Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

6 Messages

• 

534 Points

Fri, Apr 4, 2014 6:38 PM

Dentures in immediately after teeth pulled vs wait for gums to heal???

All of the dentists I've spoken to want to put the dental plates in as soon as the teeth are pulled, but is it better to wait?? Have to have this done in the immediate future and very scared. Also am very skinny, really concerned about more weight loss due to not being able to eat!

Responses

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

6 years ago

Well Marilyn, .... the ''temporary'' dentures will also act as a bandage for your gums after the extractions too, you may have stitches on your gums ... plus, you won't be ''TOOTHLESS'' for months either.. It does take several months for your gums to ''shrink'' & heal completely... You'll have a great smile too!..So, I say, Get them IMMEDIATELY.. . Yep, you'll be on ''soft foods'' for a few weeks, approx. 3 weeks, depending on how well you're adapting... Eat soft foods like mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, mashed peas, oatmeal, pudding, smoothies, pancakes, etc.. You'll experiment with ''chewing'' as the gums shrink and heal.. but some are already chewing in as short as 2 weeks or less...Your harder foods will need to be cut into smaller bites as you learn how to ''chew'' and you'll be eating slower as well... It's a process, but we've all come out of this BETTER THAN BEFORE ... No more toothaches, loose teeth or pain... It does get better EVERYDAY...

I think you'll be fine, keep updating on your progress once you begin.. We're all here to help you thru this process ... GOOD LUCK Marilyn...

6 Messages

• 

534 Points

Write a comment...Thank you Dee..I'm in tears about this, I am a union actress and of course that has a lot to do with my depression. Naturally I'll have to drop out of auditions and work for quite a while as I learn to speak. Also frustrated in knowing who to go to, my dentist says has done about 45, seems to me my complex condition requires much more experience. I really appreciate your uplifting input!

6 Messages

• 

534 Points

I still don't know how I'm going to get through this, thanks for your help...

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Marilyn .... Oh, don't cry...Believe me, you will be back in ''auditions'' very quickly...I had 14 teeth extracted & bone grafts with LOTS of disolving stitches done at once with just novocaine...temporary dentures right away..(All done by the ''Periodontist'') .On day 2, I saw my regular Dentist for a check up... Day 3, I was at the ''hairdressers'' and speaking NORMAL..I had no swelling and just a couple of ''raspberries'' on my chin, that were gone by day 4...Day 5, I had a meeting and NO ONE knew a thing! Well, I will guess your dentist won't be doing all this ''work'', there should be an ''oral surgeon or periodontist'' doing the ''extractions''...Your ''General Dentist'' will be the most important person to you for the next month or so, to help you with any sore spots or discomfort... But otherwise, You'll be able to go to auditions very quickly... Don't get depressed over this, it's part of ''Life'' and obviously you've been suffering with bad teeth for quite a while to get to this point ... Actually, you'll have a ''BEAUTIFUL SMILE'' and IMHO, lots of compliments on your Teeth too... Dentures nowadays look very NATURAL.. and no one knows the difference until you tell them... So, BE HAPPY just knowing you won't be in any pain, have loose teeth, and your teeth will be the color you'll love ''Audition White'' !!

Keep the updates coming Marilyn . I KNOW you're going to get thru this, like all of us have here... and no one whose had this done has regretted it... It just gets better, day by day...Keep the FAITH... If you don't do this now, you will have to eventually... so, as I say, ''Cowgirl Up''... It will be over before you know it! For me, it's been almost a year (April 8th) and NO REGRETS ...

