Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

Mon, Jul 11, 2016 2:49 AM

Does anyone else think their dentures are to big?

I had 23 teeth extracted Thursday and now my denture makes me look like I belong on a Simpsons show anyone else have this problem?

Responses

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

4 years ago

Mine were big and all red right after my extractions.  Still feels bulky and I have been on the boards now ever since I made the decision to do this (I found out I have a Grandbaby on the way and couldn't have shame smiling when I have waited my whole adult life to be even just a smidge like the Grandma I had to my Grandchild).

I have read time and time again about  a lot of people thinking theirs were made wrong, they are too big, teeth too big, etc.  It's very common, especially right out of the starting gate. It's a very common concern.  There are some that are made poorly and people do get them, but I think really everyone wants to think that initially when it's really just their mouth, face, muscles adjusting to everything that just happened to them. 

I also watched a lot of youtube videos.  A lady named Beach Chick posted my favorite set of them and there is also a younger gal named Kalinjax who a lot of people enjoy. 

It may be useful to look things up on youtube, if you don't object to going there, there is an abundance of videos for people exactly where we are.  Some even post from the dental chair after their extractions and put a video up every single say as they heal. Very helpful as far as getting a picture of what you may also experience yourself.

They are going to feel big and like they don't belong in there, because they really don't at first and you have to retrain your muscle memory.  Aesthetically I would imagine anything can be fixed, but you are the only one who can retrain your muscles and that's only done by wearing them.

Others will post and I would think a fair amount of them thought their were big too, but eventually end up very pleased.  Hang in there.  Things will work out.

1 Message

• 

82 Points

I honestly thought I wrote this comment! Even to the part of the grandchild! It's so cool how much we sound alike!
Today I get my permanent teeth and I'm so excited! 2 months ago my grandson was born.... Now I can finally post pictures of us both together! He looks adorable without teeth, I do not!

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

What a cutie!!!!  I wish they allowed for a bigger picture, going full blown geriatric here with the dentures and now the poor eyes, but even though the picture is small I can see he is just so squeezable!!! 

My permas are a ways off, but when I heard we had a little one on the way I just couldn't even imagine not having my teeth fixed.  When they told me I was so excited & then I instantly thought "I have to get these teeth fixed!"  Right as I was just told the news I had been waiting almost my whole life for I had to shift from that to the mess I had going on in my mouth.  That was the breaking point for me.  And I know a lot of folks aren't happy with going through this, but I am.  Even with these temps, just having teeth back in my head, being able to smile, not constantly worried about keeping those teeth I had removed "under cover" while trying to live life ~ I am so glad all of that is behind me. 

I will be anxious to hear how you feel about your permas, I was reading up on how they can be an adjustment as well. I guess the perma teeth are like shark teeth; super sharp and then getting them fitting correctly and all that jazz, so I'll be super anxious to hear how you feel about them and what you went through.  I hope they look and feel perfect right out of the gate. 

Good Luck today & when you get a chance let us know how it went!  And congrats on the Grandbaby, he's beautiful.

133 Messages

• 

170 Points

Hello Good News i have only one son Kelly Shakeel and he was about going to die after he was diagnosed with Heart cancer and brain problmes, so i was going to Dr and my Dr said he has just three weeks to live, killy is my only son my family and my only best friend, and I couldn't afford to lose him. I started searching for help on-line to make sure my son don’t die, then I found someone name Khan Merriam saying about Dr Sandy, I told him about my problems and he gave me some words of encouragement tell me abut his Herbal medicine that he will do and sent with UPS POST OFFICE WITH MY HOME ADDRESS and he did an sent me herbal medicine and he instructed me on how to go about it, Dr Sandy also said my son will not die that he will be heart cancer free days after using the medicine , I did exactly what he asked me to , now my son that was suppose to live for just two weeks has lived two weeks more and he is very okay , he is fine , just like any other children my son is fine.i was so happy and tell the HERBAL DR about my illness Herpes 2 and ask if he can cure that hes say yes happen again he send me the herbal medicine and use it for 14days too but now me and my son is fine and live a good life, i did not know what to say or do for you papa Srandy all i can do is to tell the word about you and give my life to you pls friends help me thanks him Lesson: Don’t give up in life; 
 HE HAVE CURE FOR THIS ILLNESS. HIV HERPES BODY CANCER HEART CANCER BLOOD CANCER HPV ALS EASY PROBLEM E T C.. 
what ever you are passing through today can be your testimony tomorrow:  Email;  dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com  dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com  OR call Whats App Number +2349031726182 https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
 THANKS  FOR SANDY..... 

