susie_5032d2's profile

10 Messages

• 

612 Points

Tue, Dec 20, 2016 5:49 AM

Does anyone EVER get used to wearing dentures?

It's Day 4 post surgery: removing my remaining 12 teeth and inserting the temporary upper & lower dentures.
My question is: Does anyone EVER get used to this?
The feeling that my mouth is so full of plastic; I feel like I want to gag all the time.
I'm feeling really depressed when, prior to surgery, I thought I'd be so happy to be able to smile again.
I know it's very early days for me but it feels like I'll never feel 'normal' again.
I've just found this forum, and I'm hoping that someone whose been through this can reassure me that these foreign objects will eventually feel, if not a part of me, then at least a minimal hindrance.
Thanks to anyone in advance who takes the time to respond to this post.

Responses

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 y ago

Probably not..I lost all my teeth at 19 from taken the medication Dilantin for my seizures and all that did was make me have more seizures which I almost died from and make me lose my teeth. I went up until 10 months ago without teeth so about 9 1/2 years without teeth. I got so use to eating and talking without teeth that now when I try to put in the dentures they hurt my jaw because it feels like the teeth are too long and the bottom one's hurt to keep in. The top one's make me gag I've went back many times to have them adjusted to the point I just gave up with them all together. I am 28 now and well I don't really care anymore that I don't have teeth none of my friends judge me for it some of them even are jealous that I don't have to deal with cavities or any of that tooth pain. My jaw just got stronger over the years so I can eat steak,ribs though I can not eat corn on the cob or fruits that are whole that's why they make canned ones. Sure for years my confidence was lowered by not having teeth but now I'm at a point in my life that I am very confident even without them teeth are just there to look pretty for the most part. They help you eat but if you go as long as I have without them you'll find your way. 

2 Messages

• 

72 Points

2 y ago

I have a full upper denture which i have had nearly a year ago,  still feels uncomfortable and gets me down most days .i take it out on night then its been out ten minutes I want to put back in .This is the worst thing ever to wear,It feels like i have a chuck of bubble gum stuck in my mouth.i think you have tolerate itI dont think I`ll ever get use to it. 

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

jackie Howard
You  should return to your dentist for another adjustment
Perhaps they are too long or too thick?

You deserve to be more comfortable
It is a quality of life issue
Good luck
Barbara

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jess and Jackie
If there is anyway you can afford yur upper denture  being secured by implants that would be a way for you to feel comfortable
If you had an over denture which is also known as a clip on denture then you would probably feel comfortable
It is possible that they could use your current denture
and retr fit it for the implants??

With an over denture you would not have the plastic  pallet that gags you

I would go  back to my dentist and discuss it with him or her

I would go to a few dentists that  advertise free consultations and ask them about it also

I would read all  about implants on some of these blogs and on the internet
Read  everything  about implants.   

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I have had my upper dentures in one month while happy with the results I had teeth out before my dentures giving time to heal , I can eat but will never be the same how can it with a lump of plastic in your head implants too invasive and way too expensive for me end of story the journey continues I’m still alive taking steps to try and save secure my bottom teeth as heard they are even worse to get used to

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

You need to allow more time for your mouth to get used to the upper dentures. I was in exactly the same position as you last year and it took around three months for the uppers to feel like they really belonged to me and to stop feeling like a lump of plastic. You are right about the lowers - mine fit perfectly without adhesive but, if I need to eat on my own, I take them out, and if I have to eat in company I stick them in to keep them secure and eat carefully!

I would be really interested to see how you get on. At the one month stage, my uppers felt like a lump of plastic in my head but by two months, that feeling had eased considerably and, as I say, by the end of the third month, I had forgotten that they weren't my natural teeth!  It's surprising just how much the mouth adjusts.    Good luck.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Hi  jane labrash
Hope it gets better
Yes keep us in  the loop so we know how you are doing
Yes bottoms are more of a problem
Read this entire page and see if anything fits for you
Good Luck
Barbara

32 Messages

• 

656 Points

2 y ago

Hi Rhonda,

I'm a little over three weeks and am having implant supported permanent overdentures both upper and lowers in 2 to 3 months. Im in sales so the speech part was difficult but everytime I feel a little down about it and believe me it's not a lot because I'm not wired that way I think back how miserable I felt and looked and that this temporary situation keyword temporary is going to be worth it. I'm fortunate my temps came out okay but as my gums shrink I have learned that a good adhesive gets me through the day. Although I have never had dialogue with her Barbara G 's post are terrific and informative. You're past the toughest part be nice but firm with your dentist and do what I did post a picture we are always far more critical of ourselves good luck and congratulations.

