Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Getting denture adhesive off my gums and the roof of my mouth

I just got my dentures 2 weeks ago. My dentist said I could use the adhesive today. I used it, waited for 45 minutes to eat and it didn't hold at all. So needless to say, I took them out and YUCK! I was gagging and thought I was going to vomit. I was sending myself into a full blown panic attack ! I had it all over my gums and roof of my mouth. I tried a toothbrush, nope. Tryed my fingers, nope. I tried scratching it off gently with a finger nail but didn't get much so I had to leave the rest in. Eventually it went away I guess because it's not there. What can I do?
(from wetnsilkie)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

lmaoo i have the same problem..i took my tooth brush and brush it good and whatever else i couldnt remove i use my finger nail,then i try not to think about it and just drink something.
(from Softnsexykitten)

1 Message

• 

102 Points

I also am a denture wearer and I found just plain warm water just keep rinsing your mouth with warm water it takes about 2 minutes but it works

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

I use Sea Bond and for some time it worked well. No goo! However for some reason lately I've noticed the Sea Bond is slipping backwards. Not good. So I just bought the Polygrip strips. They had great but now I have the goo issue again.

3 Messages

• 

202 Points

I use an infants fingertip toothbrush and toothpaste to remove the goo from my mouth.  Works like a charm.  Just don't use the NUK brand one.   It isn't shaped right for the adult mouth!   Good luck!

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I will have to try this. I think we might even have one in box of stuff my daughter didn't use for my grandson. Thanks for the tip.

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Something I found that works for me is swishing equal parts water-as hot as you can handle - and alcohol based mouthwash (so I keep a bottle of both kinds of mouthwash - 1 with & 1 without alcohol.

After I soak my teeth in my Polident for smokers 15-minute soak, I brush and rinse, then put in a separate denture container with cold water and a very small amount of non-alcohol mouthwash to get rid of taste of soft reline

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Greetings All,
I have been wearing dentures for close to 35 years and have to admit never having any success with the denture creams. I started out when back then using a product called Fasteeth powder and it was introduced to me by my father. My father was using it for many years before that.
Fasteeth when through a name change to the Fixodent Regular Hold and Extra Hold powders. These powders work sensationally. About 15/30 minutes after applying the powder you can eat with comfort and ease. I can bite into an apple without any movement in my top denture. I still have bottom teeth so I cannot give any recommendation on how the powder works for a lower denture.
So if the creams are not doing the job for you, make the switch to the powder. Read the directions on the box on how to apply. Just one word of caution do not take a deep breath right after the application. You do not want that powder sticking to the back of your mouth which I have done many times in those 35 years. However even in that case that is a small price to pay for how great the powder works for me.
Honestly, I do not know what I would do if the Fixodent Powder was eliminated from P&G product line.
I hope this helps.
(from Parr)

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

i didn't know they still made powder. i would like to try it. my mom used fastteeth and never complained of food or anything. i remember it smell yucky. but it seemed to cover her denture evenly. i don't remember her lowers getting anything at all. as a matter of fact, she may not have had lowers when i was a kid.

16 Messages

• 

312 Points

Would you know where to get it I've had no luck finding it thanks

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

Walmart has it and it's like 4 dollars, the bottle lasts about 2-3 months

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Amazon. I have had dentures for 8 days when can I use adhesive?

68 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

This information was very helpful. I am just in the process of deciding what to use for my upper denture. I find if I bite on the back teeth the front seems loose. I will try the powder. I was also looking at something called Seabond, looks like a tape. Has anybody tried this? Thanks for input
Nancy

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Not sure what cream u are using. I use fixodent and when used correctly works immediately. Make sure the dentures are dry, do not put too muchand do not put any near the edges. Getting the adhesive out after taking out the dentures isn't fun but takes some getting used to. I use a paper towel to get the area dry, then pull the adhesive out with my fingers. Others use a brush but I have had no luck that way. I have also tried the powder and it is a lot less messier but I found it did not hold my dentures as well as the cream. Keep working at it and it will get much easier. Good luck.
(from deskzombie)

