Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

Mon, Mar 2, 2015 9:33 PM

Dentures and the roof of my mouth

I know your fear. I am facing having 10 upper teeth pulled and an immediate upper denture. I have had the impressions made and was supposed to have went last sat for the e day, but I freaked out and cancelled it. My MAIN worry is the feeling of something covering the rood of my mouth. We who have had bad teeth know what extractions are and feel like. How having a painful ass abcess is. What happened was I had a small hole in my front tooth, and he fixed it...yeah...well now I have an abcess in the front tooth behind my nose. I have loose teeth...a partial is not an option...so he said a denture is the best option. When the technician came to do the impression , she was like "im so sorry about the new" like I was dying! Why didn't she say WOW you are getting a new smile or something positive...so I was scared to death....I was sick emotionally the entire weekend...so I call them to put a hold on everything.....I have seen a lot of positives on youtube...but how do you get used to the thing on the roof of the mouth??? Is that difficult?? eventually do you not notice it?? HELP

Responses

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

6 years ago

I am seven weeks out u don't feel anything in ur mouth any more u get use to it quickly.I do have a little trounle with food getting stuck on the roof of my mouth I am careful about what I eat. Things will be ok. Think nice big smile.

10 Messages

• 

360 Points

I'm hoping that will be the same for me. I'm day 5. The teeth are gorgeous but having the hard acrylic on the roof of my mouth feels terrible.

139 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

I just got my perms! I didn't have immediate dentures I went 5 months without teeth!!! And yes it is so weird not feeling the roof of your mouth I got s piece of American cheese stick to it last night! I'm also having to get used to my bite again,but from what I've heard on here it's something you get used to!!! That's encouraging!

40 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

6 years ago

Did you reschedule your appt? It took me three days just to call them last time so I know how you feel.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

6 years ago

No I haven't reschedules yet. I am trying to do research and convince myself to do it. I know it is inevitable. However, I still have the issues of losing the sensation of feeling the top of my mouth.. thank you Patti for the vote of confidence. Will it ever feel like me?? I went thru breast cancer 5 years ago. Double mastectomy. It feels like piece by piece im losing. Its like the permanence of it...what if I don't like the look of the teeth?? I am a semi professional dart player and I chew gum for tension druing matches and I wont be able to do it anymore. Any the horror stories about eating ...will I ever be able to eat whatever I want?? I drink koolaid...no more sugary drinks?/ It seems it will change a lot of Me. and of course we associate it will age. I am 48, but I look a bit younger...I don't want the old face people get when they lose their teeth. HELP

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

My mother chews gum and has dentures I think u just have to learn how just like eating it all takes time and we get the hang of it.

68 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

6 years ago

Consider the alternative, my friend.  You need to think of what the positives are.  I wasn't totally pleased with the feel of my dentures at first, but I had worn braces as a pre-teen and had a "retainer" which covered the roof of my mouth when the braces came off.  If you want to have a nice smile sometime in the near future, you have to go through what it takes to get there.  Keep the faith and don't give up.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

6 years ago

But do you get used to the feeling? How long if so? Will it ever feel normal that in there?

34 Messages

• 

934 Points

I have the same question.  How long does it take to get used to the feeling of something covering the roof of your mouth?  I find that if I'm doing something I tend to be OK; consequently I just spent a couple hours gardening.  The problem is when I stop my mind (and tongue) go back to the roof of my mouth.  Open to any and all suggestions.  So glad I found this site...need the support and happy to give it when I get to that point.

40 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

I had 17 teeth removed yesterday early am; all the tops and two bottom molars. As far as the upper denture covering the roof of my mouth, so far it hasn't bothered me. It just feels smooth. It goes pretty far back - I have to really stretch my tongue to even feel a tiny bit of the edge but it doesn't make me gag or anything.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

So how is it?? Any regrets? How do you like your new smile? was it worth it? Can you feel the roof of your mouth under the denture? Im afraid if I do this and then I absolutely hate it...im screwed...cant go back...

40 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

They look good, very natural, but my teeth didn't look bad to begin wich made it that much harder to have it done. I had bone loss and didn't have any other choice there wasn't enough bone to hold them in.

I regret that I didn't have another option and still haven't fully come to terms with it. I'm glad the actual day is over though and now I can just let my mouth heal. I don't feel the roof of my mouth, just the plate. It's hard and smooth. It's a bit awkward but it's been ok, it's not driving me too terribly crazy. Its only been like 42 hours though so hard telling what's around the corner. I'm sore clear up into my nose and sinuses but I think I've done better than average so far. I have no plans to remove them though, I'm too scared. The dentist will do it Tuesday.

I'd say if it has to be done, and you know there are no other options, just do it and get it done with. The unknown was making me crazy, and I came very close to calling it off, but I would have just prolonged my anxiety. I'm glad it's done now. Im fortunate to have a husband that has been overwhelmingly supportive, and has let me cry on his shoulder (for a solid five minutes the night before), and stayed with me until I was sedated and was back at my side within minutes of waking up. The staff was really understanding while I bawled while they were hooking up the monitors and getting me ready for sedation and the dentist reassured me over and over that it would look good and I'd get used to it. He said "we aren't taking a hand off, or doing open heart surgery, in the grand scheme of things you will be able to live a full and happy life with this." He was patting my hand, said it very gently, just trying to put it into perspective for me. Between them and my husband I had a lot of support and I'm grateful for that.

7 Messages

• 

186 Points

well the bad thing is once we do it....its done...no going back so we have no option but to deal with it. So please let me know about your progress. why did you have to have them all pulled?

54 Messages

• 

742 Points

a year ago

Time, patience and will power are your biggest allies. 
Dentures are removable appliances that can replace missing teeth and help restore your smile. 
Initially, dentures often will feel strange and bulky and will cause a feeling of fullness of the lips and cheeks. In time, these feelings will subside and you will feel more comfortable.