1 Message

• 

62 Points

It's been almost 2 weeks and I think I had at least 2 abscesses, so my preference was to wait until 2 weeks after extractions for the plate. Also I had dental bone grafts put in due to help avoid sinus infections since my roots from my upper teeth were in my sinus cavity lining. the dentist seem to agree with me

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I'm in the 6th day of having 15 teeth pulled! And I'm not gonna sugar coat it..it's miserable at the time and everybody says it will get better..I wore my new dentures for about 5 hours after extractions.. until the numbness wore off,then was very uncomfortable ..painful is more the word.I am eating a lot mashed potatoes,avacados, tomato soup, jello,ice cream and pudding..Its definitely a life change! My dentures are to be adjusted on Thursday a little scared because I'm still all swollen..hopefully it will soon all be over and I'll have my smile back:)

6 Messages

• 

540 Points

6 years ago

I got the immediate dentures. I think it was better that way because I was forced to get used to having them in my mouth to right away. It is scary but you will get through it.. 45 is a lot but if you are unsure check around to see what's available in your area. The FEAR of what's to come is worse than what is to come. Think of it as getting into character for the role of your life. The healing takes time but you will be happy in the end. I recommend being put out for procedure.

6 Messages

• 

534 Points

Thanks amii..new concerns I just posted on another topic page include extreme bone loss, been told I'll need bone grafts, sinus lifts, tissue transplants (otherwise dentures won't work)...adding much time and of course money. Like the getting-in-character idea..and of course the being put out for the procedures!

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Marilyn ... I also had bone loss and had to have ''bone grafts''... it's all done at the same time as extractions .. I also had to have a ''membrane'' sutured in after I got a sinus infection 10 months after my extractions, on March 10th, 2014 ... I'd guess, so are the tissue transplants and sinus lift... What does your dentist tell you about this procedure? I think it would be very ''odd'' for the Dentist to do this over several sessions, when I know I had bone grafts done the same day... The ''Bone Grafts'' are to build up your jaw bone so dentures can be worn... Keep updating too... We're here to help...GOOD LUCK Marilyn!

6 Messages

• 

534 Points

I am so complicated...dealing with perio plus dentist, would have to have a double-implant removed by the peridontist (dentist says wouldn't know how), then a bone graft at the time of the implant extraction.

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Marilyn, my dentist doesn't do extractions either ... she calls in the Expert.. the Periodontist or Oral Surgeon...You'll be dealing with your 'Periodontist'' for extractions and bone grafts... and probably all the others you mentioned...Your ''dentist'' will deal with the dentures and gum health primarily...and they do ''work together'' often.. After I had my gum surgery in March, the Perio called me at home for 2 days, then I saw my dentist for follow up... and if there were anything more to do, the Periodontist left notes for my dentist on my chart... So far, I cannot complain.. I feel I'm in ''good hands'' with both my Perio and Dentist ...I've seen my dentist twice since March 10, and I'll see the Perio on April 14th...to remove stitches from the bacterial infection that got into my sinuses.. which is RARE, so don't be alarmed... a little set back, but nothing to write home about...

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

How is it going now?

3 Messages

• 

280 Points

6 years ago

My regular Dentist pulled 17 teeth for me, with just local numbing. I did the upper first, went back two weeks later and had the bottoms pulled. Then I saw a different Dentist who was specialized in Dentures. I did get the Immediate Dentures, so I could wear them immediately, however, I would of gotten a better fit on my Dentures, if I had waited to get the Dentures after ALL l my teeth were pulled. It is now 3 years later, and my Dentures are way to big for me, so now I need a new set. Looking back, I probably would done the same thing. The only problem I had, was my gums were VERY sore, and I could not tolerate the Denture Dentist pressing on my Dentures, to get them fit my raw gums. I just about came unglued in the chair!!! So I just wore the upper dentures, and waited for 2 weeks so my gums would heal, then I went back to have the upper and bottom dentures adjusted to fit me better. No one notice I only had upper teeth either, when I shop for groceries. I drank most of my food, for the 2 weeks, then could eat a soft scramble egg. It took a good month, before I could eat regular food, however I am still unable to eat nuts, and I really miss them. Sometimes I can chew a peacon, but I love Spanish peanuts.

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I would never wait until you heel I had mine put in immediately and then redone later you don't want to walk around with no teeth try and save what you can and get a parcel that will make you look more natural i don't look the same any more they can never duplicate your own teeth

4 Messages

• 

122 Points

I had immediate denture and now when i smile I have a very gummy smile, and my teeth barely show.  When I ask about this the dentist is very vague.  has anyone else experienced this. I look far worse now than i did with my partial, and a few missing teeth.  They can not thin down the denture anymore when the shrinking is gone will my smile show teeth instead of gums?

