mickie_a_ruff's profile

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

Thu, Dec 14, 2017 12:02 PM

Can't get my immediate dentures back in

I had my remaining 9 teeth and an implant removed 7 days ago. When the canines were removed, my dentist had to shave the bone above. I was not told to leave the immediate dentures in for 24 hours (at least that I can remember and my husband didn't remember my dentist telling me to leave them in)....I was gagging from the thick saliva and blood mixture and couldn't swallow or even rinse so I took them out after about 5 or 6 hours. I tried to put them back in the next morning but the pain was excruciating.
I went back to the dentist on the 5th day to have sutures removed. They filed down the inner part of the denture but it still wouldn't go in. They said to give it another week.
I have been using ice packs, rinsing three times a day and taking pain killers as needed. I have high blood pressure and I am taking meds that prevent me from taking anti-inflammation drugs. 
I am healing nicely, except where the bones were shaved. I just can't get the dentures to pop over this area due to the pain and shape of the denture. I have tried everything.
I go back in 3 days before Christmas for a soft reline and I am worried that I still won't be able to get them back in.
Has anyone else gone through this? 

Responses

1 Message

• 

60 Points

7 m ago

I had 7 teeth removed last Friday and immediate dentures placed in. I was told to keep them in for 3 days only taking them out to clean...I had no problems. Painful but okay. Never got any pain meds only Tylenol and Advil... Which don't work. I ended up keeping them in for 4 days then in the morning I was in so much pain I took them out and my whole gum line is covered in sores. Ugh so I kept them out informed the dentist but couldn't get in until the next day which was fine they told me to keep them out until I went there so I brought them with me and we could not get them back into my mouth. I am so terrified that I will never get them back in my mouth. Today is day three of not wearing them at all and I still can't get them into my mouth. I am supposed to keep them out all weekend and then I don't see him until wednesday. My biggest fear is that I will never be able to get them back in, anyone else deal with this? The pain is excruciating. 

7 Messages

• 

132 Points

@Luckchanges

Did your dentist mention if your gums were too swollen?  Keeping them out may help the swelling go down if that is the case and give your gums a chance to breathe for the healing process.  I don't think there's any need to worry.  It's been two weeks since I had some front teeth removed and my partial placed in by the oral surgeon.  He told me to keep in overnight and remove in the morning.  I was trying to follow this direction but after two incidents that same evening of having to remove and apply pressure for the one sore spot that kept bleeding, it was uncomfortable putting it back in.  I called my dentist that afternoon and told him it was uncomfortable wearing so he said not to force it so I didn't wear it the whole week.  I saw my dentist last week which was 7 days after surgery and he made some adjustments and it fit better.  And, I'm still not wearing mine but only an hour here or there just trying to get used to this whole new experience.  My dentist did say I would probably need to have frequent adjustments and I think I've heard others mention that too.

1 Message

• 

70 Points

5 m ago

Very glad I found this site. At least I know I'm not alone! I had 18 extractions 5 day ago and got immediate upper and lower dentures. I wore them for 48 hours (recommended by Affordable Dentures, Commerce, GA). They were sore but tolerable the first day. By day 2, the uppers were massively hurting. To the point I was BEGGING to take them out for some relief. I could NOT get them out! The pain was excrutiating but after calling the dentist she gave me some tips to help loosen them (warm/hot salt water rinses and constant gentle wiggling). Finally got them out and OH MY the relief!  But they said to put them back in after a couple of hours. Well, as you can probably guess, that didn't happen. :( I can NOT get them back in. So it's been 2 days and I just tried again. The pain is minimal so it's not that I'm a big baby, lol, the tops just simply do not want to go over my gums in the incisor area. I am guessing there is just still too much swelling. I had stomach surgery in 2017 and was advised not to take NSAIDS so I did not get any anti-inflammatory meds in the beginning. However, yesterday I did buy some Ibuprofen to hopefully help. I've been out of work all week and I was really hoping to return on Monday with my teeth in but after reading here it looks like it might be another week before I can actually get these in again. (The bottoms are fine although a little loose now.) I do not go back for my first soft liner/adjustment until the 26th (10 more days).

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

I am having the same issues with mu tops.  I had a 19 tooth extraction on Feb 18th ( 4days ago) i cant get my tops in at all. The roof of my mouth is raw in spots i can only assume from where the freezing injections went in. Im having issues over my incisors as well as the far back molar. 

Bottoms go in quite easily but find i am getting sore spots at my incisors and back molar areas most likely due to rubbing.  I go in tomorrow (feb 23rd) for follow up. I have a feeling i will be going back to work with no teeth in.

