Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

28 Messages

• 

324 Points

Sun, Dec 6, 2015 3:08 PM

1st 48 hrs adjustment period

I have read that I should keep my dentures in for the 1st 48 hours to speed up the adjustment period. Should I or take them out at night? Maybe I should just ask my dentist. Mon (Dec 7th 2015), I try in my wax dentures to check for color and bite. Then I get my real set. By the way it is both the uppers and lowers.

Responses

30 Messages

• 

724 Points

5 years ago

Keep your mouth rinsed with the salt water before you go to bed. If the dentures don't hurt you, go for it.....

306 Messages

• 

7.8K Points

5 years ago

You should keep your dentures in for at least the first 48 hours. There are a couple of reasons for this. The dentures act as a protective barrier. They protect the extraction site, kind of like a band-aid. Next, with multiple extractions, there is going to be swelling. Everyone is different, and the duration of the swelling will vary. But the first 48 hours are the worst. If you remove the denture, and leave them out for an extended period of time, your gums may swell to the point where putting the denture back in is too painful as your gums will now have the freedom to swell beyond the denture capacity. It will be extremely painful to force the denture back in. After 48 hours you can remove the denture overnight. This helps promote healing and allows the gums to rest from the continuous pressure the denture imposes upon your mouth. The key thing to remember with this process is don't rush it. Allow your mouth time to heal. :)

28 Messages

• 

324 Points

My gums have had over 3 months to heal already. My dentist said 24 hours at my progression. I get my final set on Dec 21st.