271 Messages

• 

6.2K Points

If your dentures aren't fitting any longer, keep in mind that your dentures rest on gum tissue and your jawbone, which deteriorate and shrink over time. If your dentures used to fit well but now feel loose, visit your dentist. It might be time for an adjustment or a new set of replacement dentures. 

1 Message

• 

60 Points

hi. ive just had my last 3 teeth taken out today so i now got no top teeth whatsoever, my dentist said it will take 3 months for my gums to heal then he can do impressions ready for new dentures..... is this right ??? im horrified that i got to hibernate till then

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Whatever your Dentist has suggested, I'd do, unless you're unhappy... Did your dentist advise you of this in the beginning?  I did NOT run around with NO teeth.. I had 10 Upper's extracted at once with ''Temporary Dentures'' immediately...My dentures worked as a ''patch'', due to bone grafting & stitches.... 

Do the best you can in the interim...Most people will understand that you'll be getting ''Teeth'' in the near future ...Good Luck... Keep updating us...

1 Message

• 

620 Points

5 years ago

After reading some of these remarks I am glad that I have decided to let my gums heal before getting my dentures. I do not have thousands of dollars to get new ones a few years down the road. I may look ugly now but I think it will be worth it.

1 Message

• 

82 Points

I had all my teeth removed today and my dentist suggested I wait to heal before I get fitted stated she made some quick before for a wedding and the patient wasn't happy and neither was the Dentist. So I'm going to hibernate and wait for complete healing.

1 Message

• 

122 Points

I had full mouth extractions and at the Doc's recommendation, am waiting 6 weeks for gums and bone to heal. I am glad he urged me to do so. As time has progressed, the bones on mostly the lower have REALLY shifted and bone will poke out and then just seem to go back or away. I am not sure if the WHY is relevant in full mouth extractions but mine were badly broken to the gum or fractured so badly they could not be saved. 10 years of domestic violence & punches to the face will do that. I was reluctant to say why but any competent dentist apparently can tell. The treatment plan is full dentures but he absolutely said NO to any type of immediate dentures being in my best interest. It has been more painful to my pride than anything! Hope this info helps!!

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Getting a denture before 6 mths to a yr of healing is considered an immediate no matter what they "call it".
SuzySunshine72- hope you are in a better place in your life now.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I had all of my top teeth pulled on February 16 immediate dentures put in ,will wear these for six months while my gums are healing and then I go back and get permenant top dentures for 395 my temporary top dentures cost 185 . I live in Texas and I go to a dentist in Bastrop Texas call bash drop dental implants and are very nice and very affordable I know several people that I have been here in the past recommend it highly.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

So lucky! My total implant denture procedure is $40,000 after insurance pays and we have a good insurance plan!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

5 years ago

My husband had his remaining 9 teeth removed Tuesday and his mouth is VERY sore.  He opted to wait until his gums have completely healed to get his dentures.  I wanted him to get the "immediate dentures" but dentist said they would need to be relined at 4-6 months and we don't have $900 to do that.

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

What I have found is that when you have 'immediate dentures'' the dentist usually does ''soft relines'' for the first month or so, at no charge, often as needed past this time.. This is because your gums are shrinking rapidly and often are loose within a few days after a soft reline, unless you use an ''adhesive'' till the next soft reline... I've had my ''permanent dentures'' now for over a year & have only had ONE ''Hard Reline'', which was about 10 months after I got the permanent one (at 10 months after extractions!)... My cost was $100.00 and the ''hard relines'' requires another ''fitting'' then your dentures to go to the LAB for curing, which is usually 1 day...However, due to the material my dentures are made of, it was 2 days later when I could pick up my denture...

