Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

1 Message

• 

260 Points

Sun, Apr 19, 2015 1:26 PM

I had19 teeth pulled a week ago and immediate dentures put in. I am in so much pain I can't wear my dentures at all. Is this normal?

Responses

5 Messages

• 

420 Points

6 years ago

Im having the same issues. My mouth is full of sores. Cant talk or eat when they are in.

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

See your dentist. Rinse your mouth as often as you can, with warm salt(baking soda) water

4 Messages

• 

174 Points

Is it the Teeth that hurt you when they are in or is it the gums still hurting from the extractions? If its the teeth they probably need a filing down (an Adjustment.) If its your gums you may have a dry socket which are really painful. I had 19 teeth pulled as well last Wednesday and haven't really needed that much pain meds. The teeth were painful but had them adjusted and the pain is gone.

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

My dentist gave me Magic mouth rinse. It's part lidocaine part Benadryl will help bring the swelling down and any possible allergies and then it's got my Lanta in it to. that helps with the nausea. but the best part is once putting it on them before no/or after it Helps with the pain if just getting use to and building up the calluses. I still had a hard time chewing at first but I'm finally able to but that was after a couple visits to the denture place having them fix the problem because mine had sharp splits from the teeth holes I had when making before pulling them was stabbing me. So I probably would go in get them looked at to make sure nothing wrong that can be fixed and get the magic mouthwash you have to get a prescription and then see if there's actually an issue there might be something wrong.But my aunt they also told me it might just be sore for a bit hope hope it helps bye

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

I had a very painful spot in the 1st week, silly I thought I had to wait till my visit the week after, they said I should have come right in. A little adjustment and I'm not going to die after all

35 Messages

• 

398 Points

Go see tge dentiat realign them the sores will become ulcers on your gums ouch

21 Messages

• 

624 Points

6 years ago

Hi Beth I know they are very difficult to get used to but every week it gets better it does take a full 30 days and believe Me I'm on week five and I am eating burgers pizza even with my front teeth....just be patient do your vowels to stretch your mouth that helped me so much and my dentist actually ground down some of the parts of the dentures to make it more comfortable....talk to your dentist......

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

It does get easier...but, I want to eat an apple, and an ear of corn....can't see that happening

13 Messages

• 

296 Points

You give me hope Roberta... I am day three of having 22 extractions and b/c of bleeding so much they couldn't put the temp dentures in... today is the first day with little bleeding so tried them and am in agony. Thankfully, I see my dentist tomorrow but it's the 4th of July weekend so hope and pray no more pain. Any help with adhesives or anything is welcomed. Thanks!

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

I am reading all these post and have decided to let my gums heal naturally and when they have TOTALLY healed, I will have dentured put in. I may have to look a little bizarre when going out in public with a vail covering my mouth for a while, but this beats all the trouble that comes along with vanity smh.

35 Messages

• 

398 Points

Go back to dentist i had 2 adjustments and they flushed my extractions to help heal them faster sont leave them out cause they help you gums heal to that denture and if you dont keep it in it will never fit right go to your dentist theres several optons to ficmx it so its not painful

35 Messages

• 

398 Points

Fix dont those were mispelled i apologize

5 Messages

• 

420 Points

6 years ago

Beth how are you doing. I'm on day 6. Still having issues with pain and dentures cutting into my gums. I can now eat some soft foods but only if I remove the flowers. 1st follow up is tomorrow. Hoping adjustments can be made.

21 Messages

• 

624 Points

Hi Janet have your dentist align your dentures my dentist was wonderful he would drill down areas of the denture that would hurt or irritate me. Week 5 now and they are so comfortable and I am eating everything now including a bagel yesterday just be patient it really does get better and it is worth iit

5 Messages

• 

420 Points

thanks. For the advice. Several adjustments today so I hope it helps.

