Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

Wed, Dec 4, 2013 11:28 PM

Chew

Day two of full denture on top and partial on bottom. Already sick of ensure. I tried to eat chicken and stars and it was like I couldn't even chew the stars. my bit fells off. Is this normal and when if ever will I be able to chew??

Responses

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I have had my dentures 9 days now, and only tried to eat with them once. It was terrible. I never knew it would be so bad. They are full dentures and I gag all the time and have to take them out.

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

7 years ago

I just had my upper lined and it helped. I had some soup today and seems to be getting easier as the days go by, I only hope the same for you Ann.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I have been trying to keep my dentures in all day, but it is really hard. When I got them, they worked on them about 2 hours, grinding them down. They told me, I would probably have to get use to the gag reflex, but it isn't going away. I may make a dentist appointment next week. I have a Christmas party on Dec. 19th, and I won't be going if I can't use my teeth. I can keep the bottoms in, and they feel ok, but the tops are what are gagging me.

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

7 years ago

I had that same gag reflex going too. Mine are better now that my top in more secure. Hope it gets better for you.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I put polygrip on my teeth today. And it seems to help a lot with the gag. I have worn my teeth for about 6 hours, which is great!!! Usually I can wear them a few min at a time, and have to take them out. I tried eating with them, and this isn't going well.

11 Messages

• 

420 Points

7 years ago

I've had my uppers since August. I've tried several adhesives and settled on Fixodent Food Seal. I can eat almost anything with it and it holds firmly without the dentures moving at all. Rock solid to the point that I almost forget I've got fake teeth in my mouth. I'd highly recommend anybody having a problem with the various adhesives to give it a try.

As for the gag reflex, I don't have an answer since that wasn't a problem.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

'thanks, I will try that. I tried eating tonight with the teeth in. Even though I had some Fixodent, the bottom kept moving. When I go to the store I will look for Fixodent food Seal. Thanks

11 Messages

• 

420 Points

I don't know about the bottoms. I'll be getting bottom partials in January or Feb. I've heard that they're a whole other thing. I can only say that, for uppers, the Fixodent Food Seal works beautifully, although.

I do need to correct my previous comment. When you eat hot food, the adhesive does sometimes, not always, loosed slightly. All brands, and I've tried all of the most common, seem to have that problem though so it isn't a unique problem. You can solve that to a degree by chewing on both sides of the mouth. For example, if eating meat take two small pieces and chew them one on each side. It does help.

4 Messages

• 

100 Points

Thanks Charles, it is getting easier as the days go by.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

Thanks, for the suggestions. I shall try those. I keep trying. I have a friend that got dentures and never uses them, she gave up.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I tried eating a piece on both sides of my mouth. That works good. I am eating some spaghetti, and thought that would be easy. It isn't.

11 Messages

• 

420 Points

Nothing was easy for me for about 2 to 3 weeks. No pain but discomfort in the gums. Then, I guess with healing, etc it began to get easier. Plus, I was trying different ways of eating and staying with what seemed to work. My biggest annoyance was talking. If I didn't slowly and carefully form my words, I lisped.

Now, after 4 months, it's all in the past and I can mostly eat whatever I want and I'm even speaking normally. And, next month the permanent lining should go on and the lower partials be fitted and I imagine the learning experience begins again.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

I know what you mean about the lisp. I do that too, and when I talk with the dentures in, I don't sound right at all!!!! I think I am healed pretty good, as the dentures don't hurt. When I try to eat, even though I used Fixodent, the bottoms come up. I have many friends asking me to go for lunch, but I don't dare. I was hoping no one would notice I had dentures, but I believe everyone will know, I wish I would have never had my teeth pulled.

15 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I went to lunch with a friend today. I was really worried about it. This would be the first time I ate outside of my home, with my dentures. I have had them 2 weeks. Really, it went a lot better than I thought. It took a LOT longer to eat than it usually does....maybe I can loose some weight! LOL The only problem I had......I used Polygrip, and the bottom denture came loose. The top stayed put good. I find I am taking with my teeth together, and talking through them. I guess I am afraid they will slip.