Your Husbands soreness should subside soon, he can rinse with warm salt water, which will reduce swelling...along with any ''medicated mouth wash'' he was prescribed...He should have been given antibiotics too..  Good Luck to your Husband, keep us posted... We're here to help you & him through this ''Journey''

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

I was fortunate enough to be able to get soft relines whenever I felt I needed one. They never questioned me at all! I THINK I had 5 in the first two weeks.

I'm a little nervous because I got my permanent dentures at 6 months, so I'm hoping that I won't need any relines for awhile!

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

It should be about or around the 1 year mark for a ''hard reline''... You'll be ok for quite a while...

10 Messages

• 

132 Points

No matter how much they adjust these denture or do a soft like they just keep making more and more sores on my mouth to the point it's unbearable to wear. Is it possible they just made a terrible pair of Temps

10 Messages

• 

132 Points

My gums are raw and swollen and I've only wore them maybe 5 hours within 3 weeks

1 Message

• 

400 Points

5 years ago

I had 19 teeth extracted two weeks ago. I had a temporary plate put in immediately.This consisted of 6 upper teeth. I live alone and I have tried to do both;keeping my plate in and taking my plate out. I leave them in for a while. At night I do not sleep with plate in. Even with the temporary plate, I have more confidence. This is a big change in my life. I love a beautiful smile. I like to laugh and feel so much better about myself!

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

So glad to hear this! I have been procrastinating, now to the point that i am in severe pain with teeth that need to,come out! I have been very apprehensive about the whole idea of dentures though; I'm afraid it will change my appearance and/or tgat I won't be able to stand the things?!

1 Message

• 

64 Points

Glenda me too! I just turned 37 and have needed all mine pulled for a while.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

I am 40 and just had all my bottom pulled.

3 Messages

• 

126 Points

still very sad to have it done but the good thing is modern Medical improve so much similar to the look of the dentures also it's a process.

1 Message

• 

140 Points

After having multiple rounds of chemo and radiation my teeth are cracking and look awful. Ive finally gained the courage to go to a dentist. I know they will pull all my teeth and reading these comments have helped. I can't go weeks without teeth so I'm hoping for immediate dentures. Looking forward to a great smile and a happy 2018

5 Messages

• 

480 Points

5 years ago

Marla
less than 2 days ago I had 18 teeth (all) pulled at one time.       I had gotten my dentures made ahead of time so immediately after the extractions I went straight to the denturist and had my dentures put in.      Had to keep them in for 24 hours then could take them out to clean them.
Was prescribed pain meds which was needed for the 1st day.
I take the dentures out for an hour every 6-8 hours to clean and give my mouth a good salt water rinse.   Also rinse with cold salt water while dentures in.    Is a bit painful taking them in and out because of swelling but is not as bad as I expected.
I am drinking Boost and eating things like apple sauce and yogurt.        
in a few days I go back to denturist to have adjustments made.     A little worried about this as is painful putting them in and out but they need adjusting the alleviate some of the pain as the dentures poke in places.  
Things have gone easier than I expected.   After under 2 days the pain is not too bad.
One thing is getting used to talking with the dentures in as i am having trouble forming certain letters.     Feels like I have a mouth full of marbles.   drinking cold boost has really helped and rinsing with cold salt water every few hours has helped in the healing process.    I keep salt water in fridge so it is nice and cold so it helps with swelling and feels good on my gums when rinsing.
I think the worst part is taking the dentures in and out when gums are so sore and sensitive but I am surprised how quickly they are healing and feeling better and less painful.       Have a trip booked in a weeks time so hoping the healing continues as well as it has been.    Going to take boost along for my meals.   I think the vitamins in the boost help me with the healing as well.     I am so glad I did it all at once and got the dentures immediately.    The dentures serve as a sort of bandage for the gums as well which I think helpos in healing process.