6 Messages

• 

110 Points

beth, the denturist told me day after extractions with immediate dentures put in, i am supposed to see her for the first adjustment to make sure they fit properly and means she would be trimming also any edges too big

6 Messages

• 

342 Points

Ohh I'm crying reading all these posts. I'm on day 5 and now know it's not just me and it will get better. Thanks

1 Message

• 

86 Points

I'm pretty sure I have several dry sockets. I had 10 pulled 8 days ago. I am miserable! Pain all the time especially when the dentures are in... Should I leave the dentures in?? #miserable#

3 Messages

• 

260 Points

6 years ago

Hello, I just had 28 teeth pulled 12 days ago, and for the first 3 days i was in SOOOO MUCH PAIN!!!!! I also couldnt put my dentures in. I left them in for the first 24 hours like i was told but i was in so much pain i had to take them out after 24 hours and i didnt put them back in until day 4. Since day 4 i have been wearing them. I still have a little soreness from the gums still being a little tender but tylenol has taken the edge off. So it has gotten better day by day. My only problem is eating. It is soooo hard to eat, i am having problems even with soft foods. So i basically been eating pudding, soup, broth, applesauce and protein shakes.

21 Messages

• 

624 Points

Hi Andy I'm on week 5 and I know exactly what you are saying but I found I eating pasta ziti or pasta and bean soup eggplant egg salad and oatmeal it does take 2 months believe me and now I am staring on the pol ident for my teeth and had a bagel yesterday for the first time since March 23. I found doing my vowels every day helps stretch your mouth just be patient it does get better

5 Messages

• 

220 Points

I am feeling sooo fortunate! Had immediate denture two days ago. Are a fishburgee for lunch today. Slow and careful...and a tiny bit uncomfortable...but I did it! Going for first adjustment in a few days. I hope they can whittle some off the palate portion as it feels so thick! I am happy so far. Not anywhere as bad as I thought it would be! Hope this gives encouragement to someone...

5 Messages

• 

420 Points

It has been three weeks for me since immediate upper and full lower. Went out to eat tonight at Longhorn, I was nervous but it went well. Had chicken, baked potato, green beans and a small slice of their yummy bread. The key was small bites, chewing slowly and taking my time. I was very pleased and proud of my progress.

64 Messages

• 

1.2K Points

I am only on day 3, and I wanted to know if anyone felt like they were annoying their dentist, but it hurts so bad!!!

5 Messages

• 

420 Points

Gretchen - I don't think you can bug your dentist too much. I chose to suffer for several days thinking I was being a baby about the pain. It finally got to the point I couldn't take it. Went in a few times and had adjustments made and it made a world of difference. I am now 1 month with dentures and life is returning to normal. Pain is not a factor anymore. I'm putting dentures in with ease and today I ate a steak dinner for the first time. Hang in there IT WILL GET BETTER. Call your dentist tomorrow and let them know what's going on

68 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

5 years ago

My new dentures no longer hurt at all, been 5 weeks or so. My problem is I find eating with them is disgusting, makes me gag. I have so much extra saliva I start to choke and cough so I give up and take them out :(

51 Messages

• 

798 Points

So after 5 weeks the excess saliva is still a problem? That's very discouraging. I see this reply is from a couple months ago. Has it gotten better by now?

62 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

At the five week mark, we wouldn't expect the excess saliva to be an issue. Any update?

68 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

No, I still don't eat with my dentures in. No idea what to do.

5 Messages

• 

220 Points

I've read that excess saliva could be improperly fitting dentures. I believe it!

5 Messages

• 

220 Points

I had my denture relied. No more excess saliva!! They feel so much better too!

18 Messages

• 

584 Points

5 years ago

It does get better......I can honestly say that I understand each and everyone of you!! I had my uppers pulled Dec. 9th.... I was so disgusted, upset with my dentist and myself. I was in tremendous pain and vomiting so much that I could not eat , therefore could not take the pain meds either. I lived on Advil and water for the first 3 days... I felt weak and sick...I hated the way I looked and the decision I had made. I must say that now I am adjusting... I started eating pudding, oatmeal, I got carnation instant breakfast, eggs, and started feeling better. I had kept my immediates in for the first week.... pain, sores and all. I eat mostly fish, pastas, oh and hot dogs (which I would never eat before :-) ) Still no steaks for me but I need partials on the bottoms and do not have those yet, so the only contact is the front 6 teeth.

Hang in there, it will gradually get better.

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

5 years ago

Its not what I thought either. I thought I would be eating normal in a day or 2. I had 27 teeth or parts removed Dec. 17th. I'm just now getting to eat solid foods. I was disgusted and thought I had jumped the gun. I'm adjusting now and every day gets better. 