7 Messages

• 

132 Points

I hope all goes well tomorrow and that you get some relief.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

4 m ago

I am on day 4 of a 19 tooth extraction, full top denture and partial bottoms. I have been able to take the bottoms in and out woth little to no issues.( the odd sore spot on my gums from them rubbing) but my tops i had to take out the same night they went in due to the roof of my mouth and far back right corner. 4 days in and I still can't put them back in. Extractions seem to be healing properly just still having an issue with the roof and back corner (largest tooth extracted)

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

2 m ago

I am on day 3 of having 21 tooth extractions and and a full set of dentures. I wore the set for a little over 24 hours and pulled em out and finally feeling the relief of not having them pressing against the sores in my mouth. I left them out over night so I could actually sleep all night, it was wonderful. Next morning got up and tried putting them back in and I noticed I have sores where the denture was rubbing against the side of my gums, this would explain why everytime I tried to chew ANYTHING it hurt like hell mainly the top gums. I have been doing the warm salt water rinses. I don't see the dentist for readjustments for 8 more days. I'm going to take a page out my daughter's book and just eat popsicles all day to help reduce swelling. On the note of eating I have had a hard time eating pretty much anything, last night I managed some pudding after I took out the denture, yes all I've had to eat for 3 days are 2 pudding cups, because with it in I kept having a gag reflex even when I put something small like a pain pill in my mouth. The bright side is I am no longer bleeding "unless" I try to put top dentures in and then the sore spots push out a little blood. I understand that these dentures need to be adjusted and that my mouth is swollen, but I'm just going to leave at least the top ones out for a day or 2, maybe even 3 to let the sores from the dentures being not adjusted yet on the side of my gums heal up before I accidently cause one to bleed again. I know I'm not asking any questions or anything but I figured people would like to know about my experience, as we live in the age of information and I did tons of research on dentures and everything around them. If there is one piece of advice I have is that you should prep the food you need before getting the dentures, it happened to slip my wife's mind that I had dentures day 2 and she cooked us some nice looking steak that I stared at for a while. Lol

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

@critterc day 5 now, 2 days ago I went into the dentist office when I told them I was having a hard time putting the tops back in. The dentist popped em into my mouth and I bit down, sat up and tried to talk and they fell back out. Not to mention when she popped em in I had tears coming out of my eyes from the pain of the back right corner mainly and some pain from where the dentures were rubbing against my gums before. Well after that they said I could use seabond at this point to keep them in place. When I got home I did this and that lasted about a good 20-30 minutes before I pulled them out because I couldn't even talk without being in a decent amount of pain. I do understand it will be a bit before my gums heal up and I am starting to think I wont be comfortably wearing these things until the first soft liner goes in on this upcoming Friday. With that said, my gums are still a little sore from the extractions, I mean hey it was 21 messed up teeth pulled out, but it's manageable. At the moment I do no regret my decision to get dentures at this point in my life because the pain from just ONE toothache hurts worse then this and I had a lot of teeth aching, excluding the top denture on the top right corner hurting me. I honestly just hope I can get back to a feeling of normal here soon. Oh and as for food, I had some chicken salad last night, mashed potatoes, and potato salad. Not easy eating with nothing in my mouth while trying to avoid where the bulk of my teeth were pulled, but my god did my stomach thank me after that. I am also a smoker but I haven't smoked since the extractions and honestly it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I found smoking was more of an oral fixation for me anyway and right now I have plenty I need to do with my mouth.

3 Messages

• 

80 Points

Im 2 mths post extraction and i still have a couple tender spots,  i have had the first soft lining put in march 24th and my gums have shrunk so much since then the drop as soon as i put them in, i have to use an excessive amount of adhesive to hold the tops and bottoms they havent lined yet and they dig into my bottom gum line. I knew going into this it was gonna be uncomfortable but i wasnt expecting this. The denturist booked my next appointment for the end of June, i can garuentee i will be back before that as I cant wear mine for more then 4 hrs without developing pressure sores as i call them right where my upper canine teeth use to be.

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

Alright 7 days later 0_0!!!! Got my dentures in today and used some seabond, not going to lie it's still uncomfortable but it is manageable now, not like having to slide them over swollen gums like before where it just felt like I punishing myself for the sake of it. If anything now my dentures are a little too big due to my gums shrinking. Just a few more days until the soft linear gets put in and hopefully that will make the difference, at least for a little bit of time before my gums shrink more. Sorry for hijacking this post but I wanted to just give folks a consistent idea of what to expect and what I am feeling at these points.

4 Messages

• 

90 Points

About 6 weeks post. Had the soft linear put in about 2 weeks ago. It made a world of difference. Since then my gums have shrunk much more and I have an appointment for another realignment in about 2 weeks. Right now I can eat most anything except tough meats. I'm still getting used to talking and the overall feeling of them. I have no sore spots anymore but I did have a few bone spurs but it seems those are gone now. So long story short, just got to have patience and let your gums heal. If I had to do it again I would probably opt to not get my dentures for at least a month after extractions as I was eating soft foods the whole time anyway since I could only wear them sometimes before the soft linear got put in.

4 Messages

• 

108 Points

4 d ago

I wouldn't trip too hard because if they don't go in then that's not your problem..that's your dentist or denturist's. So they better get busy on a better pair that fit over your gums!! It's not like you could wear them even if you weren't in excruciating pain.