Skip to main content
Denture Living Community

208 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

Mon, May 14, 2018 4:31 PM

1 Year Post Extractions

All,

I've been away for a while and wanted to post a quick update.

Just passed the year mark last week (I had forgotten, luckily Facebook reminded me with a big old picture of my swollen face taken on day 3.)  23 extractions, immediate uppers and lowers.  I had one soft reline a week or so after surgery, a hard reline roughly 3 months later and I haven't had one done since.

Eating is second nature again.  A year before the surgery, I weighed 210lbs.  The day of my surgery I was down to 178lbs and NOT in good shape, physically or mentally.    Today, I'm at 205lbs and feeling so much better about my appearance, my health and my state of mind.  Food will come back to you, I promise - just be patient.  Learn to use your new mouth before you start graduating past soft foods - you can avoid a bunch of frustrations that I hard to work through :)

For those of you struggling with the decision to get your mouth fixed - please, do it as soon as you can.  I wish I had done this years ago!

Responses

10 Messages

• 

212 Points

2 years ago

17 days with a complete upper.  I have not had any adjustments yet, hope to have the front portion of the denture adjusted in July because I hate adhesive. The back portion has a lot of suction  My only worry is when the reline on the front is done, I fear monkey mouth, is that possible?. Or Will the dentist be able to trim the front of the denture to remove some of the bulkiness r will the denture be bulkier than now?  Please respond, eating soft food, chewing swell with no pain or swelling.  Thank you

208 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

I didnt have any of those issues, so I cant really speak to what a dentist can/cant do as far as adjustments go.  I struggled with monkey mouth for a few weeks, despite my wife's insistence that it wasnt there.  Eventually I realized it was perception, rather than reality.

27 Messages

• 

512 Points

2 years ago

Hey TJ it's good to hear an update about life a year after I'm on day 7 and it is getting better. And it's good to know that monkey mouth is mostly perception because I worry about that to even though I'm told by family they don't see nothing.

208 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

Thats awesome to hear.  It'll just keep getting better, too!