ralena_obrien's profile

6 Messages

• 

342 Points

Thu, Sep 22, 2016 3:30 AM

Day 5 after extractions and my dentures kill me to the point I don't wear them

I have a question because at this point I'm getting very depressed. I'm on day 5 after having oral surgery and receiving my immediate dentures, the first 2 days I left them in but then took the out to sleep and on day 3 it started hurting really bad in places. I went to to dentist they shaved some places off and it helped but at this point I had sores so no matter what they did those sores hurt. Decided to give it a day or so to let sore heal up plus didn't want to shave too muxh off since gums are still swollen. Day 4 I couldn't put them in wo crying and the pain wouldn't ease up after 5 mins so I took em out. I know it will be better once the soft gel liner is put in and I can use adhesive but in the mean time am I hurting anything by not wearing the dentures???? I'm 30 and a mother, I want to leave my house eventually Ughhh please tell me this gets better

Responses

458 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

5 y ago

What is a soft gel liner?  Yes it takes times to heal.  It needs to heal and you need to relax and give it time, what did your dentist say.  You might need some medicine to heal your sore gums. I have been wearing fiull bottom dentures and partial on top.  I have a lot of bone loss and the only paste for me is SECURE and they make liners which I have not tried yet.  There is no magic cure just be patient and hope you can tolerate the dentures.  My dentures don't hold as soon as I eat or drink they loosen up,  Honestly its not easy, but try SECURE only on lline or certain stores carry it.  I think its $7.99 per tube the others are useless.

43 Messages

• 

904 Points

I can only find Secure on line. You MUST be patient. I am still having a hard time and it's been over a month. It slowly gets better however, It always hurts somewhere. 
Not easy but hang in there I am.

107 Messages

• 

2K Points

5 y ago

I found glyoxide for mouth pain. Any drug store. Lots of patience. Try to take your mind off the problem. A good movie, book or maybe a walk. Good luck.

37 Messages

• 

640 Points

5 y ago

So sorry you are having a ruff time... I am using Kank+A found at Wal-Mart... I put it on the denture itself than put it in....it helps me, maybe you too...I am on day 7 and really only have one major issue... but I iced heavy for three days....just for the swelling and I used salt water about six times a day... and I do want to say that it will get better...

6 Messages

• 

342 Points

5 y ago

Thank you very much. I also bought some kanka stuff and it allows me to get my top in w little pain now. I go in for an adjustment today and I'm betting that will help tremendously. If it wasn't for this site I would've went crazy. So again thanx to all who reply not to just me but anyone, it really does help!

458 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

5 y ago

Dentures are a whole new experience.  I really have a hard time and I have been hrough a few pair of dentures.  Very costly and only wear them if I have to.  Using SECURE u can only buy from Company or some drug stores.  Not CVS or commercial drug store.  Its about $7.99 a tube also sell strips yet to try them.

1 Message

• 

120 Points

5 y ago

I'm 44 and I was sad to get dentures but it had to be done. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Yes, it does get better I promise. You will have to go through a few adjustments before it gets way better. One suggestion, don't do big adjustments, just small ones. Your mouth heals so quickly and changes so fast. I just got mine done in May and already had them refitted once and I am due to go again but trying to save money so I use this Fixodent. I miss some things like corn on the cob, ribs, chewing gum. I hate how bread sticks to my dentures but on the plus side I have always loved eating really hot food (temperature not chile) and now I can get super hot and it does not burn my mouth. With dentures, you have to always find the silver lining. Don't give up I promise you will look great and feel good soon. It took me about a little over two weeks for the majority of the swelling to go down but in some spots, it was still there. Gargle with salt water every day, that will help with the swelling. Good luck girl. We are all survivors!

458 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

5 y ago

Try SECURE best denture paste and comes in strips,  You can only get from their site or specialized drug store about $7.99 tube much better than Fixodent.

458 Messages

• 

8.7K Points

5 y ago

I used the secure strips they really hold the denture.  You must trim a little to fit.  It takes better than the paste.  It did irate my gums a little I will try again.  I u call SECURE and ask for some samples they are good like that.

1 Message

• 

80 Points

3 y ago

This is too late for the OP, but may help someone else. I'm on day 5 after having 29 teeth extracted and immediate dentures put in. My dentist trimmed the dentures a bit on day 3 to eliminate some points of friction, but overall the pain has not been too bad. He told me not to remove them at night for the whole first week, to allow the gums to heal into the shape of the dentures. I do remove them several times a day and rinse my mouth with warm salt water. He also gave me a tube of Sockit! gel, which helps to both relieve pain and prevent infection. I apply this to the dentures before putting them back in my mouth. I've been alternating between Advil and Tylenol, which has helped quite a bit. The Hydrocodone he prescribed will remain unused, unless things take a drastic turn for the worse!

