dentureliving_faq's profile

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Getting denture adhesive off my gums and the roof of my mouth

I just got my dentures 2 weeks ago. My dentist said I could use the adhesive today. I used it, waited for 45 minutes to eat and it didn't hold at all. So needless to say, I took them out and YUCK! I was gagging and thought I was going to vomit. I was sending myself into a full blown panic attack ! I had it all over my gums and roof of my mouth. I tried a toothbrush, nope. Tryed my fingers, nope. I tried scratching it off gently with a finger nail but didn't get much so I had to leave the rest in. Eventually it went away I guess because it's not there. What can I do?
(from wetnsilkie)

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6年前

Powder is amazing, but as for removing any adhesive, ive found swishing (not swallowing!!!) Ice cold water, the using brush, white Good(I prefer sparkle) paper towel, or a white rag wipes it right out.

1 Message

• 

160 Points

6年前

Thank goodness i found your website while looking for the wipes to clean your mouth and gums after removing your dentures for the day...i have bottom and top plates and while i am proud to have beautiful teeth again its pretty much been trial and error for me on several things about the maintenance.Disappointed greatly that my dentist did not see fit to give me more info on what to do and not do where my dentures are concerned, The main issue i have had from the beginning till about 10 minutes ago is the removal of my top and bottom plate and the god awful paste left in my mouth.Its slimy,sticky,taste bad and god for bid if i swallow by accident or start to throw up!
I've tried everything (not the powder) or the  wipes but those two things are on my list of things to shop for along with a finger baby toothbrush.I set aside 30 minutes to put in dentures and the removal of the dentures which ends up being more like 45 minutes and the entire time i am feel sick to my stomach. After all is said and done its sad that our dentist or their assistants don't provide us with more knowledge.The professional should be aware of the concerns of their clients concerns with out having to wait to be asked the correct thing to do. Print up an informational topic sheet and arm your client with knowledge.The professionals act as though they are embarrassed by the situation.When i got contacts i was shown how to clean and take them in and out.Enough said. Just another hurdle in life!

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

6年前

I am in complete agreement about the frustrations I've encountered that could have been avoided if only the dental/same day denture facility would have taken just a few minutes and explained how to place them, remove them (and the gunk ), and of course upkeep.

Basically I went into the same day denture place for a consult-they took an X-ray and reviewed my health history, at which point I was told that I would have to go to an oral surgeon because of my heath and then we talked about the process. I then went to my oral surgeon for a consult. One week later I had 18 teeth removed and an immediate set , that I picked up the day before, in place

I've been back for adjustments weekly and have yet to be told anything in regards to care of my mouth or dentures .

I will also say THANK GOD for finding this board!! !

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

16 Messages

• 

720 Points

6年前

45 minutes to get the adhesive out of your mouth? You really need to go to the powder. The bottom plate put the powder in and cover it with water using a medicine dropper. Let it sit a few minutes and put it in. It will stay in place all day. I eat pretty much whatever I want. I had ribs and corn on the cob for dinner tonight. At the end of the night sometimes they are a little hard to get out but I'm done in under 2 minutes most nights.

10 Messages

• 

360 Points

Does the powder just rinse out or do you need to scrub and pull it out like the cream.

16 Messages

• 

720 Points

Sometimes it comes out all in 1 piece sometimes I have to brush it out but it never takes me more than 2 minutes

3 Messages

• 

104 Points

And if any powder is stuck on the roof of my mouth i just swish with warm water and bam it comes out

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I have a horseshoe cut on my uppers so they are just like my lowers. I wonder if the powder would work well on my uppers because of the horseshoe cut ? Anyone know?

4 Messages

• 

256 Points

6年前

I've had my dentures for a few weeks now, and due to needing adjustments, I haven't been able to wear them other tan showing them off. I got them adjusted today, got home, put in the fixodent gel, waited almost two hours, and thought I would be able to eat. Ughhhhh! I guess I didn't use enough gel on my bottom denture, and it pulled up after only two bites of my toasted cheese sandwich ( which I have been craving for months, soft foods really get awfully tiring and boring). I had to go and remove my dentures and the horrible mess left in my mouth made me sick to my stomach. I used a soft toothbrush, which immediately got gunked up, tried using a washcloth, and ended up using a fingernail very gently to remove as much as possible. I am so glad to find this board! I am going to look for the fixodent powder, and the wipes mentioned above, as right now the thought of putting more of that gel in my mouth has me gagging. I really thought today was going to be my first good food day in 6 months ( had to have my extraction surgeries in stages, and it took 3 weeks to get my teeth, then another two for adjustments, etc.). I am just so damned hungry! For real food! Thank you to all who have posted, I feel I have learned a great deal here today, will check back in once I get things working properly.

