Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

6 Messages

• 

194 Points

Sat, Feb 20, 2016 1:52 AM

Full Mouth Extractions and Immediate Upper and Lower Dentures

Today I had Full Mouth Extractions and Immediate Upper and Lower Dentures all in one day at NYU Dentistry School. WOW what an experience. They where great and very professional. They talked with me in detail for the past weeks leading up to today. I am indeed a candidate for implants but they requested that I get dentures first...then let the gums heal...then come back in 3 to 6 months for upper and lower dental implants.

My experience: They numbed me up so good that I did not feel anything. I can't talk quite yet and very scared to eat something. I will just drink protein shakes for the next few days. Do not like gagging every time I attempt talk. I am scared to go back to work next due to my gagging with upper dentures in. I work in sales management and need to talk to my clients this week with no issues. I have to learn how to speak and eat all over again. Dating will be an issue because I can not talk properly due to gagging/gag reflex with upper denture in. HELP!!!!!!!

My question to the Denture Living community: What can I do to prevent gagging all the time with my upper dentures in?

Responses

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

5 years ago

Welcome to the community Mark!

First, your gagging problem is not uncommon. So take comfort in that

There are a couple of possible reasons you are experiencing gagging. Your mouth is probably very swollen and the denture is not going to fit very well for the first few weeks so you have less room in your mouth than you're used to.

The other reason could be that the denture is simply too deep and too close to the gag zone. This can be easily corrected by getting your dentist to shorten it a bit. They do this easily with dremel.

I personally had difficulty speaking until I got a soft reline. Then suddenly I had no problem.

If you can get into the dentist over the weekend or first thing Monday I'm sure they can help make you more comfortable.

6 Messages

• 

194 Points

Thanks for the advice. I have a follow up appointment next Friday. I will make the best of it until then.  Thanks so much for your quick reply.

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

How are you doing today?

6 Messages

• 

194 Points

Doing better today teaching myself to learn how to talk without gagging all the time.

38 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I think gagging is a natural reflex to having a foreign object inyour mouth. It will go away soon. Although I occasionally gag when inserting my upper denture and I have had mine for a year. Good luck on this adventure. There was no way they could prepare you unless they have dentures. It does get easier. This is a great site for help on this journey.

18 Messages

• 

320 Points

Good morning I had my surgery on May 19, 2017 I choose to go full dentures my teeth were very loose and I lost a lot of bone destiny and missing a lot of bottom teeth due to being diabetic I actually didn't feel my teeth being remove but very sore gums for a week or less went home with temporary dentures had to keep them in for 48 hours most of the swelling is down had the upper denture adjusted fits good the bottom is very hard to eat with my dentist office said I will get my permanent dentures will take 3-6 months but I sure do have gag reflex its awful and the salvia grosses me out I do feel better and healthier do any you recommend denture glue to use.

12 Messages

• 

350 Points

2 years ago

Hello. This is day 6 since full extraction upper and lower with immediate dentures. It has been an experience for sure. I’m getting a new set of dentures in the next week or so as the tissue heals. Posts will be placed in late July. Full implants by Christmas 2018. I’m having a bit of feeling like a fever with chills today. Dentist says it’s normal. The body is trying to work out the anesthesia and trauma. I think some of it may be due to lack of protein and nourishing foods. So more protein drinks and sugar less Gatorade for electrolytes. I so appreciate hearing from others. The pain got me last night. I broke down and cried. Today, I put on my big boys pants and am trying to stay focused. I know I can do this. I’m 61 yo and this is an investment in my retirement and future!!

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

a year ago

Day #5 post-surgery, age 67 female, 4 and one-half hour surgery; full-mouth extractions, implants placed:
4 upper + 4 lower; for snap-in removable dentures ~ 6 months hopefully; full IV general anesthesia.
From the surgeon's offices to my denturist for immediate dentures placement.

I don't remember most of that entire day; which entailed a 4:30am departure, two hours to The Big City;
and 2 hours return trip. A 12 hour day. altogether.

Doing okay, I think.
Swollen, tender wounds 'hurt' when putting the dentures back in after rinsing with salt water, cleaning denture gently under runnIng water as speedily as possible, so to get them back in promptly;
before it's too swollen/too painful to re-seat the dentures!

Denturist suggested today to go back to applying cold/ice packs for the swollen tissue.
(I had instructions to do warm packs on day 4, 5. That seemed counter-intuitive to me, given the swelling.

Instructions to clean dentures, salt water rinse, chlorhexedine rinse at bedtime;
and to sleep in dentures the first 7 nights. I heartily concur! I don't want to be without them in my mouth.
And have concern that at some time, I might not be able to get them back in my mouth, due to swelling.
So I am sipping on ice in hopes of relieving some swelling, for more comfort and to lessen discomfort.

I am surprisingly 'okay' with this " mouth full of plastic".
My attitude is good. It helps greatly staying-over with a friend this week of post-surgery recovery.
I am deeply grateful for everyone, and unto God, that has helped in this ongoing major life-change/transition in aging.

162 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Day 5: Back to cold packs; off of warm packs.