Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

Thu, Jun 18, 2015 1:21 PM

Help???

hi all, my name is Tommy I'm 63 years old and got dentures over a year ago,, I joined the web site with hope that maybe talking will help with my depression since getting my dentures I never wear the uppers can't stand the way they feel, have to wear the bottoms because my dentist left 4 teeth in that are now discolored from the root canals. I cannot talk clear with the lowers so I never really join in conversation, don't like being around people anymore, I never attend function anymore, never go out to eat, always have an excuse for why I can't, I need to find a new job but to embarrassed to apply, all I know is I cant continue going on like this its effecting my health, my personality, and work. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. How do you get throught this and cope??

Responses

4 Messages

• 

254 Points

5 years ago

Hey Tommy, when I first got my upper denture, it felt weird at first too. Felt like I wanted to gag and throw up, but I just pushed through it and got used to it after a couple of days. The gagging desire was gone by the next day. I think it’s an adjustment phase we all go through. You need to practise talking, it will get easier after a while. If you’re worried about what people might think, I say who gives a crap about them. If they’re going to be like that to someone going through a rough patch, it shows what kind of people they really are, and you’re better off without them.

I think it’s a metal shift we all go through. Stay positive, I know it sounds like hippie-talk, but your attitude towards yourself can be changed at any time. You're the one in control of this. This is not something that could defeat you. Dentures make us sexy as hell don’t forget.

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

5 years ago

thanks Damien, your absolutely right, i should not let it control me, but its hard, thats why i joined, hoping that maybe if i talk about it,  hear what others are doing and how they deal with every day life it will give that push to get on with my life.

17 Messages

• 

630 Points

5 years ago

Hi Tommy I just got dentures a week ago. I am still getting used to tops. But the more you wear them the more normal they feel. I am still "learning" to talk with them. I practice when I'm driving..If I feel like I'm not talking clearly to someone I just let them know that I just got dentures and I am still learning to talk with them. The people that matter wont care that you have dentures. If you have a good set people really cant tell you have them. Put the tops in and wear them for a few days, you will get use to them and how they feel. Practice talking when you are by yourself. My main problems are words starting with SH. So I practice saying words that start with them. Be proud and never be ashamed of having them.

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

5 years ago

Hi Pamela thanks for the reply, your reply is a big help to me, i can not believe you  tell people you wear them, you are not embarrassed??

17 Messages

• 

630 Points

5 years ago

No sir I am not. I Have gum disease so my teeth were all decayed and breaking off along with being In pain most of the time. I hated smiling and tried not to. I felt like getting dentures was just a dream for me because of the cost. But finally I got a job that offers excellent and very affordable isurance and started the process. I am very proud of my dentures and smile every time I look in a mirror. I am single right now and I do wonder if I were to get into a serious relationship if having dentures would cause problems but the way I look at it is if they can't accept it then I don't need them in my life. Please don't be embarrassed to have dentures. There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. Millions of people have them.

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

I love this comment.

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

5 years ago

maybe its just me, so much going on in my life and this just compounds everything,, i try not to look at it in a negative way but not doing so well, maybe if more people reply and i actually see how many we are it would help.

17 Messages

• 

630 Points

5 years ago

I know several people personally that have dentures. The people on this forum just make up a few of the millions that have them.

7 Messages

• 

198 Points

5 years ago

I have had my uppers for a year now. I love them. No they are not my natural teeth but they are very nice. I feel once you go through the process of removing the bad teeth, the weeks of getting fitted and the learning of how to wear them is a must. You paid for them and you know you need them. But first you must give them a chance to work by using them daily. After a month or so of daily usage they will be almost second nature. Like I said not the originals but a workable option.

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

5 years ago

I guess its just me, when i first got them i could not stand the adhesive on the roof of my mouth and trying to remove it, along with the gaging and choking feeling so i just gave up, the lowers i wear, i have too because of the four teeth left and you can see them when my mouth is partially open, but even those are uncomfortable, and when i eat or chew gum they seem to irritate the side of  my tongue. I have been back to the dentiest for that issue, and according to him its something i have to get use to, realy after a year you think i would be use to it. oh well what can one do???

5 Messages

• 

122 Points

5 years ago

Tommy, I'm 46 and have an upper denture and I only told my close friends and family and understand feeling embarrassed about them. I would think at 63 people would be a little more understanding about the situation and like Pam said millions of people have them. I didn't even know a few had them till I got mine.  Next year I will be getting the bottoms pulled and 4 mini implants put in for a snap in lower denture. After I get that paid off I will be getting implants for the upper also. The implants just seem so much easier but cost more.  I have attached a few Youtube video of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_M-7HbEJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBZYyEuI8Vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwkiEvZUrM

12 Messages

• 

320 Points

Thanks Ron checked out the u tube, they got to cost a fortune.

5 Messages

• 

122 Points

They aren't cheap but you have to shop around, im looking at around 10-12k for both upper & lower.........There are some places that charge 55-60k and who could afford that.