32 Messages

• 

642 Points

4 years ago

I agree with Zippity, but if they are falling out of your mouth while you are swelled then they probably ARE too big. I know mine are and they were falling out from two hours after extractions (I am on day 10 post extractions upper denture only). However, know that your gums will shrink and fairly fast at that and the teeth will sit up higher and more inside your mouth versus horse teeth look in case you are having that problem. You may not feel swelled but you are but that will come down over the next week or so, so try not to make any snap judgments but DO go for adjustments if you feel you need them. I had some substantial shrinkage of the gums just in the last 24 hours where now my teeth are sitting in my mouth where they should rather than looking buck toothed and horse-faced. They still don't fit, are too loose and I have a pretty thick layer of Coe Soft on them put there by the denturist. Also, if your dentures are temporaries they may in fact be bulkier and bigger than say permanents because at least in my case my temporaries are the cheapest set they sell and I won't get the pricier, better permanents until some time later (I have no idea when that is but others have said 8 months to a year, no clue). Goodluck! Rest, take your motrin and meds, drink plenty of water too.

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

4 years ago

Congrats! I called to see if I could get in and they are to busy and won't be able to for another month! It is literally depressing to have dentures that won't fit and to go around toothless. I'm trying to stay positive for my kids ( I have 4 ) but I'm on the verge of losing my job because I don't want to be seen in public I work in a office. I also haven't been able to eat anything for 2 days besides applesauce and pudding. I think i have fallen into depression but trying to stay strong for my kids.

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Go and wait at the dentist office to be seen.

174 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

That is unacceptable. Not eating leads to death. Call them back and tell them you have to be seen NOW.
I agree with Irma. Go in and make sure you are taken care of. Sounds like these people are major a##wipes if they think it's acceptable to leave you in that condition. Start keeping a log of everything that is said each time you go in. If you have a smart phone, turn it to record and put it in your pocket before you go into the appointment. Just hit the bathroom and turn it on in there, but I guess you could be playing with it in the waiting room anyway. 
I want to yell at those people for saying you have to wait a month. 
Now if I can just find a way to advocate for myself....

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

4 years ago

A month is what I would consider unacceptable, under your set of circumstances.  Please call them back and explain your situation: you can't wear them and you are about to lose you job.  You need an appointment. 

If you are able, get the nutritional drinks.  Those drinks will keep your body supplied with everything you need and also promote healing. Nutrition is so important right now both mentally and for the healing process. 

Try and get a product called Benzodent, It may not be available locally, but it is available on Amazon and possibly through drugstore site online as well. A local chain grocer carries it here for me.  So you may be able to pick some up the next time you are out.

You have just had this done a few days ago, the fit won't be perfect yet- that does take work through adjustments. So try not to let that get too deep into your head.  We looked completely similar to the picture you posted in the other thread, you may have actually had a little less protruding lip than what I had initially. 

Now I am not saying you don't have a completely faulty denture, because bad molds happen. But anything that has happened with your dentures is able to be fixed, either by adjusting the ones you have or remaking them. 

Don't give up, because things will be able to be righted, you just need to keep pushing a bit to accomplish that,

Call the dentist back & explain everything, they should be able to work you in. 

Is there someone you can call at work and speak to about the fact that you just had this done and you are doing everything you can possibly do to return to the office as quickly as possible?  Your dentist should be able to provide you with a work slip.  You mentioned in the other thread you just had this done Thursday, so to this point you are well within a permissible time off, you may just need a slip to turn into your employer.  The dentist should provide one if you ask.

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Great comment.

174 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

Zip, your comment gives me a glimmer of hope. 

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

4 years ago

I called back and they said they were double booked! They only have one dentist! I know it takes time to get used to and understand that, but all I want is the front adjusted back so I can be able to talk. I have been drinking protein shakes and stuff to keep my nutrients up. I also called my work and they are working with me for now. I know a few people the love the immediate dentures and don't have this problem with them being to big or having an over bite that bad. I'm thinking I did get a faulty denture and if they would make the adjustments or new ones I would be fine

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

4 years ago

Whoo whoo! I think my prayers have been answered I get in to aw the dentist in a couple of hours! Prayers they will be able to fix them

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I'm so happy for you

11 Messages

• 

246 Points

Yes, I do. I’m devastated every time I look in the mirror. I look and talk like Mr. Ed the talking horse. I had three perfect front upper teeth and the dentist convinced me to pull them so he can make upper dentures. He said they would be beautiful. Biggest mistake I made in my life. They are pretty, but toooo big. When I speak, people look directly at my mouth cause I talk funny and looks like I have a big bump under my nose. I hate it. I look still pretty young, so it’s embarrassing. Now my face is falling and wrinkles are coming in because bone loss is going going gone. My cheeks are drooping. My life is over. I don’t know who can fix it.
Some school kids make fun at me when I’m eating at a restaurant. It’s horrible. I feel very sad.

