Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

5 Messages

• 

152 Points

Wed, Aug 26, 2015 4:38 AM

I can't chew

I got my dentures five day's ago and I haven't been able to chew any soft foods without pain to my gums. Does this get any better in time?

Responses

3 Messages

• 

122 Points

5 years ago

I am at one week to the day and I still cannot really "Chew" anything yet. I just had my first adjustment yesterday and this is really the first day of no pain yet, when I try to bite down on something it is still incredibly painful/uncomfortable. I imagine that it is going to take some time to heal more. I count myself lucky after the stories I have read on here that I can even walk around pain free seven days after a 17 tooth extraction tops/bottom with two dentures fighting for mouth room.

This whole deal is gonna take TIME .. rushing to get back to normal will only frustrate you. Take it day by day.
Break the food blues by trying things you normally wouldn't .. I had some excellent coconut milk curry soup, I never would have tried any other time.

5 Messages

• 

152 Points

Thank you for your response. I will try your suggestion.

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

I am on day 4 and still on a liquid diet. To be honest, I'm really afraid to even try chewing anything yet. I'm starving.

43 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I had full extractions and upper and lower plates put in back in late July. I was so hungry those first few days and you gotta eat something. Chewing with my new dentures was difficult if not impossible then. I tried. So, I resolved to eating peanut butter sandwiches sans dentures for awhile.  Later, I would try puddings, yogurt and applesauce with my dentures in, but even then my lower plates would not stay in. (I use adhesive for both). My upper plates would do just fine after they set. My lowers were too much for my mouth; too bulky. So, I went to have my lowers adjusted at the dentists last week, and they feel much better in my mouth now and I have move confidence with speaking and chewing. I do eat  better now, but seldom yet with both plates in. It's a challenging process, but I have no regrets. I am considering mini-implants for my lowers, but this can't be done till at least the first of the year after my gums completely heal according to the dentist. Too keep your spirits up, smile to yourself in the mirror and keep your sense of humor. I like to say to myself, "my upper plates are my friends, but my lowers are being stubborn. " and "my tongue has been trying to get used to these new residents in my mouth" Good luck, Heather.

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

Thank you Diana. I honestly cannot imagine trying to eat anything non liquid without my denture. I can't get over the feeling of bare gums and stitches and the utter fear of causing more pain. It does my head in! LOL

I also have a lower partial that is giving me loads of grief because one of the anchor teeth has nerve sensitivity issues, so every movement of the claw causes some pretty undesirable pain. I'm going to ask my dentist if maybe a crown on that tooth might resolve that problem.

14 Messages

• 

324 Points

5 years ago

Yes