242 Points

Thu, Jul 13, 2017 1:54 PM

Did anyone else feel depressed after having all their teeth removed

Responses

455 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

3 years ago

yup and its been years and I still get depressed.

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

3 years ago

Mine has only been a month and have my good days and bad days x

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

3 years ago

I kinda had a little bit of depression but for me it was very short. My teeth had hurt so bad and looked so horrible for so long that its been a huge confidence boost for me. Yes I was a little depressed cuz no1 wants to not have teeth but I know my health immediately got better and now I can hold my head high look ppl in the eye and smile proudly. No more shame of ugly teeth. So I've really tried focusing on all the positives of getting dentures. Getting dentures is a traumatic experience its understandable to have a little depression. But just know u have prob made the best decision for yourself.

2 Messages

• 

116 Points

Thanks I needed this

3 Messages

• 

112 Points

I was terrified, horrified at the thought and it actually took me like 10 years to finally get them removed by the way I had no choice anymore. March 2018 got all except top 5 teeth removed and immediately felt relief. I'm now waiting for my final dentures to come in any day now but I still feel anxious because it will be the first time I feel them in my mouth (I wasn't able to get immediate dentures) needless to say I haven't seen many of my friends and family because I feel gross. They tell me they love me and won't even notice but I'm the one having to adjust. Anyway you'll get to a point of acceptance it's small steps at a time I guess.

32 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

3 years ago

I was soooooo happy to see my horrible teeth go! No more abscesses, toothaches, and best of all.... NO MORE hiding my smile!! Plus, I am able to eat things that were very difficult to eat with the teeth that I did have left. Yeah, it kinda sucks not to have real teeth, but my dentures are beautiful and I get so many compliments on them. This has definitely been a huge boost of confidence. It has been 3 weeks today and I have zero regrets!

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Do u have dentures or implants ?

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I’m the same, I’ve had my teeth fully removed yesterday, I can’t eat, the dentures are uncomfortable, and I sound all weird with them in, I can’t believe I let the dentist talk me into this procedure, I’m so so so so sad. :(

5 Messages

• 

142 Points

Mine were removed in October and I still having trouble accepting it. I even have the implant anchored ones but they are still so foreign in my mouth - some days I can hardly get out of bed I'm so sad. It will get better for you but not for a long while - I'm so sorry you're sad but, believe me, you are NOT alone!!

73 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Robyn....Sorry you are still so sad after all this time, but implants! How awesome for you that you are able to have that!

73 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Hey there Richard, its still so new for you and yes it sucks big time! But it does get better! I am almost one month in and everyday things get better and better! If you read through this forum you will see that it does! Take your time with your expectations and stay positive!

208 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

3 years ago

Lots of us have had some adjustment periods mentally.  I had a few weepy moments in the first couple weeks, but they got knocked down by the positives pretty quickly. 

27 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

3 years ago

I am 16 days out from getting my extractions and full immediate dentures. My teeth were all crowns (they thought that would give me my "best chance") due to enamel hypoplasia. The crowns started falling out and then teeth started to hurt and I had no choice. I went with a partial at first and I had it for about a month and I decided that I should just get full dentures because I would have to one day anyway and I didn't have the money to fix the teeth that the partials were connected to.

Long story short...I've had ups and downs from childhood with my teeth and yes I get really depressed every time I take my teeth out to clean them or sleep...BUT I'm not as depressed now since I have a beautiful smile to show off to everyone!!

The MOST depressing thing for me right now is not being able to eat tacos yet!!!! lol

27 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

This is my before and after.

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Ummmm tacos!!!! That was biggest fear not being able to eat tacos. Lol. But I'm about 4 months out and i tackled and succeeded eating tacos a month or so back so u will too soon!!! Lol

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Thanks for sharing before and after!! It's nice to see the transformation...
What shade did you go with?

27 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

A1

70 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

Oh cool... I picked that same color for my uppers... and I read that some people think it is too white..
But your teeth look natural and not too white at all.

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

4 months ago

I've been totally devistated since my full mouth extractions, it's been one year and my appearance was so drastic it made me feel and look 20 yrs. older. I hated my immediate dentures because the top looks fake and the bottom never fit my mouth. I'm now in the process of getting my permanent dentures. I haven't socialized for a year because of my appearance and the depression it's caused me. I can only pray my permanent dentures help me. Thanks for all the post, happy to know I'm not alone

2 Messages

• 

98 Points

I am exactly where you are! I go tomorrow to start the perms process. I worry that if, in 10 months, no one can make my temp bottoms functional, that they won't be able to do any better with my perms!

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

I'm trying to stay positive but that's in my mind too. I will be very upset if my permanent dentures don't fit or they look like I bought them online. I told the dentist that I was embarrassed to even go out in public from the immediate dentures, she was shocked I said that but it's true. I will be looking into a refund if I run into the same problems with the permanent dentures. Good luck Beverly

11 Messages

• 

246 Points

4 months ago

Your not alone. Dentist talked me into removing all my top teeth, ( I had a few good ones) and I’m still devastated . Like you I never wanted to go out especially eating out. People would stare at me eating. When I talked, people right away would stare at my mouth because the top denture was so big, I looked like “mister Ed the talking horse”. I hate them. I’m taking care of my bottom teeth like gold. My gums seems like their peeling skin so often. Now I feel like a snake shedding its skin . Nightmare. Hope your dentures feels good and fits right. God Bless and good luck. .

3 Messages

• 

84 Points

Thank you Betty. I've never been able to eat with my immediate dentures and going out to eat is an not even a thought, I guess those days are over. I certainly wasn't prepared emotionally to have my teeth pulled. I had so much cosmetic work done on my teeth 25 yrs ago that I spent enough money to have had full mouth implants today but my dentist failed to tell me crowns and the veeneers needed to be replaced over time. I was under the impression it would last a life time. I had 1 tooth break off from a veeneer and a cracked bridge is the reason I thought I might as well just pulled all and get my dentures now, so that's where I'm at. I go Friday for my wax tryins and I think it's takes about two weeks to get my permanent dentures. I hope and pray it's life changing for the better. Good luck to you and God Bless.

61 Messages

• 

716 Points

4 months ago

I do miss my old teeth too, but they were so bad that they had to go. I miss eating normal foods without a problem. Can't do so much with dentures. I'm already facing one frustration. My denture teeth are chipping and I haven't had it even a month. Dentist said they look fine, but they don't. Looks like the teeth shrank and the enamel (if that's what you call it) on the dentures are shaving off. I used the denture brush, but since that happened, just use a towel and clean it with tap like they said to. Even got a bacteria egg machine to help with the bacteria called (smile direct club smile spa from walmart). Still have days where it makes me cry that i wear dentures now. Not necessarily the smile from the dentures. I don't usually smile anyway.