102 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

5 years ago

I've been on a modified diet since early October. On October 8 I had my 5 remaining molars on the right side, and one front lower tooth that was causing me a lot of problems pulled. One week later I had the two remaining molars on the left side pulled, one of which caused a hole to develop from my gums to my sinus and made eating even soft food challenging for several weeks. I had actually just gotten back to where I could eat salad when I had my remaining 15 front teeth pulled and full uppers and lowers inserted on December 18.

I have found that I can eat one meal a day where I really try to chew something. My jaw gets tired (that's the best way to describe it) and I just can't do it anymore. But it gets better daily. I think this is because I was already on a modified diet prior to the final extractions. My jaw needs to get re-accustomed to chewing!

I eat breakfast with my dentures out (either scrambled eggs, pancakes or cottage cheese with fruit cut up very small) and then rinse with salt water and then wait for about an hour before I brush my gums and insert my dentures. Then at work, I eat yogurt and soup or pasta or something else that is fairly soft for lunch. When I get home is when I try to eat something to requires actual chewing. Then soon after I go through the process of removing them. If for some reason I eat something that requires chewing earlier in the day, I find that later in the day chewing is challenging. The weekends are challenging because I tend to cook our family meal for mid afternoon and by the time that is done my jaw is tired. I did have one day where we had a luncheon at work where I attempted to eat a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup and I was able to eat half of it and then we had a get together after work where I ate two meatballs and a piece of cake. By the time I got home I just wanted the dentures out!

I don't have a lot of pain, or actually any pain anymore, just some sensitivity on the left side, which is gradually lessening. It's really just the tired jaw that gets me.

I was told when the process all started that eating things like steak probably was not going to be in my future. I'm ok with that, I've never been much for steak anyway. I just want to be able to eat a good salad (chef's, cobb, chicken ceaser) in public again. I have severe bone loss and even if I could afford them, inserts are not an option, thus the reason steak is probably not going to be an option for me.

I've lost 25 pounds since October, which is ok because I was trying to lose weight anyway!

62 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

5 years ago

Thanks for letting us all know that slow and steady is the pace of the denture race!

174 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

4 years ago

I think it is sadistic that dentists don't give us appropriate information.
How many were told that it can take up to a year to heal, and that some people can never eat with these things? 

3 Messages

• 

102 Points

I agree!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Mee too.. They act like its no big deal

5 Messages

• 

124 Points

Getting 14 teeth pulled tomorrow and am fortunate that my DDS was honest w me and told me it would be an uncomfortable difficult time over the next several weeks. I’m not worried about feeling pain during extractions but hate the idea of pulling my teeth out and the pressure just freaks me out. Doc gave me Valium for anxiety and hydrocodone for pain but hoping Ibuprofen will do the trick. See you all on the other side. Thanks for the info.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

Im sorry the don't say everything they don't tell you that you have bone spry coming from the gum and hurt the only thing they say wait it well come off yee wait but it hurt i was pulling them my self they only say few thing but you woll experience a lot more sorry to say but

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

OMG SO SO SOOOO TRUE!  

Most dentist (and by most I mean 95% of them) are greedy scumbags and the thought of dentures little $$$$ pop up in their eyes for that big payday.  I went to 3 dentist for consultations and pricing and all 3 essentially gave about the same info.  NONE OF THEM gave me the complete rundown in fact it anything they down played the ever living crap out of it made it sound like it was a breeze.  Its criminal how much they leave out and don't tell you seriously and on top of now warning you how bad its going to be the first few weeks none of them mentioned a word to me about the long term implications aka jaw shrinkage, potential sunken face, and so on.  Of course dental in the US is as scummy as it gets and is basically equal to corporate america and capitalism at its worst and quality dental work is only for the wealthy.  If you aint wealthy and cant afford 6-9k per tooth for implants x however many teeth you need which is usually A LOT OF THEM then suck it and enjoy the pain and miserable experience that awaits you with dentures.  Then after they get your money and give you your dentures and there is no more money to be made they treat you like a hassle and someone that is the worst of the worst and they are forced to work on you for free when having to adjust or help out with your dentures.