Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

Thu, Jun 27, 2013 9:00 PM

24 year old with dentures and I'm loving it!

In August of 2010 I received the news that like most of the women in my family, my teeth were rotting from the inside out. I was ordered to get immediate dentures.Devastation. I was depressed for about a month until I finally got up the nerve to tell anyone. A 23 year old, recently divorced, mother of 3 does NOT want to hear that she has to have all of her teeth removed. I ignored it. Until an infection developed and started to spread. March of 2011 I went to probably the sweetest oral practice in the state of Georgia, extracted what mouth I had left. I think the hardest part was not being able to eat. The second hardest part, telling my boyfriend of 5 months. Thankfully he has been amazing throughout this time. We're actually getting married next month! What helped me, was keeping my chin up. Crack a joke about yourself to a sibling or a loved one. Take out your teeth in the mirror & make funny faces. So, just take your weird looking smile lol, and eat something you used to avoid. What's gonna happen? Are your teeth going to fall out? ;) It's too late to feel bad about yourself. So, smile!
(from myfriendfixo)

Responses

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 years ago

I am so glad for you. You have real spirit. I wish you well. I will think of you in my "down" moments. At 57, I got an upper denture this past July. Although I am pretty well adjusted and almost never look back, I still have my "down" moments. I must confess that, unlike you, I never look at myself without my teeth.
(from IHaveAGreatDentist)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 years ago

Thank you! My way of thinking mostly consists of, if you act like you are uncomfortable with it, than you will never be comfortable. Granted, I smile more & I prefer myself with my dentures in. It is now a part of you, your jewelry, better for YOU. My 5 year old daughter after I had my extraction said, "Mommy, you don't have any teeth." I explained to her everything that happened, with tears running down my face. She smiled, put her hand on my cheek and said, "Don't cry mommy, I think you're pretty without your teeth." I think that is when I stopped caring what I looked like without them in. God bless you. And I wish you the best on your journey!

(from myfriendfixo)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 years ago

I am truly inspired by your story. I am 23 year old single mother to two boys (3 and 4 years old). I am devastated knowing that I will have to get upper and lower partials, 4 being my front teeth. It's stories like yours that make me feel so much better. I plan on keeping a positive outlook rather than crying about it. The partials will look so much better than the horrible teeth I have now!!
(from JulieP)

2.1K Messages

• 

54.3K Points

8 years ago

Oh I am so happy to see someone that is pleased with their dentures. I hear so many horror stories and I am waiting on mine now. Had my upper teeth extracted, but opt out to wait till the mild swelling has gone down to get the impressions done.
I hope I am sucessful like you!
(from SeeYa)

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

13 days ago

Hey I have read so many peoples storys about having dentures. I am 24 with 2 boys (3,2) before Christmas I visited my local dentist wished never attended. They gave me the worst news My two front teeth will have to come out and will end up having dentures. I am so scared and worried people my take fun of me. I been with my partner 8 years, what if he does a runner. How did you guys take the currage as I am depressed and anxious about this guys.

2 Messages

• 

70 Points

13 days ago

Hey I read your story and it wonderful, see I am 24 and I have been told that I got too have my two front teeth out as they rotting away due to much sugar they saying. I am so Nervous because I will feel like people will judge me. People will laugh. What advice you give to make people feel with denchers