12 Messages

• 

194 Points

Gary, how great you are doing!  I just feel like I am stuck and need a denture coach! Haha, I really do!  I see the dentist Tuesday and each time he is very helpful and says not to get frustrated, we will keep tweaking it till it's right.  I am 10 days in and believe me you wouldn't want to sound like I do being in sales.  Eating is the pits.  I use the glue and it just doesn't stay but maybe I am doing something wrong.  I will let you know what the dentist says Tuesday.  I cannot find my paperwork they gave me for the life of me so I will also ask if I can get a copy of it so I can say exactly what it was they are doing but as far as I know these dentures will be used for my mini implants.  I paid for the sedation, teeth removal and the dentures and care and then in January will pay for the implants.  I guess I could do so well I change my mind and stick with what I got but really, I doubt that.  I may not be too good at this but I can't tell you have dentures at all.  A great, winning smile. Sale-worthy!  Everyone, have a great Labor Day!!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

To  Rhonda Oxford McDowell

Tuesday   find out what the plan is going forward?

Find out what type  of denture your dentist is planning?

Are the implants regular or Mini and how much are they?
Is this your permanent denture???

12 Messages

• 

194 Points

Barbara G:  I have searched for my paperwork and can't find it so tomorrow I am going to ask for a copy but I do know that the implants are mini and he will use the dentures I have now.  As for the cost around 12000 I believe but that was for the sedation as well as extractions and dentures. Not for the implants to be done in January.  Thanks, Barbara!

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Hi Rhonda
I am not an expert on mini implants but  have some concerns about their being used for clip on or for over dentures

I would not at this point discuss this with you dentist because you have paid for the work you have completed  so far and that is what you want him to work on with you\

But once you are more comfortable with your present dentures you can think about the implants and what he is charging you for the minis compared  to what regular
 implants cost etc  

You said nothing will be done on implants until January of 2020 so there is plenty of time to think about  that issue 

12 Messages

• 

194 Points

Barbara G and Gary, and anyone else. Haha!  Well, it is almost 2 weeks, and I am doing much better.  Not all well but headed there.  I went to the dentist yesterday and he shaved off some more to the back of the tops and I am not longer gagging.  Great improvement.  The suggestion someone said to eat on both sides of your mouth was a good one.  The dentist told me this, too, but I misunderstood him and thought he meant to take turns from one side to the next, not at the same time. This has helped greatly, so thanks! I never did find my paperwork, I am sure I will someday but asked for a copy and here is what I had and paid for:  Sedation Dentistry, Upper and Lower extractions and immediate dentures $9343, that is phase 1 which is done and I can come back whenever I feel I need the dentures looked at, as I had been coming in every day or so for the sore spots.  Now none so yay for my team.  Phase. 2 is 6 upper mini implants $6366 and 4 lower mini-implants $4244, after 6 months healing period. Sorry to be so unsure, I just didn't know all the terms, I am learning now. So eating better, I still feel like they are too big but was told by the technicians that before we do the implants if I still feel this way they can be sent back for a checking. Anyway, thanks guys for your invaluable input. I know this is not done and I will be checking often in case there is something I can answer as well.

17 Messages

• 

300 Points

5 m ago

Be patient it will take 2-4 weeks for your gums to heal and the swelling to go down. Keep the dentures in day and night for the first few weeks. your gums will shape themselves to the dentures. If you take them out for more than 2-4 hours it will be agony for you for a long time to come. Later, in a couple of months, you can take them out at night, but you may like them better in especially if you have a honey. - Have a shot of your favorite rum, vodka, tequila, gargle and swish around, then swallow if you like. It cleans, kills germs, numbs, and probably puts a smile on your face after.

Stay strong. In a couple of months you will be all smiles, showing off those pearly whites.

2 Messages

• 

116 Points

I found my problem and had to have bone grafts. That is why I was having such problems with the dentures. I decided to go with implants and I love them! Your dentist makes a big difference too. I had a horrible dentist and he didn't have a clue. Just filing my dentures down to nothing. I  went to 3 different ones and they all said the same thing. Bone grafts were needed. I love my implants.

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

3 d ago

Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a little more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Kudos!| Refrigerator Repair