Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 9:05 PM

How long until my upper lip stops looking like a monkey's mouth?

I had 8 teeth extracted three days ago and got an immediate upper denture. My face isn't really swollen or anything, but my upper lip makes it look like I was punched in the mouth, or as I refer to it "monkey mouth!" Did they make my dentures wrong, or will this go down as my gums and bone shrink? Also, the top front part of the denture curves in toward my gums, which leaves it cutting into my gum and a gap between my real gum and the denture, is that normal as well? My dentist is not too friendly, and when I went for adjustments on day two, I felt like I was rushed out of there!My biggest concerns right now are the monkey mouth and it cutting into my gums. I can't even chew because the denture cuts into my gums, and being hungry doesn't help my comfort level at all either! Should I pressure my dentist into fixing them or will it correct itself with time? PLEASE HELP I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!
(from Tracey)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this,Tracey.I'm Karen, the Fixodent Community Manager, andI urge you to discuss your concerns with your dentist.While some pain is normal, your denture should not be cutting into your gums. This must be miserable, so don't wait it out until your next appointment.Schedule an appointment as soon as you can get in. Your dentist can evaluate the fit of your denture and make the necessary adjustments to alleviate this.Your dentist should alsobe able to shave the border of your denture to improve the look.
Has anyone else experienced any of these issues? Pleaselet us know!
^Karen
(from Karen @ Fixodent)

3 Messages

• 

110 Points

I too have a Monkey mouth fit. It is horrible.

Rolland

2 Messages

• 

114 Points

I've been in tears all day. I'm a young woman with bad teeth genetiics I had them all pulled today. My dentures make me look like a monkey. Thank you for this post. I feel better knowing tomorrow my dentist can fix the issues

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I too have "monkey mouth". I had my  teeth removed two weeks ago and both my lips are protruding. I don't even go out. Also I can't wear the bottom denture because there is a bone or something sticking out. They told me to brush it and it will go away.

49 Messages

• 

860 Points

I have monkey mouth also

49 Messages

• 

860 Points

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I agree with Karen but I am inclined to be a little more forceful on the topic.
You must see your dentist immediately to get your denture adjusted so that it does not cut into your lip. Do not accept delay on this topic. If your dentist is not friendly and kindly disposed toward frequent adjustments to your denture as you heal and become accustomed to your denture, you must find another dentist. Absent an adjustment, you will not get relief from the pain and you may develop an ulcer rather than "just" a sore.
It sounds to me like your dentist used too much soft liner in your denture and, as a result, you are experiencing "monkey mouth". This, too, can be fixed. Also, there should not be any gap between your gum and your denture -- not good for the fit -- not good for the comfort -- and not good for eating and drinking between both solids and liquids will find their way into the gap.
Although adjusting to a denture requires time, patience and practice, your current issues are beyond that realm. Please get help and let us know how you do. In the meantime, try a milkshake -- it tastes good and is filling (at least temporarily).
Good luck.
(from IHaveAGreatDentist)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi, your dentist should be able to shave some off your denture to stop it from cutting inot your gum. And, dont let him make you feel rushed. He is there to help you. He took your money easy enough didnt he? I found the first 7 to 10 days were the absolute worst. After that seems started to feel better bit by bit. I am heading into week 7. I too have a gap between my denture and gum, and mine is getting smaller. You will find your gums change every night. You wake up in the morning and things have changed. If something hurts go and have your dentist make an adjustment so it stops hurting. Because the pain wont go away without an adjustment It will only get worse.! Patience and persistance will get you thru. Everyday gets better. Take care.

(from mamaj)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Just had mad put in yesterday and i to feel like i look like i have a monkey mouth. hope you had your dentist fix the problem.Hope all is better
Thanks for letting me know i'm not the only one feeling this way.
(from hockey mom)

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Two years I have monkey mouth. Swollen lips, burning mouth, blisters , sores. Not a dam person will help me I wish I was dead

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

dont go to Mexico

37 Messages

• 

650 Points

I did it here and still look like a monkey 9 months later. I know people who had it done in Mexico and look awesome a feel great. Stupid statement.