1.5K Messages

• 

25.3K Points

Hi Betty. I'm sorry to hear this. Is it an Immediate Complete upper and have you had the Hard Reline done to it?

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

4 years ago

very glad to hear and fingers crossed all goes well!
Let us know when you get back :)

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

4 years ago

I went and the dentist wasn't so nice but his assistant was very helpful, the took a lot of the top down and made it less bubbly?!!. I have a very sore spot on my left side that is preventing me to wear them, she said it was a blood clot?! I never hear of that, I always though blood clots were bad?

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Good in your gums. Don't get a dry socket. No swishing!!!

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

4 years ago

Sore here as well outer side of left and right nostril, but underneath the lips on the gum. 

Sounds like you made progress today.

Each extraction, site as it heals forms a clot, the clot is a protective "bubble" from the outer gum to the bone, if the clot detaches, comes out that's what they refer to as dry socket.  I believe that may be the clot they are referencing because your extraction sites are so new/fresh.  I don't actually know that though, but that's what I would think.

When you are at the dentist and they say something to you if you do not understand; ask them for clarity.  You really need to understand what is going on so you can aide/assist, be proactive in your healing process. 

Now I don't know what they told you as far as wearing them, but try and follow your instructions even is there is a bit of discomfort/ it hurts.  I say this not to be sadistic, but because you have been checked today and they have made the adjustments they needed to make based on what they observed. As it stands, that denture should be in your mouth for the hours a day they have told you.  The denture being in is the only way to train your muscles to hold them in place & you do need to train your muscles to accomplish this. I was instructed to wear mine if I wanted to adjust to them.  People who do not wear them/ who fight the process have such a difficult time learning to live with them and achieving a proper/comfortable fit. 

My neighbor fought it right from the start, his dentures have taken residence permanently in a cup, I don't even know if he is keeping them moist.  He cannot wear his teeth.  He went through everything he went through and gave up when they weren't prefect at the start and now he doesn't wear his teeth and can't eat with them. He drives truck so he doesn't deal with the public and I am sure that made it easier for him to move them into the cup.  It really is a shame, he's such a nice guy, but he is stubborn and his stubbornness has really kiboshed everything he was out to achieve when he started this.  

I do hope you won't give up on this, your teeth were just extracted, they worked you into the schedule today, made adjustments that provided relief. You'll likely need a few more as you continue to heal.  If you wear them as instructed, keep up with your rinsing and post extraction instruction you will go from feeling like you are behind the 8 ball to feeling like you are about to sink it.  There is only so much a dental office is capable of doing for us, we have responsibilities too,  If we don't do what we are supposed to do there is no way we can expect/ hold them to the perfection we wanted/expected and have paid for.

When do you go back?  Did they speak to you about Benzodent at all?  Benzodent or orajel may help considerably with the discomfort.  I have also relied heavily on the orajel mouth sore rinse (the alcohol free to protect the extraction sites).  I do my salt water rinses 8 ounces with 1 tsp of salt in the warm water.  Don't swish just move your head around to get the water throughout.  Once the 8 ounces of salt water is gone I then use 10 ml of the medicated mouth sore rinse for 1 minute.  I went a bit overkill going for 10 times a day, but today he told me 5 at this point is enough.  It's really aided in the healing process. 

Hopefully others will see this and offer advice as well, but I think the common denominator in folks who have adjusted to their dentures will be that they followed instruction and wore them, even with a bit of discomfort while they were healing. 

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

4 years ago

He did not tell me about benzodent or any mouth wash, I read it on a previous post I believe it was something you told someone else and I got me some today, and oh lala did it feel good to have a decent taste in my mouth lol! The small things :) I go back in the 28th for an adjustment. Thank you for the info on the blood clot they didn't give me any info on it i guess they assumed that I would already know! I do feel a lot better about this now, I'm not so much down in the dumps anymore, I'm hoping for a beautiful smile and hope I can get it before August 31st my daughter turns 2 and I want to be a smiling mom! Thank you so much for your wisdom!

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Praying no dry sockets for you girl!!!!

34 Messages

• 

546 Points

I am to! :)