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Beth I an right there with you! I am so sick and tired of soft foods and not eating that it's driving me insane!

I'm having the same problem with my lowers staying in place. I did ask the dentist about it and she agreed that I was right. There isn't as much surface to cover and we don't get the suction on the lowers like we do the uppers. But also our gums are not healed very well and so whatever we put on to make them stay gets into the pockets and also combines with saliva and goes down our throats.

I have been assured we will get to eat again! ;-)

4 Messages

• 

256 Points

It makes such a difference to me, knowing that I am not just being a suck, that other people are having the same issues as me! I had thought that once I had my dentures, everything would be smooth sailing... Boy was I wrong. But I have a wedding to fly away to in 2 weeks, so I'm feeling the pressure to get things working smoothly. I don't want my teeth to fall out at the wedding reception!!! Thank you AliciaP!

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

I'm glad I could help. With the powder, definitely do what others have said - add water, wait, then put them in.

Good luck and keep in touch!

4 Messages

• 

256 Points

I went out last night and got the powder, haven't put the dentures back in yet, as I really hurt my gums yesterday trying to get the goo all off. I also bought a baby toothbrush that goes on your finger, with latex bristles, so I'm sure I won't do as much damage cleaning my gums again. Thanks again for all your help, and to everyone on the board, your suggestions have really turned my hopes around!

1 Message

• 

100 Points

Sounds funny, but I use a dry t shirt, rag ect and pinch it between gums and pull it will come off that way

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

6年前

I don't seem to have any problems with the powder. My dentist did recommend using an ultra-soft toothbrush. That along with Aim toothpaste and no problems. Although when I'm taking the tops out it looks funky I don't have any problems getting it out of mouth or off toothbrush.

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

I haven't used the powder yet. I don't think my dentures fit snug enough for that? I really have no idea. Out of desperation last night I used my denture brush. The bristles were stiff enough to grab the gunk and pull it out pretty easily. It saved me at least 15 minutes trying to get it out with paper towels.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6年前

The powder works fairly well (not great), but DO NOT buy any powder or adhesive that contains Zinc. There are dozens of lawsuits against adhesive companies (Fixodent, Poligrip, etc.) that use zinc. Zinc poisoning can be fatal: side effects include neuropathy (a very painful nerve disease); numbness in the hands and feet; pain and/or tingling in the extremities; loss of ability to move legs, feet, arms, or hands; poor balance; decrease in walking stride; and a whole lit of other issues. If you can afford it (which I can't at the moment), SAVE every penny and get the ALL on FOUR implants. The cost is around $11,000 for the procedure plus adapting your existing denture to fit onto the ALL on FOUR implants and is supposed to last about 4-5 years. The titanium lined denture is LOTs more (on top of the $11,000). In my opinion, it's worth every cent I can save (to me). BTW: what's it like kissing with dentures? How do you explain that plastic palate in the roof of your mouth?

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

6年前

Hi all I wanted to share a few things that I have learned over the last few months. I have had a lot of the same issues that you all are having. I am now using Proligrip super strong all day hold to hold mine in. I just use a small strip in top and bottom. I have noticed that using this stuff compared to the other stuff (powder and Fixodent) is that once you have it in for a long period of time that it get thick and sometimes it just wears off and there is almost no clean up. I have also used the flavored kind in poligrip but it changes the flavor of some food and kind of burns my gums. I do want to say this people don't give up it does get better I thought that I would never get to eat normal again. I ate a nice steak dinner the other night with no problems. So hang in there!! and if anyone has any questions feel free to email me of comment here I am pretty open about talking about it DRothmeyer719@gmail.com

3 Messages

• 

104 Points

I use the poligrip powder too and love it

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I do also.The powder works well for me.I use the Poligrip.Of course the Fixodent powder with the zinc holds the best and longest.I have that only for that once in a while special occasion:) Don't want to get sick for that great hold:(

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6年前

COCA-COLA ! Works like a charm !! 

