Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:50 PM

Denture adhesive. Ugh!!!

What is the best way to remove denture adhesive from your gums and the roof of your mouth when you take your teeth out? I'm having mega problems with that!
(from c.watkins2@mchsi.com)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

true it works every time. Cold water makes the adhesive stick to the dentures better than hot when removing the dentures.
(from katsnad)

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

This is a good point. I found early on warm or hot water works Errol, but now hearing the description of using cold works will give me more confidence to try it out. Thanks

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I tried fixodent I experienced the sides of mouth was very sore. There were no visible sores that I could see. I then checked the product and found that it was not zinc free. Bummer because it worked so well. I am back to poligrip it's okay, does anyone know if fixodent makes zinc free adhesive? Has anyone experienced the sore mouth?

259 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Sandra, I have never tried it but I am pretty sure Rosie an official rep Reply to someone and said that there is a Fixodent that is zinc free.

3 Messages

• 

50 Points

I've got the zinc free on poligrip and fixodent, and it's hurting my mouth! That's why I came to this site, trying to find out why. I've had my immediates about a month now, and its awful! Can't talk right, can't eat right, and if I use a different adhesive food gets under my dentures!

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

De,

This thread is pretty old.  You may have better luck / more responses if you start a new post specifically for the questions you have/ problems you are trying to address. 

I don't know if anyone will be able to tell you why, it's fairly difficult to diagnose pain through the computer and there are a minimal amount of professionals who post on these forums. Users / denture wearers here will be able to speak of their experiences and give you some ideas to talk to your health care provider about or try at home.

Good Luck!

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

i have had dentures for 2 months and 3 days now i tryed the gooey stuff but i love the powder works great and less gooey
(from airforcemom91)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

first of all don't use too much. If it oozes out after putting your dentures in you have used too much. I have tried both paste and powder. I prefer powder, it turns to paste with gum moisture contact. It also disolves when I remove my dentures buy swishing my mouth with warm water. It may take a couple of times of swishing but it works better than anything I have tried.
(from donnabemount@yahoo.com)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have had my upper denture for 8 months now. I work in a repair shop and fix medical equipment. I have always been a "do it yourselfer" type. I used Fixodent by itself and really liked the hold but hated the mess. What I did was to only use the Fixodent in the "horseshoe" part of the denture, just a small amount. I then use a Seabond waffer cut in half on the top part (roof).
The Seabond acts as a buffer for the roof of my mouth to eliminate any sore spots that I got daily. Now when I remove my denture I have virtually no residue left on my gums and the denture cleans up in a snap! If it weren't for the plastic roof of my denture, I would never even know I had a denture their soo comfortable.
Also rinse you mouth often with water or some mouthwash during the day. It really helps.
(from TAG)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi AFM, I've been wearing dentures for nearly 15 years now and started with the FastTeeth powder on the uppers and Fixodent creme for the lowers. The powder, if applied while the dentures are wet will make them stick fairly well to your palette. The creme holds the lowers in place better, for as you said saliva & other liquids make them pop loose when using the powder. To remove the "gooey" mess residue I've found that the alcohol based mouth washes really help in cutting the adhesive loose in the mouth; upper & lower.
(from AmiWolf)

1 Message

• 

80 Points

This worked wonderfully! Thank you! :)

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I had a lot of trouble with the paste used to hold in your dentures, I have try most, and all are near enough the same with regards to removal, messy, and sticky. I have an electric tooth brush  from happier days. I run hot water and keep my brush wet and hot, then just brush my gums as I would my teeth, this breaks it up into small modulars pieces, then as one writer had written, I get a paper towel and rub all areas and it all comes away. Great!, but to those who are reading this, tell others, the best thing of all, is not to lose your teeth. (JUST ONE VOICE)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I was having the same problem until I started letting my water get extremely hot then when I swish my mouth out the fixodent comes right off my gums. I'm sure everyone might be different though. Good Luck!

courtney
(from courtney)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I find that using hot water on the dentures does the trick on the denture and warm on the gums although it does take longer.
(from newyorkonly)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Yes I agree with you about the paper towel (not toilet paper) for some reason, it really helps take it off the roof of your mouth and off the dentures too...And, amazingly it doesnt make a mess.... I swear by it.... Good luck..
(from AnnieBanannie)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have had an upper denture 40 years.. never needed any adhesive on the top one. I just got a botton (and new top one) less than 2 weeks ago. I have been using adhesive on the bottom, as the dentist suggested it right from the beginning. I rinse the adhesive off with hot water..also a manicure stick is helpful. I rinse my mouth with warm water and mouth wash.. and pull off what remains.
I am eating soft foods.. have been since 2nd day. Chicken, noodles, pottoes. even have had some crackers and potato chips.
(from bj2705)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

hroughout Gen. Stanley McChrystal is described as "America's leading evangelist for counterinsurgency" -- a leader who surrounded himself with a crack team of "counterinsurgency experts" devoted to using that strategy to win the war in Afghanistan. But the man who co-wrote the military's 2006 counterinsurgency manual with Gen. David Petraeus says McChrystal didn't appear to understand or embrace that strategy's cornerstone: full military partnership with civilian government allies.
"If you look at Iraq, Petraeus and [former Iraq Ambassador Ryan] Crocker were joined at the hip and closely coordinated State Department and military activities," said Conrad Crane, the leading author of what has become the counterinsurgency bible. "From the reports, it appears that the close cooperation in Afghanistan was not there."
Crane said that the authors of the counterinsurgency manual agreed on the fundamental importance of inter-agency and international coordination and cooperation. "When we did the counterinsurgency doctrine, we moved unity of effort up to the second chapter to emphasize how important that is," he explained. Crane describes the lessons in that chapter, "Unity of Effort: Integrating Civilian and Military Activities," as vital.
"You need unity of effort because you've got so many players," Crane said.
The counterinsurgency manual authored by Crane and Petraeus puts particular emphasis on coordinating closely with civilian entities, like the State Department. "Commanders must be familiar with other U.S. government organizations and aware of the capabilities they can provide ... Commanders and civilian leaders of U.S. government organizations should collaboratively plan and coordinate actions to avoid conflict or duplication of effort," it says. "There is no way for military leaders to assert command over all elements -- nor should they try to do so."
(from justice@bridgeworldwide.com)

8 Messages

• 

222 Points

You are on WRONG message board.??????

5 Messages

• 

204 Points

Caroline, I think that message is spam. Too weird!