Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:50 PM

Denture adhesive. Ugh!!!

What is the best way to remove denture adhesive from your gums and the roof of your mouth when you take your teeth out? I'm having mega problems with that!
(from c.watkins2@mchsi.com)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Did anyone ever get a cough from dental adhesive?
(from NotAklu)

14 Messages

• 

310 Points

I have. I think it's from it losing  adhesion then some starts working out towards the back of your throat. I cough and have to clear my throat. It's not the same feeling as sinus drainage.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Really hot water or really cold water whatever feels best. Melt it or Freeze it.
(from NotAklu)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I've had mine for 25 years now and haven't used any adheasive yet. It takes a little time to get used to them.
AVOID!!! Bubble gum
Watch for anything with seeds...
I eat everything including apples and have no trouble what so ever...

(from jroye)

10 Messages

• 

242 Points

you are so blessed..<3

............is that a full set of dentures  ?   wcrusier@bellsouth.net

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I just got New dentures on top after 43 years, and a new fist time partial on bottom,  I hate the new set!!!!  the teeth are a lot bigger in size, and my old upper they teeth were straight down in front, the new ones stick out and give a small over bite,  I still cannot chew steak with the new ones, and it has been almost 3 months,  the bottom even with adhesive cause sores on the one side where there is a bone bump--and I have the adhesive goo problem,  hot water, toothpaste and brush 10 minutes to get it all out,  never had to use adhesive with the old uppers.

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

I tried the powder yesterday and for me it has been the best over everything else. The creams are a messy business with much wasted time trying to remove it.

5 Messages

• 

204 Points

Lois, same here. I have had an upper denture for 3.5 months and I cannot chew steak or even bacon! Sometimes eating a slice of toast with butter will cause my uppers to move about. Or just talking will make them fall out...and I LOVE to talk. Also, I can be hard to understand with the dentures in place. I have an appointment in early Dec for a possible reline so I hope this will help me. I use the adhesive goo and it sticks to the roof of my mouth and gums. A word of caution...do NOT sit next to a window, especially if your neighbors are outside. I was watching TV in my favorite chair, of course, it is by the window. I was engrossed in the TV show....Big Bang Theory and was trying to remove the gunk from my gums. My neighbors saw me and they told another neighbor that I was picking my nose! :)

1 Message

• 

144 Points

Have to tell you i got a giggle from your post! I pictured it and it is just hilarious. I just got my faux teeth a month ago, and have to use adhesive.. Well should say i only HAVE to use it if i want to eat or talk or sneeze or open my mouth at all. Lol if not for those nuisances i wouldn't need tooth glue! Anyways, just thought about how sometimes you can get stringy gobs when removing the gook, imagine your nosy neighbors surprise if you would have flung that gob out the window, That might have taught your people-peeper to never look again, lol. Have a great day!

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I checked with my Dental Tech after about
two weeks,,my gums had healed pretty good,
i started using Fixodent about 3-4 weeks
after that,,,Second question--I could eat
comfortably after about 4-5 weeks,but very
slow,,its been two months now,,and i can eat
anything,,i just take smaller bites,,and am
a little slower,,which is all good,,good luck!!!
(from booki691)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I use A medium to soft toothbrush and scrape the top of my mouth with wsrm water and it removes the poligrip or what ever you use in 3 scrapes and will not hurt the top of your mouth.

Try it..
(from worldwide17156)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

It just depends on the person. When I first got dentures on the top I was only 22. I NEVER used an adhesive (for 15 yrs) till I got new top dentures and now I have to use it everyday. I guess it depends on how well the dentures fit from the start! It'll take you a few weeks, maybe more to be able to chew normally again.
(from cherokee32)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

They sell stuff for this. The paper towels get stuck inside your mouth! YUCK!!!
(from cherokee32)

1 Message

• 

82 Points

Are you asking or say there is stuff for that, because i would really like to know what that is?

3 Messages

• 

82 Points

So would I! Getting that blue out is THE worst part of dentures.

3 Messages

• 

82 Points

I meant goo not blue. Kindled talk for you!

2 Messages

• 

94 Points

Mee tooooo!! If there's an adhesive remover please share!! This goop situation is terrible!! Ive had my full set of dentures only a week but the sticly goop makes me wanna throw up bad so I bought the poligrip strips a few minutes ago and I'm going to try them tomorrow morning i hope they work better than the goop!!

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

Oh please ket us know how that works out!! I keep throwing good money after bad on different adhesives. Sea Bond comes off easily enough but it makes an unholy slimy mess while it's in there.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

GOOD ANSWER!!
(from cherokee32)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

ive had a top denture for 7 years and the real teeth on the bottom but the bottom real teeth got pretty bad so i had a bottom denture put in its been about a year, oh my gosh i thought i was going to die,, i reall(at the time) thought i had made a big mistake i cried a lot cause i could not eat at first i ate soup and potatos for about 3 months after the extractions i thoght i would never be aBLE TO EAT REGULAR FOOD AGAIN after a few months when the gums started to heal i started using adhesive it hurt for awhile i could not bite down i had to have a few adjustments after a few adjustments it started to feel better and i startred to finally be able to eat what i want i am a vegetarian so i dont have to worry about chewing a big piece of meat, anyway, i can eat corn on the cob and chips and syuff like that, but boy i had a hard time for awhile looking back i had som many regrets but now it fits good i use poligrip works great, and i can smile,, something i could not do for many many years,
(from nursep)

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

Yeah I hear you on how tough it is to adjust our own judgement. Not being able to smile and eat something without notice helps some ease into this new affect we may have. I wish we didn't have to remove them at all. You'd think they would find out how to keep in. I never thought I'd ever adjust to them. Now I forget either fall asleep with them in our go out forgetting to put them in. All in all I got used to them beyond my own struggles.

5 Messages

• 

204 Points

You two give me hope! 

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Not sure how to post on this,  but I'll give it a try...the simplest way to remove the denture goop is do it like your removing GUM....  freeze it.  take an ice cube and suck on it in your mouth  that will harden it and use your tooth pick to wash it away!!  ( yea i know two simple )  but it works

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

How does the powder work. I tried some powder once and it didnt do me justice. I put it on the lower dentures and the juices or saliva just causes it to not stick very long. How to you get it to stick?
(from katsnad)