254 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

1 Message

• 

60 Points

6年前

I have an active and intimate relationship with my life partner and have found that the Seabomd wafers work best, have no taste, and have remained secure during our frequent and passionate activities. I detest creams and can neither kiss nor do anything else without worrying if I use them. It was a real thrill kill. He is satisfied with my use of the wafers until I can get implants.

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

6年前

Just to prove how big of a difference there is between people and adhesives - I used Sea Bond uppers and lowers the other day and wound up taking them out within a half hour.

I will try them again at least 2 more times. When I put them in the other day it was only about 15 minutes before I ate so I don't think that they had enough time to adhere properly. So in the middle of eating, I took the lowers out and removed the pad, gave them a quick clean up and put some poligrip strips on. They were quickly a slimy mess as well so I finished eating what I could and took our both dentures. I took a look at the uppers that still had the Sea Bond wafer on it and realized that it was mostly still dry-I obviously didn't dampen it enough to get a good hold. I'll try again. I will also try again when there isn't a very thick soft reline on my dentures.

For now I'm sticking with Secure if I will be wearing them all day, or Fixodent if I'll only need them for a couple hours.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

5年前

Well I've read a lot of reviews, and not a one of them relate to my problem. My problem is driving me and even my husband up a wall! From the time I put my paste on my dentures and put them in my mouth, I have to deal with constantly wiping the paste off my lips. I can't keep up with it! And sometimes it just rub it off. It looks awful* my husband gets embarrassed to be with me. And keeps on telling me to wipe my mouth. Im so tired of this! I know it sounds like I have too much paste on my teeth, but I've experimen3d and that hasn't helped either. Im desperate for n answer. If any body out there has this same problem, please let me know how they deal with it!

17 Messages

• 

342 Points

I have the problem of adhesive squishing out in the back.  It is putting too much on but I can't seem to avoid it.  I use the kleenex towels that are heavy like paper towels and I keep them in the bathroom (for me and guests).  I get them wet and as soon as I put in my dentures I use warm water on the towel and wipe around where I have adhesive oozing out.  Then I close my mouth and then check it again.  It can still ooze out so keep checking.  I have a lot of problem in the back and tend to pick at it so I have to get it out so I don't do the gross digging in my mouth thing.  I've never had it come out on my lips and mouth and that really sounds like you're using too much (sorry) .  If you use fixodent gum care (I swear by it) they stress using just a thin line around the upper denture and I have a partial on the bottom and still have a problem learning to use just 3 drops but that is really all I need to squeeze out it really is because as you bite down it spreads out.  I hope to get used to that eventually but it's hard.  I had a check up today and was reminded the fit is fine on the bottom but tooth care of remaining teeth AND GUMS is up to me.  And that is the truth. Even if you have no teeth care, gum care is our job.  That means salt water rinses and resting without dentures at bedtime and if necessary removing dentures after eating to get anything stuck under them out.  Good luck

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Diana Dale Minyard ...I have the same problem although what makes it a little better for me as Ive said before is Coca Cola. It seems to immediately take whatever extra glue that comes out the top & sides away so no embarrassing white in the corners of my mouth & on my lips. I also use it to get the glue out of my mouth after I remove my dentures. I havent tried but Im sure any carbonated soda will work. Hope this helps.

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

When I used paste I would use a small amount and never had your troubles.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

My same problem. My lips and mouth are so dry from using adhesives. I have to always wipe my mouth and lips constantly.

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

5年前

I have found that I like the powder so much better. I used the fixodent at first but a friend turned me on to the powder by polident. Love it and all you have to do is follow the directions on the box. Try it if you are having problems with the paste.

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

5年前

I can eat anything I want to and I am not trying to brag as I was worried when I first got them as with everyone else. I just tried different things until I found something I like. Now on Friday the 2nd of Sept I go in for my first lining change. Wish me luck all turns out fine. If not I will be going back. Ha ha

4 Messages

• 

192 Points

4年前

Hey guys I have post here before when I was new to the denture life. It has been almost 3 years now since I got mine. This is what I have figured out. Don't put too much glue in and it won't make such a mess. Once you put them in don't take them back out until they break lose on their own most of the time the glue is set up enough by that point that it comes right off. I have also you found once you put them in with glue do not try and take them back out makes a big mess! If anyone else has questions please let me know I have had the same struggles that most of you have had.