dentureliving_faq's profile

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 8:54 PM

Are Dentures Suposed to Be As Sharp as your Natural Teeth were?

I'm only a month into my full set...so I try to remind myself I still dont have full "biting" ability. But, I feel like my dentures are soo dull, that they dont tear my food well at all. I'm simply relying on the strength of my sore jaw to 'pummel" my food. This is stuff that we would never think about before now, and I just wondered. When I take them out and rub my finger on them, the edges of the teeth are so rounded and dull, not like my own teeth were. Not that they were filed sharp every day! lol Or maybe the permanent dentures will be sharper? My dentist kind of looked at me funny when I asked hi, and he really didnt have an answer to this for some reason.
(from newsmileat40)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

I only have uppers, and I'm only a week into these immediates, so I don't have much in the way of advice from experience. I'm still stuck on applesauce and other soft stuff. But the pamphlet I got from my dentist said that chewing with dentures is more akin to a grinding motion rather than the old up and down of normal teeth. I can't say whether that applies to me since I haven't actually be able to figure out how to do that. How does one grind food between their teeth? *boggles* In fact, eating's kinda throwing me for a loop in general. It seems like I can't keep track of food as well, hard to tell what side of my mouth it's on, that kind of thing. I was taunted by a potato chip recently and nearly choked on the little fragments since I could properly guage how big they were or what.
(from sladeraccoon)

5 Messages

• 

126 Points

My dentures are dull as well. Really gotta think about each bite.or if you even want to eat anymore. Smoothies have become new way to eat for me

1 Message

• 

60 Points

Can dentures be filed?

815 Messages

• 

20.8K Points

That's a great question Kay! When you find out, I'll be curious about it as well! Are you in immediate dentures or permanent?

I think there is probably a difference but I'm not a dentist. I guess a better response from me is when you find out, please post on here!

Thanks

1 Message

• 

60 Points

I use to see my father-in-law use his pocket knife to trim his dentures.  I'm going to try sanding mine because I can't eat steak.  It's like chewing rubber unless I cut it into tiny bites which is embarrassing...

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

I am also a month in to my permanent dentures and I feel the same way! I thought it was going to be great to be able to bite into things with ease but I have found out that it is harder actually!!I hope it does improve as my gums harden and strengthen! :)
(from RBoston)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 y ago

I have had upper denture for 3 months. Dont wait so long to start eating solid foods. As with anything new you have to learn., things dont magicly happen. Making them nice and tight before eating helps tremendously. use adheasive. If the gooy stuff makes your gums soar (it does mine) I just remove it after I eat. I have to clean them anyways after I eat. Give it time and make a pact with yourself to find the way that works dont give up. I told myself that I had no choice but to make it work..It made me a stronger person. If you tell yourself this isnt going to work then it wont but if you tell yourself I am a strong person and these things are not going to take over my life find a way to make it work..Explore all options

(from tlr8460@yahoo.com)

200 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

7 y ago

Iam two months out still can't chew good dose it get bettet I star ted loosing weight now.hoping to hear from somebody about chewing food.

5 Messages

• 

126 Points

7 y ago

Bite on carrots. Toughen your gums. Helps to practice chewing

1 Message

• 

62 Points

4 m ago

My husband feels the same way that his brand new dentures are very dull & rounded and not sharp enough to chew up food.  Can you order dentures that are sharper?

10 Messages

• 

150 Points

3 m ago

do believe it is the classic for the temp but not positive. I keep the temp for an "extra" set just in case. The temps are made pretty good but not what your perm will look like. The perms are lighter and have a more precise fit. 

-Antioch Roofing Pros

1 Message

• 

60 Points

3 d ago

I just got new upper dentures 10 days ago. I have all my own bottom teeth. I had 5 broken teeth that had to be removed and I had 5 front teeth remaining, none in the back. So the dentist advised me to have the 5 front teeth removed so that I could be fitted for a full set of dentures. She felt there was nothing to use to anchor a set of partials in place. I've been struggling with the pain cause by them since.

I don't understand how people here are differentiating between immediate and permanent dentures. These are immediate dentures which my dental team defined as put in place immediately upon the teeth being extracted that kind of acts as a bandaid to the newly exposed gums and helps to alleviate bleeding. They explained they do this instead of having you go without teeth for 6 months as the damage to your mouth settles. And then fitting you for dentures. These aren't temporary they're permanent

The dentures are exceedingly dull. I really do not understand why they don't just sharpen them so they are at least almost as sharp as our own teeth.

I went back to see what could be done. They gouged a hole in the top of my palate which my dentist said was the worst they'd ever seen from dentures and the ridge of my gum on the left side at the 4th tooth is really painful.

They made some adjustments to my dentures shaving them down on the top of the palate and around the area of my 4th tooth. In doing so it gave some immediate relief to the painful areas. My palate is beginning to heal over the last 3 days. The sore spot on my gum felt better initially but now it's almost as painful as it was. I have another appointment on Tuesday, this being Thursday.

The advantage to them shaving the teeth down, I now have a couple teeth which are a bit sharper that allows me to bite a bit better. Bonus!!

I just put my dentures in a couple of hours ago and for the first time used a couple of tiny spots of polygrip. And as I've been writing this I'm eating some porridge.

I wish I'd actually used this stuff all along! Eating is so much easier! I don't know how much easier it will be once I try something other than porridge, though. Lol.

I've been getting really upset by the difficulty in biting and chewing food. Especially, reading that eating steak and salads may be a thing of the past. I am a meat eater and in the summer months when my garden is producing I live off of salads.

I need to find a way to get back to my old life. I mean I could stand to lose some weight. I love smoothies but they are supposed to be a treat, not a mainstaple. It's hard to eat healthy this way... And I'm a diabetic. I need protein to stabilize my carbs. I've been adding chia seeds and hempseed to my smoothies when I make them since they're a good source of protein. But they're also not easy to chew with dentures.

If love to hear if any of the experienced denture wearers have managed to work natural sources of animal protein back into their diet... And salads! I could really use a glimmer of hope here.