been affected . These are the things bothering me. I haven't been able to eat properly for years so Im not worried about that at all. Its the face changes and speech that frighten me. Also can you sing ( not professionally just in the car etc !
The one positive is that I am looking forward to wearing lipstick. Haven't done that for a feewyears !
Thank you so much for your support!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

Every day my talking gets better, but it really isn't a big issue.  As far as swelling, the first night I came home and took pain pills and put ice on face, slept really good.  There was really no pain to gums, it was my face, just felt like I had been punched but if I rated overall pain 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, Id say a 4.  I only took pain pills for a couple days then switched to ibuprofen.  Swelling was unbelievable, didn't even look like me.  The first day after wasn't as bad as 2nd day and third day was better and by 4th day, back to normal.  That's why I said there is no way to hide it from loved ones.  I really didn't feel like eating the first night but did have some broth.  Second day ate pudding and cream of wheat and mashed potatoes, third day the same and a hamburger cut up and now am eating chips, etc. but I chew real light.  If you are on facebook, I can send you pictures.

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

Thanks for your message. My fear of pain is about 1%. My fear of looking different and not talking properly is the other 99%. I live alone. My grown up kids have left home and my partner lives in his own house so I can avoid people for a few days. I dont care how much it hurts it is the end result that terrifies me. I nearly had a meltdown today as I realised it was my last chance to cancel my appointment. I didn't but I thought about it for a few hours. How do you get used to the plastic in your mouth. Do you ever sleep with them in. Do you sometimes just want to take them out ?
Thank you for your support. It is so helpful to speak to someone that has gone through this.

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Susie, bless your sweet little heart! I too live alone and my kids are also grown..........believe me, pretty soon, your dentures will feel like your own teeth. When I am alone, I take them out at bedtime and cleanse them overnight - when I have someone here in the evening,, I just sleep with them. I know your fears but trust me, it really will get better. I felt the same way you are feeling but now everything feels really nice and comfortable.

14 Messages

• 

310 Points

5 years ago

I had to get a full set of uppers after wearing a partial for 6 years. The thing to do is practice eating, speaking, smiling and singing and make sure you have plenty of adjustments made in the beginning. A proper fit is key and a good adhesive is necessary. I tried so many before I found one that works great (and it's not a Fixodent product). The one I use will hold up to 24 hours with one application though 18-20 is the norm. I sleep with my dentures every night. The only time they come out is when I clean them. My original set of uppers did not fit and the teeth were too small and there was too much gum. I couldn't keep my mouth closed due to the size. I complained and my dentist was kind enough to offer a better quality new set at no extra charge after a few days. That first one even cracked down the center while I was waiting for my 2nd set. They had to reline it to keep it together.  The one I have now fits but I can't wear it without adhesive and they were able to make my teeth look more natural by actually putting a small gap that I had before between a canine and molar. This was for fit also. I hope you didn't go too white if your teeth are more ivory colored. The difference in color will stand out. I knew a guy who did that and you knew right away his top teeth were dentures. In the beginning I was not happy due to the screwed up denture which I had to endure for 6 weeks while I waited for the good one. Today, I can't bite into a whole cherry tomato, radish, large olive, etc. Thinly cut carrot and sticks are ok. I can eat a hamburger with my teeth if I want but make sure adhesive is fresh before trying. Corn on the cob a little bit but before I always cut the kernels off anyway. Chicken wings I have tried but you need to be slow and deliberate or your denture can slip.  Forget apples and pears. Eating steaks will require small pieces.  Salads are fine for me as long as it's a chopped salad with no large pieces of anything. I haven't found a chewing gum that works either. Practice makes perfect and patience is a virtue! No one but my dentist's office knows I have a denture. Just smile confidently. Acting self-conscious will only draw attention. Good luck and don't forget to practice!!  Oh, I forgot to add...hard coughing can dislodge your denture big time, even sneezing. Now this may be TMI, but vomiting also so you may want to avoid the toilet and do that in the sink just in case.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Thank you so much for all of your detailed information:)

7 Messages

• 

140 Points

5 years ago

Thank you for your comments. I haven't picked a gleaming white. My sentist matched them to my lower teeth. I just hope the teeth themselves are natural looking and resemble my own teeth . I have paid for decent ones. I didn't want cheap lower end ones. It's so difficult not being able to road test them until the extractions are done and then its a case of it is what it is. Trying to stay optimistic. Thanks again for all the information and support.

14 Messages

• 

310 Points

Mine are quite natural looking and food even gets "stuck" between my teeth. Well, it appears that way. Black pepper, cottage cheese, lettuce...like when I had my own teeth!

I felt the same way you did about wishing there was a way to "test-drive" them before-hand.

Another thing I've realized is that by wearing my denture 24/7  I've been able to prevent that sagging jowls look, if you know what I mean. I feel like my body has adapted to them and accepts them so my face isn't sagging. I've seen plenty of people who take their dentures out at night and their faces show it. Even my dentist suggested I wear them all the time. For me, its uncomfortable to not have the denture in. I really don't see how people can get used to not wearing them all the time.

16 Messages

• 

260 Points

Hi
So is it ok to wear them 24/7 I was told to take out at night

133 Messages

• 

170 Points

3 years ago

Hello Good News i have only one son Kelly Shakeel and he was about going to die after he was diagnosed with Heart cancer and brain problmes, so i was going to Dr and my Dr said he has just three weeks to live, killy is my only son my family and my only best friend, and I couldn't afford to lose him. I started searching for help on-line to make sure my son don’t die, then I found someone name Khan Merriam saying about Dr Sandy, I told him about my problems and he gave me some words of encouragement tell me abut his Herbal medicine that he will do and sent with UPS POST OFFICE WITH MY HOME ADDRESS and he did an sent me herbal medicine and he instructed me on how to go about it, Dr Sandy also said my son will not die that he will be heart cancer free days after using the medicine , I did exactly what he asked me to , now my son that was suppose to live for just two weeks has lived two weeks more and he is very okay , he is fine , just like any other children my son is fine.i was so happy and tell the HERBAL DR about my illness Herpes 2 and ask if he can cure that hes say yes happen again he send me the herbal medicine and use it for 14days too but now me and my son is fine and live a good life, i did not know what to say or do for you papa Srandy all i can do is to tell the word about you and give my life to you pls friends help me thanks him Lesson: Don’t give up in life; 
 HE HAVE CURE FOR THIS ILLNESS. HIV HERPES BODY CANCER HEART CANCER BLOOD CANCER HPV ALS EASY PROBLEM E T C.. 
what ever you are passing through today can be your testimony tomorrow:  Email;  dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com  OR call Whats App Number +2349031726182 https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
 THANKS  FOR SANDY.....