16 Messages

• 

244 Points

stupid to go to Mexico..people die!!

37 Messages

• 

650 Points

Wow... Um, I've known dozens of people who go. Many here have their regular dentist there, but ok...

1 Message

• 

80 Points

5 years ago

My dentist says I have a short top lip but tells me how lucky I am to have such beautiful lips. Yeah, I know women pay to have full lips like mine. I would rather not have teeth that look and feel so big! He believes that the bottom teeth are naturally supposed to stick out , lean forward. I have been working with them since I had all my teeth removed in December 2014! Not happy with the look and miserable with the pain!

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

3 years ago

Hello my name is RJ and I had my 23 teeth pulled over a week and a half period then they told me to let my gums heel then once 4months was up I went in to have them looked at then waited again another 2months then finally had my impressions and all that stuff done and on my last appoinment that I had when they were still adjusting them at least I thought we were still adjusting them I noticed that my face looked different I guess the definition is monkey mouth I wasn`t happy with the way I looked but they went ahead and made the final denture and said come back in a couple days for any adjustments sore spots n stuff and I signed this piece of paper and afterwards I got to thinking that what was that paper all about because I hadn`t agreed on my dentures being good and happy with them to go ahead and make the final denture but they did and now I have been to the dentist 4 different times I have had 1 soft reline that never held went back had a hard reline on the bottom denture and it came back worse it didn`t grab at all nothing felt like it was way to big for my gums so she did a nother soft reline in the bottom denture and I said I needed my top denture relined also because it was starting to fall off easily I have always had to put adhesive on my dentures and I am currently dealing with the soft relines they did for the top and bottom and the top denture is holding a little better at this point in time but I can feel that it`s getting looser by the day and as for the bottoms they fall off again very easily and I have to put adhesive on my bottom and the top if I want to eat something but even if I do put adhesive on my bottom denture it still comes off while eating!! I still eat soft stuff like I did when I was heeling my gums I can`t eat anything solid properly without having issue`s every time I talk to the dentist office they justify everything that I tell them I am tired of being like this I should of went to a denturist but I didn`t know the difference at the time they should of saved a couple teeth on the bottom so my denture could have been secured but that was never mentioned to me that I could do as an option the dentist that pulled my teeth never did an impression they just pulled them all and said come back once they are heeled he ended up leaving to advance his schooling and the new dentist that arrived while I was heeling was fresh out of school without pics of my teeth or nothing so it`s been a huge issue since my question is if I were to tell them I want new dentures done that I am not happy with these will they be covered or do I have to pay for another pair of dentures I am so pissed off I should of done some research before I jumped into this but I didn`t realize what I was getting myself into I want to go to a actual denturist to see what they think of my dentures but I don`t want to loose my warranty please can anybody let me know what I can do, ask for a new pair or fix these ones or what ever other option I could have to deal with these hunks of junk!! 

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

There's a product called SECURE, adhesive, I have full uppers and lowers, I assure you that SECURE will NOT fail you on the uppers, and especially the lowers....it's amazing, nothing worked for me, nothing, but this adhesive is water proof and works totally different, and once you use it you'll never use anything else. Your slipping issues will end. It last literally all day.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Where did you buy this?I just got uppers and they told me to use powder fixodent which seems to wear off fast. I had 12 teeth pulled and don't like how loose it gets.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I ordered mine from Amazon, but when I eat, my teeth come loose. Nothing works. Not even sea bond strips.

2 Messages

• 

76 Points

I'm getting depressed reading this. I too have monkey mouth and even with seabond my upper moves around and cuts into my gum just under my nose. I feel like I have a big wad of chewing gum in my mouth. I have a hard time drinking from a glass and forget chewing.i go back in two days only because I threw a fit after they put the upper in and partial on the bottom. They fell out of my mouth every time i opened to even talk. I was angry and they rushed me out the door. They had a lot of patients back there and I was not quiet. The teeth look like baby teeth! DDS In grove oklahoma. I'll keep you posted on if they make this right.