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Marlane.... Keep doing what you're doing...You're doing GREAT!!  You sound like you will figure it out how to adjust to dentures...It's a process & a Journey well worth it..... In a few weeks, you'll be eating 'harder foods'', learning how to Chew will be different too,... smaller bites & chewing more thoroughly....Continue rinsing after each meal.. I still do this after almost 3 yrs. with my permanent dentures... It's very important to keep your mouth as clean as you can... Once the gum swelling has subsided, your dentures will be less painful... however your ''gums'' are still shaping themselves to the denture for quite some time.. When you go on your trip, bring some adhesive with you, just in case the dentures feel ''too loose''...that's normal as your gums shrink hourly !!  You'll soon be getting ''soft relines'' as your gums shrink...All the ''tooth sockets'' are exposed, so wearing your dentures is very helpful in the first few weeks... eventually all the sockets will close up and become smooth...

Drinking ''Boost'' is good to keep up your nutritional needs...Soft foods for 2-3 weeks may get boring, but there's a lot that you can eat... Mashed potatoes & gravy, oatmeal, mashed peas, pudding etc.. When I started on harder food, I started with Farmer John Sausage links...around 3 weeks.By my 5th week, I was eating a Steak (small bites) on my Birthday...  So, each day get's better ... 

Keep Updating & ''Smiling''!

5 Messages

• 

480 Points

Thanks for the reply Dee.       Yes there is a lot to eat that is soft.      The boost has done me well as I do not feel hungry at all when drinking it and I am getting my vitamins and protein as well so not sacrificing health.      Wow 3 weeks and you were eating sausage?   Yup have to admit I am craving and missing my meat.      lol   But yes that will come in time.       I tell my son when he is cooking and eating his meals to stay away from me for a few weeks.   He says he is going to take me out for a good meal once I can chew more solids so is something to look forward to.      All in all things seem to be going well.      I did not HAVE TO get my teeth pulled now but I have MS and at the moment I am in good health.   I knew I would need dentures within the next 5-10 yrs and I wanted to get them done while my health was good enough to deal with it all so I chose to just go for it.   I am so glad I did even though not totally healed yet.       One less thing I need to worry about if my health takes a turn.      Also no more dental appoinytments which is music to my ears.  lol

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Don't forget about smoothies! They have some made by Dole that are in the freezer section near the juice. They are yogurt based and even have some with veggies. They recommend mixing with OJ but experiment. If you have open sockets, avoid anything with seeds!

Good luck!

5 Messages

• 

480 Points

thanks Alicia.
I am finding cold things like cold salt water and cold fruit pudding etc feel really good on the gums and I think it helps with the swelling as well.     Smoothies are great as well.       My friends thought I would die of hunger since I can not chew but There is so much to enjoy that is not solid foods and they all taste great as well.      

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

Marlane,
If the h stands for Harris, you'll find a way to eat!
You can crumble sausage up very fine in some gravy. Sloppy joes, hamburger helper, etc will give you some meat. Stick to soft foods where chewing is optional, and you will do fine

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

5 years ago

Hello i am new to this message board and am looking for info. I am going thrusday to have all my teeth removed however i will have to wait till i am healed to have dentrues put in. Can anyone tell me what to expect with pain and healing?

181 Messages

• 

5.7K Points

Hi Cindy ..... I had my teeth pulled a couple yrs. ago, but had IMMEDIATE TEMPORARY dentures put in the same day... It takes a while for your ''gums'' to shrink tho.. approx. 2-4 months or more... So, in the interim, you'll be eating SOFT foods initially...mashed potatoes, smashed peas & other cooked veggies, pudding, oatmeal, ice cream, mac & cheese.... As far as pain goes, the first few days your gums may or may not be swollen, however rinse with warm Salt Water after every meal...The Dentist should prescribe ''antibiotics''  for infection, Pain pills and special mouth wash too... I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing your dentist within a week, to check for ''bone chips'', working their way out thru your gums...IF you have any ''stitches'', they will dissolve within a week or so...BUT, don't be ''Uncomfortable'' while you're healing... any problems, get back to your dentist ASAP! 

