Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2 Messages

• 

92 Points

Thu, Dec 14, 2017 12:02 PM

Can't get my immediate dentures back in

I had my remaining 9 teeth and an implant removed 7 days ago. When the canines were removed, my dentist had to shave the bone above. I was not told to leave the immediate dentures in for 24 hours (at least that I can remember and my husband didn't remember my dentist telling me to leave them in)....I was gagging from the thick saliva and blood mixture and couldn't swallow or even rinse so I took them out after about 5 or 6 hours. I tried to put them back in the next morning but the pain was excruciating.
I went back to the dentist on the 5th day to have sutures removed. They filed down the inner part of the denture but it still wouldn't go in. They said to give it another week.
I have been using ice packs, rinsing three times a day and taking pain killers as needed. I have high blood pressure and I am taking meds that prevent me from taking anti-inflammation drugs. 
I am healing nicely, except where the bones were shaved. I just can't get the dentures to pop over this area due to the pain and shape of the denture. I have tried everything.
I go back in 3 days before Christmas for a soft reline and I am worried that I still won't be able to get them back in.
Has anyone else gone through this? 

Responses

1 Message

• 

60 Points

11 days ago

I had 7 teeth removed last Friday and immediate dentures placed in. I was told to keep them in for 3 days only taking them out to clean...I had no problems. Painful but okay. Never got any pain meds only Tylenol and Advil... Which don't work. I ended up keeping them in for 4 days then in the morning I was in so much pain I took them out and my whole gum line is covered in sores. Ugh so I kept them out informed the dentist but couldn't get in until the next day which was fine they told me to keep them out until I went there so I brought them with me and we could not get them back into my mouth. I am so terrified that I will never get them back in my mouth. Today is day three of not wearing them at all and I still can't get them into my mouth. I am supposed to keep them out all weekend and then I don't see him until wednesday. My biggest fear is that I will never be able to get them back in, anyone else deal with this? The pain is excruciating. 

5 Messages

• 

112 Points

@Luckchanges

Did your dentist mention if your gums were too swollen?  Keeping them out may help the swelling go down if that is the case and give your gums a chance to breathe for the healing process.  I don't think there's any need to worry.  It's been two weeks since I had some front teeth removed and my partial placed in by the oral surgeon.  He told me to keep in overnight and remove in the morning.  I was trying to follow this direction but after two incidents that same evening of having to remove and apply pressure for the one sore spot that kept bleeding, it was uncomfortable putting it back in.  I called my dentist that afternoon and told him it was uncomfortable wearing so he said not to force it so I didn't wear it the whole week.  I saw my dentist last week which was 7 days after surgery and he made some adjustments and it fit better.  And, I'm still not wearing mine but only an hour here or there just trying to get used to this whole new experience.  My dentist did say I would probably need to have frequent adjustments and I think I've heard others mention that too.