Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

50 Messages

• 

1K Points

Thu, Jun 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Are the Dentures supposed to meet together like my real teeth

Hi it's Diane again I have a question about how the Denture supposed to fit I've already posted something about them pulling out at least the top one falling out but I'm a jewelry designer and there are times when my teeth used to be my third hand and I was designing today and making a piece and I tried to grab the end of The Wire between my teeth and I couldn't get them to meet are they supposed to meet like my regular teeth because they don't at all so I just lost my third hand and I'm going to have to run her to how to work with just the two again unless that's something I should ask the dentist about and that is an adjustment that supposed to be made but I don't know this is my first go-round so I don't know what to expect any advice would be greatly appreciated

Responses

191 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

3 years ago

I don't believe you will be able to hold, bite, snip or use your teeth anymore.  I would ask your dentist anyway.  I understand what you mean by 3rd hand and jewelry making.  Even if your dentures meet, just the force of the wire, or thread would yank them out.

80 Messages

• 

3.8K Points

3 years ago

Diane: I have had a fairly benign experience with the dentures that I got on March 8, 2017, but I have to tell you one of the sacrifices that I - and probably most of us - have made is that we lost a good bit of our bite force. I have discovered that if I eat carefully I can eat almost everything I ate before, but I have also discovered that, like you, I've lost that third hand. It's a little frustrating, and I am constantly reminded of that fact when I try to do something that was made easier by using my real teeth.

The one that really gets to me is not being able to bite off fishing line when I tie on a new fly fishing lure, so I now carry nail clippers in my fishing vest. My guess is that you will adapt to it as quickly as I did, and I now realize that there are always some trade-offs when we trade our old problematic teeth for dentures. I always suggest when I post here that the good outweighs the bad for most of us, and I wish you the best as you move forward with the rest of us. Joseph

50 Messages

• 

1K Points

I I loved fishing I was born in New York but I grew up in Rhode Island the ocean state I threw a rock and I hit the ocean two things that were always in my trunk with my fishing pole and my bathing suit now I live 6 hours away from the ocean I live outside of Atlanta Georgia and let me tell you something there idea of an ocean is a mud hole so I'm jealous that you're still able to fish I actually have to go on vacation somewhere to go fishing now

208 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

The loss of bite pressure is an issue for me, too.  Its not really preventing me from eating or doing anything, but little things pop up - the little pickle slices on my burger, bacon that isnt cooked just right, pizza crusts.