133 Messages

• 

170 Points

3 years ago

Hello Good News i have only one son Kelly Shakeel and he was about going to die after he was diagnosed with Heart cancer and brain problmes, so i was going to Dr and my Dr said he has just three weeks to live, killy is my only son my family and my only best friend, and I couldn't afford to lose him. I started searching for help on-line to make sure my son don’t die, then I found someone name Khan Merriam saying about Dr Sandy, I told him about my problems and he gave me some words of encouragement tell me abut his Herbal medicine that he will do and sent with UPS POST OFFICE WITH MY HOME ADDRESS and he did an sent me herbal medicine and he instructed me on how to go about it, Dr Sandy also said my son will not die that he will be heart cancer free days after using the medicine , I did exactly what he asked me to , now my son that was suppose to live for just two weeks has lived two weeks more and he is very okay , he is fine , just like any other children my son is fine.i was so happy and tell the HERBAL DR about my illness Herpes 2 and ask if he can cure that hes say yes happen again he send me the herbal medicine and use it for 14days too but now me and my son is fine and live a good life, i did not know what to say or do for you papa Srandy all i can do is to tell the word about you and give my life to you pls friends help me thanks him Lesson: Don’t give up in life; 
 HE HAVE CURE FOR THIS ILLNESS. HIV HERPES BODY CANCER HEART CANCER BLOOD CANCER HPV ALS EASY PROBLEM E T C.. 
what ever you are passing through today can be your testimony tomorrow:  Email;  dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com  OR call Whats App Number +2349031726182 https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
 THANKS  FOR SANDY..... 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

3 years ago

RJM, I feel so bad for all you have been through. I realize this was posted 5 months ago and was curious if you ever got your issue’s fixed.? I also am experiencing pain from the dentures cutting into my gums on top of the whole “ monkey mouth” look. It’s depressing yet I’m only 2 in half weeks into it. Hope you got your issues resolved.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

No I haven`t Linda she tried to fix them but they are still not sitting proper like when I bite down they aren`t lined up they sit to the left and right of each other and the top sits way forward, I bite my top lip all the time and the bottoms like everybody else`s don`t sit still and have eat Fixodent powder and paste all the time, I am going to have to go to another place and redo this whole process but I don1t have the $ for this stuff so I will have to save and get them done once I have the $ and this time I will be getting them done by a proper Denturist not a rookie dentist I wish they would of recommended that I go to a denturist but I guess when there is $ involved they will pounce on that opportunity not thinking how much this effects a person`s life I don`t go out like I use to and will stay away from pics as much as possible, the life of a person that can`t afford implants or expensive denture`s, 40 yrs old and have plastic teeth doesn`t help the confidence and until I have these properly fixed I will be single and eating like a 80 yr old.

15 Messages

• 

306 Points

I had. A partial on top that looked just fine. Well i went ahead and had 11 teeth removed thats all i and left and got full top and bottoms the bottoms look fine. Btw I had this all done yesyerday. It's the top that's the problem they remind me of me ed the talking horse or what y'all say is referred to as monkey mouth but im in no pain and it doesn't hurt my gums just feels really big and make my upper lip where mustache and such is protrude? I'm not even really dealing with swollen on top because when i had a partial on top it was my front teeth and all so they didn't have to pull them hell the partial looks more real then the dentures i have in now they didn't protrude or make me have monkey mouth i don't understand what i need to do to fix this i went back today and the dentist said they looked fine to come back in 4 to 6 weeks when everything is healed but like i tried to tell him most of my top teeth were gone anyway so why does my partial not make my upper lip protrude but this huge denture does. I'm what to do anymore

37 Messages

• 

650 Points

2 years ago

I have not. I am slated to get my first hard alignment next week and I'm afraid I'll look worse. Its been 3 months now and I'm miserable. Honestly feel I look like a freak . I look HORRIBLE without them. I also talk for a living and it was ok at first but now it seems no matter what adhesive I use the uppers slip and I can barely speak coherently. I lisp so badly you can not understand me. I might lose my job if this doesn't get better....

37 Messages

• 

650 Points

2 years ago