Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

Tue, Oct 31, 2017 2:59 AM

Denture rides on one remaining tooth...

I was scheduled to have all my teeth extracted almost 7 weeks ago, but a lower wisdom tooth was left , DR. felt it was too close to the nerve. So now I have some discomfort where the denture rides on the wisdom tooth (gum) not sure if I should have this part of the denture taken off or see if it will fit itself in the next few weeks. What do you think have it removed or give it more time? 

Responses

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

3 years ago

I'm surprised that a tooth can be left in and have the denture put over it. If I understood that correctly?
When I had my top 11 removed my Dr. stopped at one tooth and took an X-ray . She wanted to make sure it wasn't too close to the nerve. If it was she wasn't going to put my permanent denture in until she sent me to an oral surgeon for him to take it out. Thank God I didn't have to and everything was done in that one shot.

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

3 years ago

I did have an oral surgeon do all the extractions, he told my husband that the one wisdom tooth was left in because it was too close to the nerve and did not want to risk nerve damage. 

Just got back from getting an adjustment where the one tooth was left. It's not hurting right now, if it keeps this up I will get a soft reline next week. 

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

3 years ago

Hi, Glad you are doing well. Yayyyy! And I will say a prayer that you are able to get your soft reline.
I was just curious as to how that works. Do they make the plate go around that tooth or does it cover over it. I've never heard of this situation before so I have no clue. Thanks!

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

It is my lower right wisdom tooth, the healing denture had been made for all teeth to be removed, so the denture tooth is on top (covers) of my wisdom tooth  (gum). Over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I've had the tooth on the denture taken down and a number of adjustments where  the  denture meets my gums .

Pamela, have you ever gotten a soft reline? I asked what to expect but all I was told was that I wont like it, it has a bad taste . I do have a gag reflect problem so I was wondering what to look forward to when I go in. 

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

Hi Rose I know u asked Pamela but I have gotten a few soft relines. It does taste kinda funky for first day or 2 but it goes away soft relines imo r amazing!!! They feel so soft and cushy and ur denture fits like a glove for a while. The taste is kinda bad but a good couple soaks and it's gone.

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

Melanie, how long have you been wearing them? 

422 Messages

• 

12.7K Points

I got mine in March got 1st reline 10 days later 2nd at 3 months 3rd at 6 months. I will get my permanent address in Dec so I've had mine about 8 months

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

I'm only 7 weeks into this whole ordeal and I sometimes feel like throwing them across the room, I make dinner and can only eat some of it. Will it get easier? 

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

3 years ago

Im not the OP but similar situation. It will go right to it most likely. Like a partial would. In my case the wisdom tooth is under the skin if the gums. all four. Because of where my upper plate sits its divving into one of them. That gets fixed Next monday. No one will touch mine. Too scared of nerve damage and paralisys.

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

Sorry to hear that. I just learned something new. I really pray that somehow there is an answer to these problems. No one should have to live in pain

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

Debi, I had the same thing, the oral surgeon, and the dentist will not touch that tooth due to the possibility of nerve damage, so I wait until it feels like its ready to come out. 

How are they fixing it on Monday? 

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

They will be trimming the back shorter. And the reline SHOULD help. Im 53, so these teeth ain't coming! Lol.

28 Messages

• 

490 Points

Debi, I'm right there with you I'm 54. Trimming the pink stuff will help for at least it helped me, but when I was eating it was hurting so the dentist took a look with dentures in and me bitting down she then took the top of the denture tooth down. 

let me know how things go