BTW, the day of ''Extractions'', eat a GOOD BREAKFAST or lunch.... Breath thru your nose while the periodontist is pulling your teeth and most of all RELAX... You should be ''numb'' from the novocaine unless you're put to sleep, so you won't feel much during that process.... You may have some bruising & jaw soreness, so keep an ice pack or a package of ''FROZEN PEAS'' to apply to your face., as necessary

Good Luck Cindy.... Keep us posted .. We're here to help you thru this ''Journey''...  Keeping you in my prayers on Thursday!  :)  :)   "Dee'' 

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

Thank you for getting back to me and the info i am being put to sleep for my teeth to be removed so no food or drinks 8 hours before :(

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

Best of luck to you tomorrow Cindy. We all understand your anxiety. We've all been there. Liquid meals and seedless fruit smoothies and mashed potatoes will be your friend. Be sure to check back in to let us know you came through it well. There are also a couple of other threads that talk about what to expect for the next few weeks.

Here's one to get you started: https://getsatisfaction.com/dentureliving/topics/just-looking-for-some-advice-from-those-who-have-be...

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

Hi! I am having my front four upper teeth pulled in a couple of weeks and an immediate upper partial put in. I am scared and excited. But my question is this: I have buck teeth. I am extremely concerned about what my mouth will look like after teeth are pulled. Does anyone have any experience with this??

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

Hi Cindie and welcome!! I guess the real question here is what do you want them to look like? I think the denturist will likely give your denture a more vertical profile. Josie might be able to help you out better as she works for a denturist. Also, since you have time, talk to your dentist and ask for a preview. I did not have that option and in hindsight wish I had. Let us know how you make out.

2 Messages

• 

170 Points

4 years ago

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I had my four front teeth pulled and an immediate upper partial placed. I have had no pain and very very little discomfort. They fit great and look great. I may have gotten the color a bit too white but I will either get the immediate adjoining teeth whitened or I will adjust the color when I get my permanents. Not a bad experience at all! #smiling

271 Messages

• 

6.2K Points

4 years ago

Cindie, thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. I think we forget that our journey isn't always one of mishaps and pain. Your words are very encouraging.

118 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Going in for all my procedures soon as soon.  I have many questions about dentures.Can I post them on here?

1 Message

• 

64 Points

All this has been very helpful saturday will make a week that i got the rest of my teeth pulled and both top and bottom full dentures put in not doing to bad just cant keep bottom in due to severe pain in back on bottom when i put it in..so i keep in top inonly will this cause a problem later
will they not fit

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Hi Victoria Roberts

Go back to your dentist with the bottom dentures and have him make an adjustment so you can wear them otherwise
you will never be able to get those bottom dentures to fit properly
Let us know what your dentist does for you
Barbara

35 Messages

• 

150 Points

Getting back with your ex lover,urgently with love spell prophetoyinbojesus@gmail.com is really the best spell caster with 100% guarantee..My life became devastated when my husband sent me packing, after 6 years that we have been together. I was lost and helpless after trying so many ways to make my husband take me back. One day at work, i was absent minded not knowing that my boss was calling me, so he sat and asked me what its was all about i told him and he smiled and said that it was not a problem. I never understand what he meant by it wasn't a problem getting my husband back, he said he used a spell to get his wife back when she left him for another man and now they are together till date and at first i was shocked hearing such thing from my boss. He gave me an email address of the great spell caster who helped him get his wife back, i never believed this would work but i had no choice that to get in contact with the spell caster which i did, and he requested for my information and that of my husband to enable him cast the spell and i sent him the details, but after two days, my mom called me that my husband came pleading that he wants me back, i never believed it because it was just like a dream and i had to rush down to my mothers place and to my greatest surprise, my husband was kneeling before me pleading for forgiveness that he wants me and the kid back home, then i gave Happy a call regarding sudden change of my husband and he made it clear to me that my husband will love me till the end of the world, that he will never leave my sight. Now me and my husband is back together again and has started doing pleasant things he hasn't done before, he makes me happy and do what he is suppose to do as a man without nagging. Please if you need help of any kind, kindly contact Happy for help and you can reach him via email: prophetoyinbojesus@gmail.com or you can call him at +2348074066640