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

Try teaspoon soda bikarbona or baking soda

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I have the same issue. I had the surgery in October to remove my teeth and I got the dentures a few days before Christmas and I still can’t keep the stupid things still when I chew no matter what I do.
It feels as though I have bone pushing through the skin in 3 or 4 place... I’m ready to give up and sit down to cry. It’s so much easier to just yank them out and gum food! It’s so depressing. :-(

5 Messages

• 

160 Points

Don’t give up go back into the dentist and have them reline them you could also try some fixident I have found that works the best

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Takes time to adjust to how it differs

1 Message

• 

82 Points

my denturist told me I will have sore spots for a few days, of longer go see him. He also made a followup appointment and told me it will tale some tome to adjust to everything like speech, the feeling. I jist got mine so I haven't found ways of cleaning my gums yet.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

i bought 2 bundles of white dish rags and use them dry and they get the cream of my gum,,,i wash the rags with hot water and bleach. works good for me
(from feethead)

14 Messages

• 

598 Points

That's the method I use now too after finding that simply rinsing and using a toothbrush was a major fail. Once the teeth come out, I've got to get the "gunk" out asap - it's sickening! So first I use a washcloth and warm water and wipe my mouth, then I brush and finish with diluted Listerine rinse.

4 Messages

• 

176 Points

Me too!

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

I am using little bit baking soda or soda bikarbona and then gets quick off

1 Message

• 

60 Points

How do you apply the baking soda

1 Message

• 

102 Points

We've got to find a better way this is crazy

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi.....Same problem!!.....My Denturist suggested 2"- 3"- or 4" sterile gauze pads and Listerine mouthwash.
Bit of a 'hassle'......but works (ok!).
(from robert456)

68 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I have had similar problems and much frustration with removal of adhesives.  I will likely try your method, Robert.  I have wondered why the makers of creams have not produced a mouthwash or something designed specifically to REMOVE the stuff once it's in the mouth and needs to come out.  ATTENTION SUPPORT STAFF:  CAN YOU ADDRESS MY QUESTION IN THIS COMMENT?????

1 Message

• 

80 Points

Eat popcorn and it immediately goes away

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

I do that lol

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I use cream on both upper and lower. I let my dentures soak in cleanser and it comes off fairly easily with a brush. For my gums I swish hot water around a couple of times and Bush with toothpaste, it usually comes out. Good luck.

9 Messages

• 

168 Points

Will try

6 Messages

• 

286 Points

7 years ago

Hi.. I too am having a problem getting it all out. I have had dentures for 8 days. i just use a little in back where my teeth had previously been removed. my mouth is still to sore to be sticking fingers in there.:) and i was wondering if you swallow some will it make you sick? I have thrush so i have to take them out every 5 hours to use the meds i was prescribed. This is defin. not fun at this point. scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes have become my favs... i did use my bullet to puree some meatballs and that did work really well and was yummy. and since a reg. spoon was just too long at this point i bought a baby spoon and it has been working great. since i will be a grandma in August it won't go to waste... Thanks for reading...

123 Messages

• 

2K Points

Hi Cindy, I know you've got a lot to get used to right now, but in time you'll feel comfortable with your new teeth. Fixodent is slowly dissolved by saliva, and some of it may eventually be swallowed. Studies have shown that the adhesives in Fixodent pass essentially unchanged through the digestive system as undigested material and are eliminated without any detectable consequences.  

How exciting that you're going to be a grandma!

83 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

lol, a meatball blast, my fave is spinach, banana, blueberries and flax seed. My sis made one with all veggies and said it was yucky, nothing to sweeten it.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I have found that Poli-Grip comes off better than Fixodent. There really is no way around digging it off with your fingers. It's so gross and embarrassing if anyone sees me digging around in my mouth like that - lol, but I've found the Poli-Grip a little more pleasant if I can't get all of it out. Right now I would love to have the problem - I just threw my denture out in a tissue! Its GONE. I broke my NUMBER ONE rule and put it in a tissue when I took it out at my mom's house!!!! STUPID..Anybody know how much it costs JUST to get an upper denture done - without all of the pulling teeth, etc.?

