Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:50 PM

Denture adhesive. Ugh!!!

What is the best way to remove denture adhesive from your gums and the roof of your mouth when you take your teeth out? I'm having mega problems with that!
(from c.watkins2@mchsi.com)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi! I am brand new to the world of dentures...hasn't even been a week yet. How soon after getting yours did you start using the adhesive? How long did it take before you could actually chew food comfortably?
I know I'm not answering your question, but I sure could use some help.
Thanks!
(from mpghrist)

1 Message

• 

82 Points

Hi. I just got my dentures a year ago. They don't fit right (waaay too big), so I use a lot of glue. I use blue shop towels (automotive section) to kind of rub the edges then peel the glue out of my mouth. If you get good at it, you can almost remove all of the upper or lower glue in one move by slowly peeling it off - try pushing back as you peel off the upper glue. I use Fixodent, it holds great and peels off cleaner. Polident and Poligrip just muddy up when you try to remove it.
I know this is an old post, But I hope it helps.

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I use a couple of different methods, one baking soda on a wet tooth brush. Don't get the baking soda wet though, then use a dry wash cloth to wipe it out of my mouth. Peanut butter removes it the best of all!

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

I have found that chewing gum works two ways with getting the gunk out your mouth and also helping your gums heal.  I am starting my second week and I have been eating somewhat fine.  I am fixing chicken tonight and will see how that goes.  Good luck Jim Hart

17 Messages

• 

470 Points

the chicken was great.

166 Messages

• 

3.7K Points

Glad to hear the chicken was good :)  

I haven't tried chewing gum yet.  Now you have me curious will have to try and remember to pick up a pack next tie I am out. 

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

What I do to remove the adhesive from my upper gums sounds pretty strange but works! I take a waded up piece of paper towel (not toilet paper) and than I just rub it as hard as I have to and what will usually happen is it will dry your gums and the upper portion of your mouth so that you can then just use your fingers to pull the adhesive out. It as I said sounds wierd but I have been doing this for years and seems to always work for me. It cannot be toilet tissue because that is too soft and will just sort of disolve in your mouth and make more of a mess. I have tried using a tooth brush but that seems to take a lot of time. The paper towel method I use takes a minute or so. Just as long as you get your upper portion of your mouth dry enough to be able to pull the adhesive from the gums. Good luck.
(from jimandshari)

1 Message

• 

82 Points

I just started wearing an upper and I stumbled across this process too and it is the best so far.  Thank you for confirming my suspicions :P

17 Messages

• 

342 Points

I used paper towels too until I found Kleenex hand towels that I keep in the bathroom for guests and I use them -- they are heavier then kleenex and smoother than paper towels but of the same strength as paper towels so they work good.  And I just have the box on the back of the toilet or on the sink.  That is what I use to clean the glue off the inside of my denture after I remove them prior to washing them before putting them in the cup at night.

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I use a soft (toddler) toothbrush and hot water.  Also gauze works well.  

23 Messages

• 

666 Points

Ok ppl.. It's easy..use a Dry wash cloth...the fixodent sticks to the rag...I've been doing this 7 years.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Crystal 545 I tried the wash rag tonight and it works great thanks! I've had my dentures for 3 1/2 weeks now and my gums are healed enough to use adhesive. I was wondering if you have ever tried the powdered adhesives?

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

When I first read your post, I thought..OHHHHH YUK !! However, being at wits end and tired of scrubbing with a toothbrush for 15 minutes, I tried your idea. It works great. I don't bother with drying the paste and peeling it off, I just use the paper towel and rub the roof of my mouth and the gums with pressure, and the paste comes right off. I told a few friends of this, and they also now use this method over the toothbrush. Thanks for the tip.
(from lgspangler)

2 Messages

• 

94 Points

Thank you I also needed this tip!!

23 Messages

• 

666 Points

A dry wash cloth . works best. It sticks to it.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have found the best way to remove adhesive is with a soft toothbrush and hot tap water. Yes it takes a couple minutes to clean it out, but the brushing is also good for your gums and tongue. Never takes me any longer than it used to take brushing teeth.
(from mine)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

hi,, i am very new to dentures, its been a week an 2 days, i am using fixodent cream, its wonderful! i am just now gettin to where i am bite down slowly when i'm eating, ,, over all i love my new teeth! Gentry in b'ham!
(from gentry70)

107 Messages

• 

2K Points

Just switched to fixodent. Love it.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I've only had mine for a little over 2 weeks now, but I started useing adhesive the first day. Mostly because I have a few bone chips that haven't worked their way out yet, and the fixodent acts as a cushion between the dentures and my gums. I still have a little pain if eating harder foods, but it is getting better. Hope this helps.
(from lgspangler)

1 Message

• 

102 Points

You mentioned "I have a few bone chips that haven't worked their way out yet". You may want to consider going in and having them do an Aveoplasti. It is surgery again but without that you are potentially destined to suffer. Honestly, I can't believe that your dentist DID NOT do that in the first place. See if there is an AffordableDentures in your area. That is who I had do the removal and I can say that I am EXTREMELY pleased! 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I had lot of bone chips and ripped them out myself. Had surgery to remove my broken teeth and my insurance didn't pay it so now I am receiving the bill from the surgeon!

Crazy how much I had to rip out of my mouth huge pieces

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I also had chips.  They worked themselves out so no need to pay for more procedures (unless you have another issue like an infection)

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Did u still have holes in your gums...and does the adhesive come out if those holes easily. I'm1 week in and still very sensitive..and nervous about the open holes.

259 Messages

• 

6.1K Points

I had one hole where i had a wisdom tooth.  I also had various spaces where my gums were uneven due to plaques and calcium.  As long as you don't have a clot in there, then the adhesive comes out.  I used a towel to remove it.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have upper denture only- I find the best way to get them loose and come out easily- ( Once you get used to them moving around- which I hate sometimes- cause I'm a rather gaggy person at times. Is to eat something sort of hard ( Carmel corn, something chewy) and they tend to loosen up rather quickly. I have had my upper for a year and a half. Good Luck!
(from Charzy91)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have had dentures for 40 years, my parents both had dentures & they always used the powder, I started with the powder & a few times tried that gooy stuff & always went back to powder. I started the fixodent when it was called fasteeth. I will stick to the powder. easy to use & never gooey & holds great
(from sharonann)

1 Message

• 

84 Points

I've heard from many powder users that it's much easier to deal with. I need to find some.

472 Messages

• 

14.2K Points

To me the powder doesn't hold quite as good, but it more than makes up for it by the ease of clean up. Also if its been less than 2 weeks since extractions, powder is all I would recommend. No adhesive will make up for a poor fitting denture. If they are loose I would recommend a soft reline followed by powders.

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

I have the gauze pads from the dentist and use those. It takes only a couple minutes to remove most of the goo. Then I drink something hot to desolve any leftover residue.
(from ChattanoogaRox)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

7 years ago

It takes time and have lots of patience- it is all worth it. I have an upper only - I can be a gaggy person at times- just with the thought and feel of someting adhered to the roof of my mouth. Give it a few weeks, and try something new everyday if possibe- things get better all the time with eating. Good Luck. I've had mine a year and half now.
(from Charzy91)

1 Message

• 

62 Points

I am super gagging! I can only keep mine in about 5 minutes before I have to get it out. I’m worried about putting an adhesive in if it won’t come out quickly but I was thinking an adhesive might make me calmer as my brain will know I can’t swollow it ( lol it a partial)