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Best reply!!

1 Message

• 

60 Points

1 y ago

I wish I had a positive response to any of this!! After surgery I wore my immediates till I got home and then they had to come out. I was bleeding so bad, I couldn't help it. They had to come out. My gums do not look good at all, and I'm pretty sad to admit this but I think I have a horrible infection since day two! My mouth has been filling with my saliva this nasty yellow stuff and I literally have to spit it out cause there is no way I am swallowing it. It tastes and stinks so bad. It also makes my mouth feel like it's super numb and on fire. Mouth is constantly dry from dispelling all this liquid. I can only imagine nobody will be able to relate to this what so ever. I cannot eat a damn thing but drink liquids then immediately rinse with warm salt water. This has been going on since day 2 though. I know it's very common to have bone spurs, but it really does look like a chunk of tooth is poking through my bottom gums, and in one spot my gums are actually pulling away from the jaw bone. Terribly worried that's maybe the reason of infection if that's what it is. My dentist insists it's not an infection, but how on earth do you ignore the liquid I'm spitting out? I'm not in any pain what so ever, and only am slightly swollen on my bottom gums where I seem to have little issues. I'm only on day 10 and this is nuts. I cannot wear my teeth at all. I'm in a losing battle here and am terrified if this is an infection that it may just spread elsewhere ie...heart or brain. I'm only 36 and am way too young to have these issues. Just feel hopeless. Everyone I speak to were eating softer foods and able to keep their teeth in daily. I paid 7 grand to be in pure agony. It's hell.
Again, I can only imagine nobody has even heard of this nonsense happening before. I'd gladly share pics if need be. I don't feel the urge to be a circus animal though lol. My bottom jaw doesn't look like it should. Where the k9s were, their so big and bulky, they just don't look right. It looks like molars or something that was left instead of normal looking gums. Grrr...this is just Uber annoying and stressful. Especially the fluid....every couple of mins I have to spit out. Can't even sleep at night. Been taking amoxicillin but it isn't helping at all.
End rant

17 Messages

• 

300 Points

Are you a diabetic? Have you been tested for it?

Also, you have not mentioned what it is you do for oral hygiene and cleaning of the dentures. That is the most important thing during the first 2-4 weeks. Gargle and swish with mild saltwater 3-4 times per day). Soak dentures in effervescent tabs daily and brush as needed. - Good luck. 

5 Messages

• 

140 Points

You may need a different antibiotic. Amoxicillin doesn’t work for me at all. 

1 Message

• 

62 Points

8 m ago

I know this is from 4 years ago but want to know how things are going for you.? I'm experiencing the same thing you went through

17 Messages

• 

300 Points

8 m ago

Get some Anbesol (talk to your pharmacist for other simular products) to put on your gums to numb them. Dont forget good oral hygiene. Gargle lightly with mild salt water with dentures out.  Soak dentures in effervescent tabs and brush as needed. Stay strong. (Gargle/swish with a shot of rum and swallow if you like. The alcohol will clean, disinfect and numb the sores.) 

1 Message

• 

60 Points

21 d ago

On day 5 of my immediate dentures. I have a couple sore spots and as of now I cant get denture out due to swelling and soreness. Anyone have any tips . I use salt water and Oral B Mouth Sore mouth wash to help. Anyone else experience this

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

@StacyLanham just wondering how your getting on I'm only on day 2 but bottom ones seem to be getting more painful. Dentist told me to give it a week and if no improvement to go back

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

13 d ago

Omg this is me. I'm only on day 2 thou. Went back to dentist yesterday as had a sharp bit which has caused a ulcer on front of bottom gum. I left them out last night for the first time as been so paranoid etc anyone seeing me without them in but now today the pain on bottom gum is 100 times worse and has moved around to the side. I'm struggling to speak. Top ones feel slot better today thou fingers crossed it lasts. I darent eat I had one meal yesterday which was a nightmare as they kept coming out and tried to eat soup the day before on day 1 and had 3 spoonfuls then just broke down crying with it all. Tried to speak to partner about it but obv he doesn't understand 

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

13 d ago

I just wrote a massive reply and lost it then notice this is a couple of years old now. How are you doing? I keep being told how things be much better in a week but have no one to speak to who's been through it. I'm on day 2 but exactly same as u were in your post