Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

10 Messages

• 

256 Points

Wed, Aug 26, 2015 12:14 AM

FIXODENT NIGHTMARE

My dentist said I could start using a SMALL amount of fixodent to hold my temporary dentures in place but to be careful because my mouth is still healing. So I had been using a tiny bit of it for the past week or so. Every night I make sure to really clean my dentures and my mouth to clear out all the residue. Well I guess I only THOUGHT it was cleared out. Today I was eating and a huge wad of it got stuck to the side of my tongue. My mouth always felt clean I mean I rinse several times a day I am REALLY good at keeping up oral hygiene since my mouth is still healing I'm super on top of it. Anyway apparently residue built up? Even though I've been cleaning my mouth and it felt clean? (Like every night I would rinse/brush until nothing in there felt stick any more) I panicked for like an hour because my tongue felt stuck and I kept gagging. I tried to get it loose/dissolve it and NOTHING was working. I was pulling chunks of it out of my mouth I mean WAY back in my mouth near my throat where it some how collected? I don't even use the normal amount I use WAY LESS because I can't use the normal amount WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED HERE!? Needless to say now I'm too terrified to EVER use that stuff again but this means having loose as hell dentures until my mouth heals enough that I can get the implants done. OMG I am still shaking it was so terrifying. Seriously that crap is dangerous and apparently when you think it's gone it's not it just collects in your mouth.

Responses

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

5 years ago

Hi Lily
My surgeon told me not to use any of the stuff till my gums are totally closed up. If they put the implants in under the gums already the fixodent can cause problems with implants healing.
If the gums are closed use the FIXODENT POWDER . You can use as much or as little as you need. but trust me it won't build up like the paste does. try it I use the power with my bottoms because I should have gotten more implants.

I Had 23 teeth pulled in April and my implants uncovered in July. I should have gotten more implants then just 2 on top and 2 on bottom.
Also a side note
I am certified Nursing Assistant and we were told never use reg toothpaste on dentures. It will scratch them and easy for them to stain. My dentist told me to use dawn dish soap or any other dish soap to clean them before putting them in the polident to soak over night. Wash the soap off real good. I scrub them A LOT LOL. My husband said I am now OCD about keeping them clean. And it really does get the dentures white after I brush them with the denture brush and dawn dish soap. They are nice and white. Although I opted for the really white color and they look great.
Also you can fill the sink with water when you are cleaning them so if they slip out of your hand and they fall in the sink they won't break they should float in the water.
I really hope this all helps.

Dawn

10 Messages

• 

256 Points

5 years ago

My dentist told me to use toothpaste and a soft tooth brush keep in mind these are temps and they think within a few months I can go for implants so these are very temporary. I also use polident to soak them over night then brush them gently with a brush in the morning. As for the powder they aren't a close fit at all, they are really crappy and terrible dentures. I'm seriously hating EVERYONE who told me this would be "better" they are all liars right now. Not you but the people talking me into it.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Seabond