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I just got a partial from these guys. My dentist inspected it this morning and was quite impressed. I am not comfortable with it, but it is my first and I guess it takes some time getting used to these things. Cost me 350 for my partial. http://doityourselfdentalimpressionki...

1 Message

• 

100 Points

it cost me around 3000 for both dentures, having 9 teeth extracted and the joys of digging poligrip out of my mouth. I am still trying to figure out which is more fun

1 Message

• 

472 Points

7 years ago

I have found that using a solution of warm water and vineger is very helpful in removing adhesive from mouth and dentures. Just mix about 1tbsp of white vinegar with 6 to 8 oz of very warm water.(I like my water to be very hot like coffee) l rinse a couple of times with denture in. The warm water helps to soften the adhesive. I remove my denture and put them in the tub with vinegar water, then swish and spit to remove adhesive from my mouth. The vinegar water is also helpful for dealing with thrush. Thanks for reading, hope it helps someone.

1 Message

• 

102 Points

I am an advocate for the uses of vinegar. This is one more .marvelous way to use it.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

WOW THANKS FOR THE VINAGAR INPUT I HAVE HAD A REALLY HARD TIME WITH THE REMOVING OF THE ADHEHSIVE FROM THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH. I USE BRAGGS VINEGAR ALL THE TIME ANY WAY FOR CRAMPS. YOU CRIKEYS ARE GREAT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

Sissy, thank you from a total newbie for that info. I just got my temporary upper last week, my dentist only told me yesterday I can put a small dab of cream in the back (my gums are still pretty sore), so my dad gave me a tube of Fixadent he had he wasn't using. So I decided to try it tonight, but I can't wear the denture for long periods of time yet. So I looked online and found this discussion. I came to your comment - I only keep white vinegar on hand for cleaning, so I know it's powerful. I went to the kitchen, poured a hot cup of water, poured a little vinegar in it, and two swishes later, the denture was out and the majority of the adhesive stayed on it. I used a small scrub pad with vinegar to wipe the rest off the back of my tongue. Then I rinsed my mouth with something that tasted better than vinegar and used that scrub pad to clean the denture, too. I didn't have a lot of paste on it, just 3 dabs, but it made the denture, even though it's a temporary, feel almost perfect - for a foreign object in my mouth. My bottom teeth are mine, some I haven't been able to eat off because of the state of my natural uppers, so I'm really hopeful a denture paste will allow me to finally enjoy my bottom teeth. Thanks so much, everyone here helped make up for my lack of foresight.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Be careful with vinegar if you have a soft liner... it will make it harden much faster than if not using vinegar.  I only use the vinegar to rinse the adhesive out of my mouth once the teeth are out.

1 Message

• 

64 Points

In our home we love Braggs!!!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6 years ago

I have had my dentures about 6 months and I have found the longer you wear them the easier it is to remove the polygraph I usually use paper towel, warm water and my toothbrush

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

6 years ago

Thanks for the tip Sissy. I'll try vinegar. You can also mix it with liquid dish soap and it kills some household insects.

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

white vinegar pretty much disable stink bugs, mixed with dawn and epsom salts kills poison ivy. I use it for pickling silver when making jewelry so gonna try it with the goo issue. its also fun to poor on lime to show your kids how vinegar is an acid and eats pressurized sea bottom that is now rock on ground.

5 Messages

• 

182 Points

Sorry to get off subject but....Jo May can you give the quantity of each for the poison ivy? I am VERY allergic. Thanks so much.

14 Messages

• 

272 Points

Warm water and a tooth brush to get the adhesive Off. After 6 months it gets easier . I still have temporaries so next week or the week after I get my permanent ones .

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

6 years ago

Vinegar works pretty good. I might try balsamic tomorrow.