Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

51 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Tue, Nov 28, 2017 7:00 PM

Do I have to do adjustments before a soft reline?

I am two weeks into denture life with a full upper after 16 extractions. I’m only 36 with very weak teeth and a small mouth and large teeth apparently. I need them adjusted since they are loose and causing me continuing pain. Do adjustments need done before I can ask for a soft reline? I am also concerned that I haven’t been able to chew anything at all. They shove up into my gums and make the ulcer I have ten times worse. Did anyone else have this sensation when trying to chew? I also don’t have any molars on the bottom from teeth fixed numerous times and ended up bad anyway. Is this why I cannot chew? I always chewed with my bicuspids. Any advice would be appreciated.

Responses

125 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

3 years ago

They will do any adjustments that are necessary .where the ulcer is they will adjust that area too .once theyve done the adjustments they will do the reline right after.
Are you eating soft foods still?

51 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

3 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply. When I called today they told me to use adhesives and I was skeptical because they were extremely loose. Tried the fixodent cream snd it was magical. It still doesn’t seem perfect but I was finally able to chew some pasta when I couldn’t before today. I am eating all soft foods that I could just swallow because chewing wasn’t happening. I go adjustment tomorrow so hopefully getting that done and using adhesive will make this experience even more pleasing. I have to say that the actual extractions made me nervous and the pain was not that bad at all. I ended up just taking 800 mgs of ibuprofen and never had to fill the script for the narcotic so I was getting frustrated that an ulcer was causing me the most pain.

125 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

Yea the ulcers are just sore spots where the dentures rub .Once the dentist has done adjustments it will get better. Ask at the chemist /pharmacy for cream for dental sore spots .Put it on the sore before bed keeping dentures out and itll help heal it up. You may need to do it for couple days.
As for eating im 7 months out on my lowers and 6 months on uppers and i eat without my dentures in , its just so much easier.

51 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

I have been using a mouthwash they gave me at night and doing salt water rinses but I think it won’t work totally unless they adjust the denture. It just keeps rubbing all day long and can’t really heal but I try to keep denture in all day so i can get more acclimated to them. Thanks for the advice with eating. I’m still gun shy with my gums because they aren’t completely healed and I worry about eating without anything over them lol.

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Hi Sarah, I went through the same problem. I had my uppers done on 10/18/2017. I still am struggling with solid harder foods. I was warned it could take months. So I will accept that I have to wait. My dentist did a reline just before Thanksgiving. It was fine in her office but disaster struck at home. I couldn't get them back in the next day. They were too tight and hurt pushing over sores. The soft lining is out (by me) and now I am using secure until I get the energy to get back to my dentist. I sent away for the secure adhesive, on line, Vita cost or Amazon. Amazon is best if you have prime. The secure works great and I was able to eat the large pecans on a pecan pie. Temporary fix but worked.
Good Luck

51 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Hi Pamela! It’s nice to know I’m not alone. The dentist did an adjustment today and told me to use adhesives for awhile longer because he is trying to hold off on doing a reline. Basically, if he did one now, I would need another one in a week. He wants to get to the 4 week mark before doing one. The adhesive does help with keeping the denture from moving all over the place which lessens my pain and I found I can chew a bit with it as well. Good luck to you and I will definitely be looking for the secure item on amazon. I love having prime.

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

My reline was also done after 4 or 5 weeks. I wanted to hold out as long as I could. My dentist put my permanent's in right after. Then in 6 mo. I'll get the major reline. Works great great for getting the most out of Insurance .So I have all this time with my permanent s to get use to what I'll always have.