Help get this topic noticed by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook, or email.

I hate them!

First let me say that I'm almost teary eyed that I finally found people that understand what this entails. Next let me make perfectly clear - I HATE THEM! It's been about 3 months since the "procedure" and I've accepted this is now my life but doesn't make me like it any better. I had 10 teeth pulled on the upper on the Monday and was without till the Friday. Went through the pain and sores and everything ya'all did too -I had "final" fitting about a week ago. My dentist has been wonderful and I've met him at the office so many times at 7am for adjustments but nothing seems to make them feel better or fit better. I've lost 30 lbs and 2 clothes sizes in this time frame ( silver lining?) but it has not been worth it. I'm so sick of soft food I could scream - I still gag with all the glue goop - I'm tryng to sleep with them but gums really hurt in the mornings and the bottom few teeth gouge the top gums if I sleep without them.
I'm going to read every posting on here - maybe someone has "something" that will work. I actually found the web site looking for sample stuff, thinking maybe it is the glue that is the problem. It holds pretty good in the am but by mid afternoon they have dropped down.
I could go onand on - but you all have been through this so you know what I'm going through. Any and all advise would be very greatly appreciated
(from lcniles)
1 person has
this question
+1
  • lI am so sorry to hear what you are going through! I am still a newbie, so I don't have any answers. I just wanted to say that I feel for you! I had 8 pulled on top 4 days ago, and a full upper denture put in the same day. I only have a partial on the bottom since I got to keep my 7 teeth in the front on the bottom. But my dentist told me to take out all the fake teeth at night, and my original bottom teeth touch the fresh holes on the top, which wakes me up almost with a scream! This is a very difficult thing to get used to , that is for sure. I am amazed at how I can go from being mostly fine one hour, to feeling horrible the next.
    (from lngtalsal)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• Hi,
    Sorry to hear what you are going through, I am 1 month out yesterday with a full set of immediates put in (19 ext). The 1st week for me was pretty rough but not as bad as I really thought it was going to be. I still have a fulliness feeling with my top dentures and I go back to the dentist on July 7th and I am hoping they will shave some off the top. Try using the Fixodent powder extra hold since it's just for your tops I used it on my bottoms only (I really don't have problems w/top) but I had to switch to Super Poligrip because I wasn't getting that longer hold that I needed.On other sites I go toalot of people highly recommend the powder. I hope this helps! I have alot of people thattells me it just takes time and to keep going back to the dentist for adjustments until you get the fit that is for you. Also I sleep with my dentures out at night I kept waking up with really bad dry mouth, so now I soak them in cleaning solution when I sleep. I really wish you well! I'm sure you'll get there.
    Donna
    (from howardds)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. kidding, amused, unsure, silly indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• I also had 8 teeth removed on top2 days ago. My doctor said to keep them in over night, but take them out periodically during the day to rinse with salt water. If I kept them out over night the swelling would make it difficult to put them back in. I don't understand why different dentists would issue different instructions. I also feel pretty terrible, but my husband keeps reasuring me that I will look lovely once the swelling goes down.
    (from helnschool)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I got my teeth -full uppers and lowers yesterday afternoon. I found taking tylenol keeps my mouth more relaxed and from getting so tired. No real soreness. I am not liking the roof of the mouth being so close to my gag reflex area. Can that be trimmed back at all? I didn't need glue on the top until later in the evening. Then the top shifted a bit and was loose. I rinsed it and dried it and put it back in with a bit of Fixodent. It is holding well yet this afternoon. Swallowing is a trip and a half. I guess that will be better after a few days. Talking was the easy part except the ocassional whistle :) By Friday I will know where I might need any adjustments. The biggest mostivation is looking in the mirror at my smile. It was so ugly before. I am not ashamed to go anywhere in public now.
    (from patandfritz)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I am so happy to have found this site!!! Like many of you it has confirmed that "I am not alone"! I had 8 teeth pulled on top back in September and still have 8 natural bottom teeth. I refused to leave the dentist's office with no teeth so my upper plate wasalready made. This was not a smart move! Obviously, the denture was not going to fit after my teeth were pulled and healed. I found out that my insurance would only pay for one set and if I needed another plate I would have to pay for it. When I went back to the dentist she took out my plate and then couldn't get it back in. She didn't like the way it fit and made some adjustments. I continued to have problems and finally after a couple of months she took more impressions and made me another plate at no charge! Bless her heart. After several more adjustments on the 2nd plate she threw in the towel!!Apparently my gums were still changing and healing even after 5 mos. I resigned myself to the fact that this was the way it was going to be and I was going to have to use a lot of adhesive. I hated using the adhesive and I tried many different kinds. It was messy and gagged me and I had trouble getting it all out of my mouth. After talking to so many people that had dentures I didn't expect to have to use adhesives. Their plates all fit with just a "pop" in the mouth! And they never took them out except to clean them. This is what I expected of my new upper plate!! So much for "expectations"! After 7 mos. I still do not have a plate that fits and I do not use the adhesives. My choice! I have gotten somewhat used to the plate but I to feel like I am "all teeth". My upper lip has disappeared and I feel like I look like Ma Kettle!! Of course my family says I look fine. I wear the plate all the time because I am more uncomfortable with out it and my bottom teeth dig into my upper gums. My bottom teeth keep my upper plate from falling out and I have sworn that I will never have my remaining bottom teeth extracted no matter how decade they get. I have medical problems, one of which caused my teeth and all previous dental work to fall out. The fact that I can't eat with my plate in I have to "gum" all of my food and find myself swallowing bites of food whole. Which is not good for my health problems. I have lost about 20 lbs and can not eat a lot of the foods I used to enjoy--so I go without! I am on a fixed income and can not afford another plate. I have not given up hope though! I have been doing some research and have found some dental clinics and dentists that may be able to help me inexpensively. The plate may not be the best but it will be better than what I have now!! I empathize with all of you.
    (from sburch98)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I started out using the gel,I hated the ooze.I tried the fixadent powder and was much happier.I hope it gets better for you.
    (from rallied3)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thank you so much for sharing. I am having the exact same problems. Ive had a partial on the bottom for about 2 years but that is nothing compared to the full denture. I also got a taste of life with dentures when I had all but 3 teeth gone on top and have had a partial dentureup there for about 10 months. It was bad but 2 weeks ago I had to have the last 3 teeth pulled now I have a full denture on top and I can't stand it. They never told me the bite strength is only 1/10th of a natural bite. I have to use the goop to keep them up. I am a teacher and the first day they were slipping.Ieat what you eat I don't go out much and I feel like I got a mouth full of plastic. How long did it take for your extractions to heal?
    (from wantimplants)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I know your post was back in July. Just read it as I joined group today. Hoping you are doing better. Similar position for me. Have a partial and dentist is steering me towards an upper denture. Am pretty scared. Have read great posts about experiences and some awful ones too. I am also a teacher and that makes it even a bit more scarier. Again - just wanted to see how you were doing and any advice.
    Take care.
    (from Trekker4)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm