Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Wed, Feb 4, 2015 11:42 AM

Could someone answer a quick question about upper denture thickness?

Could someone answer a quick question? My new immediates are super thick on top. I am not gagging but there is no room for my tongue along the roof of my mouth. It seems that there is an excessive amount of acrylic. My roof was large now it has been severely diminished and totally not the same as the shape of my mouth.. Also there is a mound of acrylic behind the front upper teeth making it impossible to form certain words. Can this be ground/drilled/or adjusted by the dentist?

Responses

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

6 years ago

I am not sure what you mean by no room for your tongue. However the roof or palate of the dentures should be an exact mold of the roof of your mouth. Mine fit exactly to the roof and its tight...the sides on the gums are a bit uneven and it rocks a little. I am hoping a reline will fix that. I dont have a big lump behind my front teeth either. Its smooth just like my gums....because its a mold of my gums. You should go back to your denist and ask him what can be done.
Good luck to you.

1 Message

• 

100 Points

The palate of your dentures should be no more than 3 mill or even thinner in thickness.Super high impact acrylics these days are rather strong.The big lump behind your teeth is possibly the build up of acrylic that allows for the contact points of the lower teeth .Hope that makes sense. 

21 Messages

• 

560 Points

I got my final set of teeth two weeks ago.  At first I couldn't wear them without some pain.  I went back in to Aspen Dental yesterday and they corrected my problems.  They fit great and I am so happy with them.  No problem eating as I have been eating solid food since the first two weeks with my temps.  So you can say I am very happy now that I have a full mouth set of teeth.  I went so long with only a few rotten teeth and always had pain.  I wish everyone was as happy as I am with the new teeth as I am with mine.  Now I can smile where before I never did.  I use powder to help secure the top and the paste to hold the bottoms down.  I night when I take them out I chew gum to help take the paste out.  Works wonders for me.  I think most people use too much paste to secure their bottoms or tops down.  I use very little.  I use poligrip as I use to use fixadent but it doesn't work for me.  I made up my mind that I was going to eat what I want after I got my first set and nothing was going to stop me.  My best thing to tell everyone is if your teeth don't feel right go back to your dentist and have them work on them.  That is what I did and I didn't have any problem with Aspen Dental as they made them right.  Good Luck everyone!

1 Message

• 

80 Points

I had them shape my upper into a horsehoe shape and I have the roof of my mouth barely covered. I use adhesive. I can eat anything. I went to get new dentures and there is so much plastic and too thick. I keep as emergency set but hate them. I am going to get my immediate dentures duplicated and will find a lab to do that.

453 Messages

• 

11.5K Points

I know quite a few people that swear by this guy on ETSY.  
https://www.etsy.com/people/kleinrussell

He also has a new material to fabricate dentures that looks interesting.
https://tcsdentalinc.com/products/iflex-by-tcs
They're a bit more expensive, but may be worth it?

1 Message

• 

66 Points

I wish more people here had addressed this problem. I am having the same problem. Dentures fit pretty well but top is way way too thick. Bottom teeth are hitting upper palate and my tongue can't reach the front teeth. Glad to hear it can be adjusted. It's traumatic enough to go through this process. I have always had clear diction and this thick plate is making everything impossible.

11 Messages

• 

624 Points

6 years ago

I think the immediate denture is bigger so that the dentist can make adjustments as you heal. It may feel bigger because everything is swollen or may just be to big. The dentist can make adjustments. With mine, I had to have some removed from behind the front teeth because my lower teeth were hitting there. I have been in for many adjustments in this first month. I was told to call them whenever something was bothering me. I had some trouble with sore spots in the front as I was healing. It is better to get in sooner if it hurts.

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

Thanks for the input. The top is definitely not an exact match to the roof of my mouth. The denture teeth are shorter than my teeth were and right behind them (back of front top) the acrylic is bulged.... There isn't any surface for my tongue to go against without striking below the front teeth. When I try for "k" there is a gap on top,my tongue strikes left and right of roof but not central. I took them out to wash them this morning....was so scared. All went well other than the fact that I got to see my collapsed face with no teeth for the first time :( Cried for a minute then pulled myself together.....it is was it is right? Anyway, I inspected the top plate, instead of a gentle arch like my palate this has more of an indent.....like you would make for a filled cookie. Needless to say the top plate is shifting already. I go next Wednesday for adjustments. So can they grind excess of on the inside?

11 Messages

• 

624 Points

I would see if you could get in to see them before then. Did just get them? I just shared my story but I am a month into it and I feel for you. I still hate to have them out because it is humbling to say the least.

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

I had the extractions Monday so I am only in 48 hrs but I can already see that the lower is shifting and the top is popping forward. I'm starting to get a sore spot on the bottom where it is cutting down at the edge of the denture. I hate to whine and I am sure a lot of this is swelling and whatnot but with all of the horror stories I have read I am getting nervous.

11 Messages

• 

624 Points

I would call the dentist the sore spot will only get worse unless they fix it which they can do pretty quickly in the office

1 Message

• 

62 Points

Kell, I just got dentures yesterday. Top and bottom after getting all the teeth extracted, I also feel like under the roof of my mouth that it's too think. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like I will ever get used to it. I can't pronounce many things, I just feel like part that sits under the roof is huge. Do they do something about that, or is it I will have to deal with it?? Thanks much! Eric

94 Messages

• 

4.1K Points

6 years ago

My dentures feel fairly thick too but I am sure that is just a sensation I have because they are foreign to my mouth. The 'big lump' you feel is simply the denture following the natural curve of you palate.

It is going to take a while (up to 6 months?) to adapt to your new dentures. Introducing any foreign object to your body takes some getting used to. I remember 'way back when' when I got my first contacts. I felt like I had logs in my eyes!  Have you ever broken off a long fingernail and it felt like you lost your entire finger? Or got an extreme haircut and you kept reaching back to adjust a ponytail that wasn't there?  Give it time. Your gums have to heal and you need to adjust to wearing them.

It is going to take your mind longer to adjust than it will take your body to adjust. It's not what you are used to.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Terry Presley
Hi Terry
You asked how you could keep your lower  oer dentures in
One  way   is to get an overdenture secured by
 2 or  3 implants That would really work
beautifully.
They are more expensive then just a  regular denture but it i more like having your own teeth
It's really a quality of life choice
Pretend you are buying a used car.
Do you have a dental college near you where you could go in for an assement and a price???
What state do you live in???
In the meantime go back to your dentist and see if he can fix the problem in the interum
Stay well
barbara G

1 Message

• 

100 Points

Wrong! They are making them too thick. I have had two idiots for techs. Need to get someone who will do a wax one to test in your mouth then make them shave the wax way down to very thin. I always cut down everything with dremel tools. Also, I could pour my own acrylic and make them ultra thin. Most techs do not know what they are doing.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

Desperate Times

Hi
Well you are fortunate you can do this
but
most of us can not do this and this is the Dentist's job
Thar's what we are  paying for

The dentist's   should not be palming off their poor ability on us

Maybe those inexpensive guys  (those mail order denture makers )  Like Jo and 
Russell Kline are better
They certainly are cheaper
Barbara

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

6 years ago

I agree you do have to adjust to wearing them. You have never had all that plastic in your mouth before.
On the other hand if you have a specific sore spot call the denist and see them right away. They can grind the denture at that spot so it won't rub....if you dont it will just get worse to the point of not being able to wear them. I feel that thepalate should be an exact mold to your palate. One of the things that is very important is to be able to use suction on the top to keep them in place. If it doesn't fit tight then you can't suck to make the suction work. I would think maybe the mold was not made right or you didnt bite down firmly enough on the material when they took the impression.
Either way you need to see the denist.

68 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

6 years ago

When in doubt, CALL THE DENTIST!!

94 Messages

• 

4.1K Points

6 years ago

I went to the dentist this morning and he did an exam and asked if I had any issues. He buffed down a sharp edge that was hitting my frenulum and also beveled the back edge of my upper plate so there wasn't such a blunt 'drop off' to my palate. It blends down to my palate now and I don't play with it like I did before. It feels more comfortable.

If you feel you can't describe to the dentist what is wrong, draw pictures and show him/her where you are having problems such as sore and/or uncomfortable spots.

Fyllis 

7 Messages

• 

216 Points

My dentist told me today that if she shaves the back down I won’t get the suction it needs. I can’t keep my tongue away from it. I can’t eat because I don’t want my tongue to keep touching it and it will if I swallow. She said that maybe it was thicker on the left back side so she sanded it a little? And now instead of being a soft smooth cliff it is a sandy rocky one. When I push on it to make it closer to the roof of my mouth it pulls the denture down in the front. It is driving me absolutely insane. This would be a good form of torture on someone you didn’t like. This is miserable.

11 Messages

• 

264 Points

I'm having the same problem. Gagging and can't eat with it. I've had several adjustments and semi perm liner but still feels. Just...gross. I feel your pain.

8 Messages

• 

198 Points

If your talking about shaving the back in the middle to avoid gagging they can do that and it will stay in with paste.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

every one should read this before they get dentures
They should also read this if they are having  problems with their dentures

Click on this article
https://www.carefreedental.com/resources/16-dental-tips/128-everything-that-you-ever-wanted-to-know-...

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I had 17 teeth pulled, temp dentures in this morning! The top teeth do not fit! I feel like I got the wrong teeth. They said don't take out for 48 hours. I can't keep these in and no stitches so it's still bleeding! Ugghhh what happens if I just take top ones out?

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

6 years ago

Only thing I want to say is dont get too much shaved off in the beginning. I am 3 months out and have noticed mine are getting looser because so much swelling has gone down.
If too much is taken off then by 6 month out they will be very loose...to loose. For the first 6 months you really just have to be patient and let your gums heal. Of course have the sore spots taken care of right away...but nothing major. On my top they teeter totter...its tight to the palate but kind of rocks on it. If I bite on left side the right loosens a bit and same for the other side. Its very irritating but I am leaving it alone till I can get my first reline. I am hoping that will even it out. I actually dont have any sore spots anymore. At this point I am just trying to keep them tight so I can eat without them coming loose.

1.1K Messages

• 

19.7K Points

HI Jeannie #3

You have a denture  that does not work
Tell your dentist  that and ask for a refund and see what he says and does for you

In the mean time go to 2 dentists   (2 dentists that advertise free consultations)   with your dentures and ask them how they can correct your problem/

Have you considered clip on dentures that snaps onto 2 or 3 implants because that would solve your problem
If you have a dental college clinic near you that would be the least expensive way to get this   clip on solution
Barbara

1 Message

• 

60 Points

get them relined if necessary...if they don't fit properly it's their responsibility to make them right

94 Messages

• 

4.1K Points

6 years ago

The area I had buffed down today was a definite sharp point that was causing an open area on my gum. He just 'rounded' the point to keep it from poking into my gum tissue. When he beveled the palate of my upper denture, that was d/t it being a blunt edge at the back and it was raising up from my own palate. It now fits more securely and snug and I don't play with it with my tongue at all anymore. Just a couple fine tunings at this point that were causing potentially serious damage to my gums.

Fyllis

132 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

6 years ago

oh for sure those sharp points must be shaved down they can hurt sooo bad in a very short amount of time.  even when i feel mine are ok...i get one sharp one somewhere that i have to go in for.....it actually like the never ending story....llol

44 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

6 years ago

Ladies I am about to cry. I called for an appointment after explaining my concerns and was told the earliest they could see me is Wednesday. I asked if I could just wait in the waiting room and be squeezed in but she said they had a full schedule. I don't know what to do.... It's not been a full 72 hours yet and the bottom plate lifts if I move my tongue at all. The stringy attachment piece (sorry don't know its name) under tongue is getting sore because it is perpetually rubbing on the lower acrylic. My poor tongue has a tiny indent to live in below the lower plate. This is not working out well. My lower plate has shifted and sits cockeyed in my mouth. The two lower canines are different sizes....the elevated one bangs on my (second from center) front tooth. The top plate is all over the place and is rocking forward and back. The top front teeth are so short( and there is no surface area behind the teeth) that when I attempt to say "this" or "that" my tongue sticks halfway out of my mouth leaving my upper front teeth sitting on my tongue about 3/4 " in. I can feel my cheeks ,tongue,and mouth muscles working like hell to properly annunciate but the areas to form words are GONE. I virtually have no interior tooth surfaces, it's all acrylic on the inside....and believe me it is in irregularly shaped mounds! The lips are still turning downward and being dragged across the acrylic in a very unnatural way. The upper two canines are totally different sizes and the entire top is uneven. The front teeth are set flat and horizontal instead of a gentle arch....what a mess. Sores are developing everywhere......

I consider myself fairly tough. I have only taken two of the pain pills. One the first night and one last night. My jaw aches...I expected that. I have bruising....expected that too. I did not expect to walk in with 24 teeth(.....all front teeth upper and lower fully intact....) have impressions made and have the immediates be soooo far off from the original size shape and configuration of my originals. I am seriously wondering if I was given the wrong set!

I am 5'8...... I haven't eaten In days.....I have attempted to(cottage cheese,yogurt,scrambled eggs) no luck...as soon as I try to bite down both plates flop....I have almost choked three times now. Just navigating the antibiotic pill to swallow causes the plates to lift.....anyway....I am down to about 103lbs now. I look and feel like the walking dead! Just thinking that I will be living on a liquid diet til next Wednesday is so depressing. Sorry to vent.....I am losing it though.......:(

11 Messages

• 

624 Points

You could try some nutrition drinks so that you still get some nutrients. I found them to be somewhat filling since there isn't much if anything else in your system. Sorry you are feeling so badly. I agree that you should be firm with you dentist. Wed is way to long to be miserable. Maybe try telling the receptionist that you want to speak with the Dr.

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

I feel somewhat the same. My top teeth feel like they are and look too big. They wobble. I even tried to reline with Walmart products and they don't work. The bottom is so bulky it gave me a sore between my lip and gum area. The top look like a chip munk with nuts stuffed on the top lip. I hate them. I go to a appointment in three days. I kind of regret this even though I dont have bad teeth now as they are all gone. I had a lot of tooth aches and abcesses.  There must be a solution. It is so frustrating and you get very anxious I cant go out looking like an old hag. I am not that old and i can see that I look older

54 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

How is things now? I am having the same problem. I can't talk right. I have not place for my tongue. The upper is way too thick. Have you adjusted to yours yet? @Kelly and @Mary.

62 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

Debbie, how long ago did you get your dentures?

1.5K Messages

• 

25.4K Points

Debbie you should inquire about a Reline. They will take impressions with your denture in your mouth and then leave the denture with them for most of the day. They will trim away where it is bulky. If it's too thick in the palate they need to remove some. The palate of an upper denture typically should only be 3-4 mm thick. If you have a ruler check that out. Hope that helps.