Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

39 Messages

• 

992 Points

Mon, Nov 20, 2017 12:47 AM

Choking danger, on hard candy

Just warning you to be careful. I now have full upper and lower dentures. Probably half a dozen times, sucking on a hard candy, it has slid back on the upper palate and I have come near to choking on it. I must consciously keep it in my cheek. Please be careful. I never had this problem before dentures.

Responses

125 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

3 years ago

I have a problem swallowing big pills like vitamins. Something about the artificial palate makes em go the wrong way.

8 Messages

• 

200 Points

3 years ago

I thought that only happened to me. I have had my new temporary upper plate for just over two weeks, I decided to have a life saver and thank God my friend was near by because he probably saved me. It went down the wrong way and that was that. Now I am super careful about everything I think of putting in my mouth. You are so right about hard candy danger

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

May be time to give up the candy? I gave up my constant gum chewing .

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

3 years ago

Same here. I remove my upper just to take my 13 prescriptions a day. Didn't have any problems before but as we know it's a new way of life we must get used to.

39 Messages

• 

992 Points

3 years ago

And I have a coughing problem. Dry mouth issue. Doctor says to suck on hard candy! That could be deadly!

238 Messages

• 

4.9K Points

3 years ago

This has happened to me a couple of times.  I serve on altar call at my church on Sunday.  It's kind of mandatory that we have breath mints, which are usually the hard lifesaver kind, in our pockets at all times.  We're supposed to take care that we freshen our breath right before we go up front especially, or in the prayer room when called upon - but I'm going to buy some of those Listerine melts instead.  Hard candies are not a good mix with upper dentures!

230 Messages

• 

4.3K Points

I love those!!

42 Messages

• 

582 Points

Dollar tree sells the Listerine papers! Is this what you mean? They are wonderful.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

3 years ago

They make a dry mouth lozenge. Cannot remember the name. It sticjs to you cheek and slowly dissolves. I take meds without mine in wheneve possible. I have troubke swallowing anyway.

125 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

I think it's called Biotene. They make a mouth wash as well as some other products specifically for dry mouth.

205 Messages

• 

5.1K Points

No, not what I am thinking...its in the car. Xylimelts!!!! It keeps my adhesive working since I have a dry as the sahara mouth.

238 Messages

• 

4.9K Points

Thank you Debi - ordering now!

211 Messages

• 

4.2K Points

I have dry eyes and dry mouth. I am on a prescription for my eyes but did not know about the stuff for mouth. I'll have to try some. Right now I feel like my mouth is full of cotton.

17 Messages

• 

292 Points

Try lemon hard candy it will make you produce saliva!!