Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Wed, Feb 4, 2015 11:42 AM

Could someone answer a quick question about upper denture thickness?

Could someone answer a quick question? My new immediates are super thick on top. I am not gagging but there is no room for my tongue along the roof of my mouth. It seems that there is an excessive amount of acrylic. My roof was large now it has been severely diminished and totally not the same as the shape of my mouth.. Also there is a mound of acrylic behind the front upper teeth making it impossible to form certain words. Can this be ground/drilled/or adjusted by the dentist?

Responses

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

6 years ago

I thought I had it bad but mine sound luke heaven compared to urs.I take pain pills every six hours I will need to have them screwed in to my jaw.it sounds like u got the wrong ones.I can chew food they rock around.I will pray for u but stand up for ur self.

94 Messages

• 

4.1K Points

6 years ago

Kelly,

Call your doctor and (don't ask) TELL them you are coming in! Wednesday is a week away and you could incur some serious damage (mouth sore/pressure areas that open/infection) as well as unnecessary pain/discomfort! Some 'corporate' dental offices are pretty strict on setting follow-up appointments but

Stand your ground and demand to be seen NOW. LOL. Do it tactfully though and don't cause a scene unless ya have to. But seriously, they should see you a.s.a.p. if you are having that many issues. Just walk up to the front desk and let them know you're not leaving until you see a dentist.

You very well could have gotten the wrong plate. Mistakes are made every day. Even if the plate you received was intended for you, it is clearly not the correct fit or structure (my opinion) based on your description.

I got my upper plate Monday and I have been back to the office 3 times since then. My dentist's office has called me twice to 'check on me' and asked how I am doing and if I have any problems. They told me that they follow patients very closely because it helps them resolve/prevent issues with future patients more easily. 

I am going back today to pick up my lower partial. Yeaaaaaaa! More hardware in my mouth! LOL

Thankfully, I am doing pretty well. I really don't pay much attention to my dentures throughout the day. I take them out before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning to rinse them and my mouth, then I slip them back in so I retain the shape of my gums. 

As far as eating, I can handle semi-soft food. Chewing is getting easier but, because I am missing the four front teeth on the bottom and I am not yet using an adhesive; I can't bite anything because there is nothing to bite against. Hopefully, after my partial is in a couple days this will improve.

I still have some minor tenderness but I had 9 extractions on top (one was drilled out because the root broke off during extraction and I have sutures there - they come out today) and two on the bottom.

After you insert your dentures, press down (or up) on the them to 'squish out' any saliva/liquid that might be between your denture and your gums/palate. This will help secure them in place. You might also want to avoid foods you have to chew for now. Go with soups, liquids, puddings, yogurt, creamy mashed potatoes, and even baby food. Once you get a better fit and start using adhesives in a couple weeks you should be doing better.

My advice (which is water under the bridge for you right now) is that anyone seeking a dentist for dentures is to do your homework! I interviewed 5 different dentists before I found the one I chose to do the job. I asked a LOT of questions regarding their policies and procedures.

What is your experience in this field? Do you have references? Do you have a Web Site? What insurance do you accept? What all do they cover? Do you arrange payment plans? Do you accept checks or credit cards? How much does it cost? Hidden costs? Are follow-up appts covered under this cost? How many follow-ups does it cover. How many follow-ups can I expect? What will be done at the follow-ups? How many 'sets' of teeth will I have before I get the final results? Will I receive a 'sample pack' of denture supplies? What are your regular hours? What are your emergency hours? Who will be on call when you are not available? What are my options? What are your recommendations? Do you prescribe prophylactic antibiotics? What pain meds to you recommend/prescribe? How long before I get my teeth? When do I come back? What can I expect? Will I be able to choose the color/shape/style of my teeth? What if I don't like them after I get them? What is the cost of repairs/replacements? Are there any guarantees? If so, what are they? Will you put all this in writing?

I'm happy with my dentures and I am sure I will be happy with my partial. But I still have questions and I will hang  out here until I get all the answers I need and provide answers to many of the questions others might have.

In the meantime, rinse with warm salt water several times a day and see if you can get in to see your dentist before next Wednesday!

Fyllis

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

6 years ago

Good responce fyllis and good luck.

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

6 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of your support. I took the top denture off to check something.....I made some nontoxic kiddie play dough (flour salt oil) and gently got an upper imprint of the roof of my mouth....without the denture. Guess what? They aren't even close in size or shape. Going over there first thing!

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

6 years ago

Good for u.I just got a bone spur where they pulled one of my teeth it hurts so bad.my teeth came with my name right on them.do ur teeth have ur name on them?. I will be praying for u. Kelly

1 Message

• 

78 Points

Mine had my name too

6 Messages

• 

130 Points

Hi I had to have 4 upper front teeth 2 at side taken out I knew it wasn’t right the minute I put them in I went back they shave half of roof away too thick couldn’t talk properly I just kept having to get them adjusted but only wore them for appointment only after 5 month they took impressions again I now have chrome for rough of my mouth and they clip on remaining teeth you need to keep on at them it your mouth you know what fits and what you’re comfortable with xx

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

6 years ago

Kelly. Yes you go into that office first thing in the morning....you tell them you are not leaving till they see you. Make sure you are very nice...so nice and rather helpless. So they think they are doing you a favor in seeing you. Be firm but try not to go off on them. I am a nurse and I know what attitude will get you seen.
Now when you see him ask for the molds to look at. They would of sent them back with the dentures after they were made. Your name should at least be on the molds. Then put your dentures on the molds...they should be a perfect fit. If no name or dont fit then they were mixed up.
In fact when you go in you can ask the receptionist to see the molds then...she or the assistant can get them for you, even if he cant see you right away. If they wont then I would suspect something not right....thats when you get mad and tell them exactly what you want. Believe me they wont want an upset patient yelling out in the waiting room in front of the other patients.
Whatever you do dont get so mad that you leave your dentures there...make sure you take them with you when you leave. Not knowing how this will turn out they will be your evidence . Good luck.

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I will follow yor advice. I was wondering about the original mold.....definitely want to see it. I expected a bulkiness at first but this is not right. If these fit properly and my mouth wasn't always so distended I think I would be doing pretty well right now. I can handle them being so far back in my mouth....no gagging anymore, my tongue has explored them and seems to have a bearing on what is there....it's just all the wrong size and shape. My mouth is narrow....this thing is WIDE. My new teeth are short....I worked doing advertisements/recordings for commercials and telephone recordings several years ago. Took several classes on annunciation/diction. These dentures have left me without the surface areas for contact for proper speech.

I've been trying to drink yogurt smoothies and such. Problem is that I can barely close my mouth to drink. Taking even ibuprofen is scary as there is no room to maneuver my tongue to transport the pills to the back of the mouth throat area. Even the slightest tongue movement dislodges the lower plate and cuts into the frenulum. It's embarassing and frustrating to drink! My husband tends to be a bit shall we say....insensitive.....last night he was "nice" enough to tell me I was slobbering. Yup.....he sure did! Needless to say I went into tears and just washed the teeth and went to bed. I am now waiting for him to get home from some meeting so we can go to the dentist. Thanks so much for being here for me. Right now I am certainly feeling considerable disappointment in my husband and in the dentist.

68 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Excellent advice, Kelly.  I'm a retired legal assistant who worked many years for plaintiffs' attorneys, and I can tell you that a patient MUST complain (as you said nicely at first and then louder later on) in order to get things done these days.  That's the advice plaintiffs' attorneys give their clients....complain, complain, complain.

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Hi, I've worn dentures for 25 years, mine were immediately placed in and never had them changed, I'm petrified now as they are a nightmare to keep in without a tube of fixture a week, I'm 40 now, had them at 15 through health problems, I've made apt at the dentist twice now and they've rung and cancelled, I'm now suffering anxiety through this and convinced I can feel lumps etc all the time, I sleep with them too so they are never out, hope no one minds me posting, never posted before but just don't know where else to turn

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

Sorry it's taken 6 months for anyone to respond (unless I missed a post). But you are very welcome to post on here!

I certainly hope that things are going better for you! Please let us know?

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Why is my top lip so flat. I look like an old lady. Just got new dentu2

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

6 years ago

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Here is the upper....notice the odd hump? Is it normal to not have any Surface area to the back surface of the teeth? My front teeth were soo much bigger. This plate is so wide that I look like a Cheshire cat even when my mouth is at rest.

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Here is the lower.....I love the unevenness of the under side and the monster canines....of course even they are different in size from each other!

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

Kelly its hard to tell from a picture, would have to compare to your mouth. I do see the bump on the top...the only way that would fit to your palate would be if your palate had an area that the bump fits into.
I dont know if you paid for them or you have insurance...if its insurance then call them ...tell them the problems and ask them to holx payment. Let us know what happens today.

7 Messages

• 

206 Points

What was the end result of this? Did the dentist's office take care of you, Kelly?

32 Messages

• 

852 Points

5 years ago

Kelli....my upper looked exactly like yours with that hump. Even got a blister in the spot that was thick. Last appt the dentist trimmed the back. In this day and age you would think that someone would come up with something better than a hard frigging plastic gagging device with teeth!!

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

5 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I'm 8 months in...waiting patiently for my final set. The immediates are now way too big. They've relined them several times but eh it's just about pointless. Soo looking forward to a good fitting set. I just want to be sure I'm about done shrinking.

4 Messages

• 

92 Points

2 years ago

Write a reply,i just got new  dentures,,i have been without any teeth now for a yr i cant not get use to them i kept them in at nite and most of the day i hate that glue stuff my upper dentures look a little gig idk i cant eat with them and i talk funny just got them 2 days ago 

4 Messages

• 

92 Points

when will i be able to talk right lol ty and i hate that glue stuff i have to rinse my mouth out like 5 times use a wash rad to get it all off my gums please help

3 Messages

• 

232 Points

Try using a powder instead of a gel or a paste. Sprinkle the powder on wet dentures and shake off the excess. That way, you'll have a lot less glue in your mouth.

Were these dentures molded immediately after tooth removal, or after a year of waiting? Molding too soon, before your gums have had time to shrink adequately, can result in dentures that are too big and don't fit well. My temporaries were so big I couldn't get a forkful of food between them. My permanents are perfect, I love them.

4 Messages

• 

92 Points

a yr after,,

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Jessica Ace
Hi Jessica
You should  really go back to your dentist
Just say  "something is wrong here.and  i cannot eat and I an not talk  and you have to make some adjustments so I can feel better and will be able to tolerate these dentures.
This  feels like torture"
He should  be able to make some adjustments so you feel and see some improvement
Let us know how you are progressing and what you have been doing to help yourself
feel better
Barbara

4 Messages

• 

92 Points

ty..